Manu Fieldel
Years ago

Quality and aesthetic of NBL down this season

The stars are gone, athleticism has taken a hit and we aren't seeing the dunks.

NBL is trash this season, isn't it just.

Topic #44323 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

The stars are gone, athleticism has taken a hit, $1K bets aren't getting up, and we aren't seeing the dunks.

FYP.

But yeah, LK et al. overspent last season, they've now toned it down but we're used to a higher standard now after being spoiled. What to do?

Reply #717365 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I didn't get on, Perthworld. It was too long a walk getting into town and to the tab.

And you do realise I was taking the piss, right?

Reply #717368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney-NZ game looked great for highlights. Lots of nice dunks and blocks.

Reply #717369 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Coming from Manu the Cairns supporter, I wonder why you're not enjoying it as much?

Reply #717370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So that is at least 2 people who missed the obvious piss-take

Reply #717371 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

That one handed 360 alleyoop by Deng tonight was awful, I know exactly what you mean. #hottake

Reply #717372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We've seen both a really high level of basketball, and a lot of super close games. Maybe the athletic level of the imports isn't as high as years past, but I also think the higher quality of play means pure athletes are making less of an impact and more all-around games are needed.

I agree, some high flying wings would really elevate the highlight reels, but give me substance over style - we're trying to elevate this league.

That being said, a focus on bringing back top Aus players from international comps, bringing more 'Rising star' guys in, and focusing on quality over quantity imports where possible as the depth of local talent rises, should be a priority, and all these things become more and more feasible as the quality of the league and the prestige that comes with that continues to develop.

Overseas Australian Targets

Xavier Cooks
Chima Moneke
Jock Landale
Deng Adel (should NBA chances fall through)
Mitch Creek (should NBA chances fall through)
Dellevadova (should NBA chances fall through)
Isaac Humphries (should NBA chances fall through)
McDowell-White (should he go undrafted)
Mangok Mathiang
Jo Lual Acuil
Ben Madgen
Brock Motum
Duop Reath
Matur Maker
Emmanuel Malou (or is this guy toast?)
Mirko Djeric

2019 Draft Prospects Bypassing college (Rising Star targets)

Akok Akok
Jalen Leque

-

If we were just able to bring a portion of these guys in, the league would be so better for it, and with local talent no less.

Reply #717373 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Nah it was a shitpost. No one remembers the thread from a week or two into the season saying exactly the same thing but being serious about it?

Imo this season is, so far, more fun than any I can remember in the past. As high-quality too

Reply #717374 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yeah I get it Manu, last season was better however but it's not like this one is horrible. Keep in mind I haven't seen any of today's games so the last one I watched was Taipans-Wildcats which was an absolute shitshow. Great, I missed the good ones today.

Too bad the blowout troll has disappeared since this season's margins have been super tiiiight.

Reply #717382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

damn, this forum is cancer

Reply #717389 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

100 per cent.

I'm shooting straight cancer into all these threads

Reply #717394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Failed shitpost

Reply #717398 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I didn't even check the OP's name before replying because this is exactly the kind of post I'm used to seeing here... :D

Reply #717401 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

You're forgiven, Gus

Reply #717403 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Nice one Manu,

Only reason this doesn't work perfectly on this forum is because of the number of negative and ignorant posters ala "Blowout Troll" etc that put up ridiculous comments about the standard of basketball which is not consistent with reality!

Reply #717404 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The "standard has dropped" types have lost Conger from their “gone from the league” lists...

Reply #717415 | Report this post

Food for thought  
Years ago

Yeah, I made the original post about the league losing style and athleticism, and from what I saw from today's two games, I've been made to eat humble pie. Both were great spectacles on TV and I am happy to admit when I am wrong. I think when I wrote that it was after a poor round. But some players have found their feet, and therefore found some air as well, and now you're starting to see some of that exciting NBL action we were seeing last year. So, yeah, I am here to say I was wrong, the NBL is moving in the right direction on court, and will only get better. And yes, we have Conger back.

Reply #717439 | Report this post

Chris  
Years ago

Sydney-NZ was the most fun game I've been to in many years. Bogut is a delight to watch if you enjoy well played basketball and not guys jacking up 3s all game. The NBA is unwatchable to me due to that fact, teams taking 30+ 3s and not working for quality shots. If anything the NBL has gone away from the 3 ball a bit to its massive benefit.

Reply #717461 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Its funny Chris, whilst the 3 point attempts have gone up overall hugely. The league wide percentage made hasn't really changed since the turn of the century. So much for better shooters...

Reply #717488 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"The NBA is unwatchable to me due to that fact, teams taking 30+ 3s and not working for quality shots. If anything the NBL has gone away from the 3 ball a bit to its massive benefit"

The thing is shooting a 3 ball is a better shot than anything except a layup/dunk, that's why they're doing it. I can understand that might not be for you, but I would rather watch a team find good high percentage looks and that's what they're doing in the NBA (and to a lesser extent all basketball globally).

Back in the iso heavy days I preferred NBL, but NBA teams move the ball now and its a lot of fun.

The only area the NBL has an advantage over the NBA (for me) is that, due to an anomaly with the salary cap, there is one team constructed so good that they're virtually assured to win. Aside from that, the daily/weekly games are better on every level in the NBA. Players, style, coaching, commentary, game presentation....no contest.

Having said all of that, the few minutes I've seen of NBL this season have been more entertaining than last season.

Reply #717525 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are so many dud games in the NBA but I guess the advantage is that there are so many games being played that you can choose to watch one that looks like being a good one whereas in the NBL you don't have that choice

Reply #717530 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

No argument that there are dud games, but that's true of any league. In the NBL if there are 2 teams you don't like watching that could effect half of the weekend's games. In the NBA there's teams you can avoid watching for the whole season if need be.

Seeing the same match ups again and again means, for me, one game a month of NBL is enough.

Reply #717541 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umpires are shite

Reply #718796 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:31 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754