Anonymous
Years ago

U18 boys in AUS

I'm curious about this age group.

There seem to be quite a few National team reps and or reserves playing for, in particular, one team here in SA.

I’ve only seen a few games and have been extremely underwhelmed by the quality of play.

Is this a weak age group at a national level?

I really hope a certain father has not influenced selection for his some to make the team as this undermines everything we try to be at that level.

Topic #44329 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Captain obvious here ^^^^^^^

Reply #717623 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Give it a rest.

Reply #717641 | Report this post

PersonalFoul  
Years ago

When I see people on here hanging it on parents & junior basketball I just shake my head. GET A LIFE!

Reply #717643 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

No the age group is not weak. Yes the selections are BS.
You're referring to the under15 australian team though (made up of kids from under 18 at district level?)
The team in mention didn't even make the winter GF with 3 australian reps.
The team who dominated (read, undefeated) ALL year had 7 yes that's right 7 state reps( between the metro and country team) in the team but none of them got an invite to the AUS camp so naturally couldn't get selected to the national team.

Reply #717647 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

this is old news

Reply #717649 | Report this post

Perth101  
Years ago

We all, and yes I mean everyone in Aust that is involved in high level basketball know that SA has major issues in their HP. It does happen in other States too, just not as bad!
You just have to look at the statistics (and I'm not talking about points on the board, but pts per average time spent on the court, turnovers, assists, steals) from Jnr Classics, across all teams/states to see who the strong players are and U16 Nationals.
Let's give it a rest, nothing can be done. This age group doesn't mean anything in the long run, wait until these kids reach the age of 18-21 and then we can see where they are.

Reply #717664 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Sure, however when one kid is stupidly talented athletic and turns heads like he does (including that of Ben Simmons) how the hell he is not invited to the AUS camp makes me angry.

Reply #717726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think it is fair to say we all just roll our eyes and move on at this situation.

When all is said and done with basketball hope it all works out for the kid.

Reply #717752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unrelated but are any scholarships going at PAC?

Reply #717930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA metro team under performed at 16s AJC horribly. And the individual your referencing definitely did not
Have his best tournament but neither did a certain kid son so go figure. I wouldn't of picked anyone from SA metro for aus camp based on AJC’s

Reply #717931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This boys u15 team imo seems like the least talented we've put together for some time. Early days but Schueller will have a hard time even making the WC I think.

The girls will struggle too again once they reach Asia champs, the coaches still haven't learnt that you don't need traditional 5 s in these tournaments. We simply cannot keep up with the pace of Japan and sometimes china and Korea. Nz are always getting better too.
We need speed and mobility + one o n one defense over size.

Reply #717937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Referring to the Winter season just gone, yes 7 state reps in GF winner and 3 Australia reps in the team that didn't make it and no one mentions the TEAM that took it to the 7 state rep team with 5 to go equalising but going down by 10 due to 1 players efforts on the 'superstar team’. The Metro team played off for 8/9 at Nationals. The TEAM no one mentions had 2 Country state reps that made 4th at nationals, 1 country reserve state rep thats highly undervalued being a defender. 1 metro state reserve despite consistently being one of the top scorers and rebounders in the state, a SCC player who did not make NITP, 2 Tiger former lower div players,ex South liwer div player and 2 ex Sturt div 3 players who could not get a shot at the Sturt team that also had many state team members and they beat them in the Semis in a thrilling 1 hour 40 minute junior game. Those players moved for opportunity and it paid off. This TEAM improved under a coach who worked to improve and develop himself as well as the boys, give the boys an opportunity and most if all play as TEAM. They punched well above their weight against these star studded team. That to me says that the formula and leadership of state teams in SA has some issues and that with relationships at National level may also extend further. Interesting season to analyse and could have been an opportunity to really break down the success and failures to change direction in this state. This 2003 age group should be one of the strongest in years with a lot if size and guard talent along with the 2001 year. And that age group also has some interestibf selections.

Reply #717972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Settle down Mrs Vivian

Reply #717986 | Report this post

grumpy oldie 007  
Years ago

What has this team achieved at national level and national competitions? One thing to win in Adelaide and its completely different to win at a national level.

Reply #718006 | Report this post

Anonn  
Years ago

Definitely a Tigers parent, not the coach. He would hate to be reading/marking that along with his day to day job :P

Reply #718151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats to the 2 boys from SA who made the Aussie team for Oceania , great to have a couple of 15 yo olds representing SA

Reply #718600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Against forum guidelines.)

Reply #719283 | Report this post

What a mess  
Years ago

"Performances back here in Adelaide mean nothing !" = complete lack of respect by BSA for the district competition.

So you are saying our HP Manager does such a poor job that he does not assess the kids playing district basketball on Friday night comp. I might add that same comp which which also actually funds his role??

Are you suggesting he bases talent identification on a few games played at nationals he sees?

Is that what you are saying? No wonder we are in such a mess.

Of course player performance and their development at the district level SHOULD matter. You have just identified one of the major issues at play 283.

Reply #719287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No it really shouldn't matter. Of course some kids will dominate their local comp: particularly when they're more physically mature than their opponents.

What matters is how their skills transfer to higher levels of competition i.e. nationals, and international competition.

Some of the kids that missed out from SAM clearly didn't have what it takes, despite them dominating the local comp. Not all though: I thought one of SA's guards was hard done by not to make the ADC.

Reply #719290 | Report this post

What a mess  
Years ago

No. It really should. That is what these guys are paid for.

Assess, evaluate and forecast talent at EVERY possible opportunity. Any competition is relevant, especially when it is the very competition that funds your role.

The fact they don't value it and don't do the hardwork to assess talent properly is EXACTLY the crux of the problem. Watch and see what happens here, it will just be another mess in a very long line of them. You will be scratching your head in 3 years time wondering "Where did this one go wrong", then you will remember what I have said here and go "oh, yea I was wrong".

Reply #719295 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

(Mod: Against forum guidelines.)

Reply #719329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The relevant point is that local form will generally not get you to an ADC , COE coaches select players from nationals not the local HP manager
I agree the metro guard was unlucky , a classy performer with composure and class , probably poor team performance hurt his chances !

Reply #719345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh. So why do we have the HP Manager again then?

Reply #719346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a stupid comment , perhaps look at his JD and work it out , Every state team announcement , NITP, Futures and like everything in SA basketball under resourced, underpaid and overworked .

Reply #719348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh I see. The role is to make announcements? Fair enough thanks for clearing that up.

Hope they can raise the budget for the role so we can maybe expand out some of the scope and depth of it. I guess it is tough to attract strong candidates with it being so underpaid too. Makes sense. Thankyou.

Reply #719352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that why he has to moonlight at PAC???

Reply #719375 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes that is right and to be the "model of success". I'll let your process that a little bit, do some analysis and figure out the failure that has occurred this time.

Reply #719414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You will need to join the dots to figure it all out.

Reply #719415 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh wait , don't distract me I’m still trying to connect the dots !

Reply #720060 | Report this post

Thread locked

This thread has been locked and replies are not permitted.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:37 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754