what u think

Topic #44426 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Perth are healthy and bring third import to go with HCA it's them

Reply #721110 | Report this post

Team Player  
Years ago

ABBA They predicted it in 1980. The winner takes it all, the loser standing small.

Reply #721116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ABBA pointed out that the winner took it all but they never knew who the winner actually would be. Hot Chocolate at least started the process of identifying who the winner(s) were. But further work was still required to narrow down the winners to who won "it all". Not to be confused with who want it all, which was Queen.
We have established that it is a subset of Every 1 but still don't have the final answer.

Reply #721121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Long way to go, if Perth get home court advantage will be favourites, Melbourne in second gear and have McCarron and Moller coming off the bench. Sydney still could figure promenantly if Bogut, Lisch, Newley, Randle can stay healthy and in form, there bench is not solid. No one else in it.

Reply #721129 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I think Melbourne will.
I hope Perth will.
Sydney an outside chance.

Reply #721130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United Kings GF series. Too soon to say who wins. Depends how banged up Bogut Newley & Lisch are. My money is on United.

Reply #721146 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Anon 121.

Sadly I got all the references.

Reply #721175 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

People predicting Kings in the GF need to remember that they would ned to win a SF series, with Gaze coaching.
Their chances of even getting that far rest on their ability to replace Wear. If they can bring in a stud 4 to partner Bogut, and leave Kickert as the backup 4/5, they'll go to another level. But the rumour is the money tap has been turned off?
I guess this will be the proof of that rumour, whether or not they can afford to replace the worst import in the league.

I think Melbourne have to be favourites at this point.

Reply #721284 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Still an open comp.

Melbourne, Brisbane, Sydney & Perth should qualify for semis.

If Sydney replace Ware they're a chance and top 4 looks pretty even.

If Brisbane get a gun third import pg they’ll have someone to drive the bullet train to the grand final series.

If Perth don’t get a third import the others are still a chance and the top 4 looks pretty even.

"Everyone’s a winner baby, that’s the truth."

Reply #721292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think united but if perth get hca hard to beat there

Reply #721699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who knows...

Reply #724749 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

People need to realize that Gaze might be coaching Sydney but Bogut is now coaching Gaze to coach Sydney. So Bogut is coaching Sydney. Gaze is just pulling funny faces and doing interviews (and doing what Bogut says). So Sydney are definitely a chance.

Reply #724752 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne

Reply #725456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne over Sydney

Reply #725458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Home court advantage for the finals will be massive, Sydney sitting in first at present should be an advantage if they maintain that spot. Don't right off Perth or Adelaide, Brisbane might go close. Melbourne don’t seem to have the balance right, very strong on paper but have been struggling in putting teams away and don’t match up to well on Adelaide or Brisbane.

Reply #725461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah whoever gets homecourt

Reply #726690 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Barring injury to Ware, Melbourne would have to be the favourite now.

Reply #727144 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane if the can get into the top two, very balanced offence and defence.

Reply #727155 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not Perth they are a joke.

Reply #727479 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Great insight there anon.

Reply #727481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy to have had a very early bet on United. Kings may do it. Perth, hahaha

Reply #727485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings v Brisbane GF. Home side wins it all.

Reply #727492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney or Melbourne

Reply #727532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne looking a bit like Perth to me, struggling on the offensive end, as with Perth just run plays for two players.
They will probably win the title now to prove I no f..k all. :):)))

Reply #727543 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Still going with Melbourne.

Reply #727549 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Recent moves and non-moves make this thread relevant again.

Sydney- does Turner shore up their chances of winning finals series?

Perth- does their third import inaction result in missing finals, or just making their semi opponent have an easier run into grand final series?

Adelaide- will a Moore replacement occur, and can they still make finals?

Melbourne- can Boone do enough in finals to get them over the line.

Brisbane- look good to me, but no big impact point guard. Gibson could be an X factor if he gets up enough for finals. He doesn't need to play big minutes, but if he can add composure at the crucial times he could win finals for them.

New Zealand- can Ili perform and lead his team in finals?

My prediction:
Perth will squeak into finals with a couple more wins on the back of Cotton.
Sydney and Melbourne will finish 1&2, probably with Sydney on top.
Brisbane will finish 3rd or 4th.

Whoever is seeded against Perth will have an easier run through semi final series. Both Sydney and Melbourne would benefit from this, and therefore be a good chance go 2-0 to start grand final series. Hard to beat either of those teams when you’re down 2 to start a final series.

Conclusion: either Sydney or Melbourne will win it all by finishing in top 2. Whichever team plays Perth in GF series will be the winner. For you betting types, maybe try to get on as soon as we know who’s gonna lay SF against Perth.

On the other hand, the whole comp has been unpredictable, so I’m very likely to be completely wrong.

Reply #728366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was five paragraphs of analysis to make the same point about Perth's opponent.

Reply #728368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee overall has had a very good season for Brisbane, even his defence has improved. If Brisbane get a little luck I believe they are a big chance certainly if they face Melbourne in GF, Lemanis seems to have worked out how to slow down Ware, Brisbane bigs match up very well on Melbourne as well.

Sydney it's all around there big four, Randle, Lisch, Newley and Bogut, they all perform at high level and get Wear or Kickett to do a bit there a chance.

Melbourne are defending champs, they will fight hard. IMO though there offence relies on Ware and Goulding to much though Barlow and Boone can be deverstating on there day. Kennedy has a big game reputation so could make the difference.

Perth should get there and still should not be written off, they are solid, if Brandt finds form and the TWO imports fire they will be fine. Solid players around Kay and Norton as well.

Reply #728382 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth will squeak into finals with a couple more wins on the back of Cotton.
Sydney and Melbourne will finish 1&2, probably with Sydney on top.
Brisbane will finish 3rd or 4th.

Whoever is seeded against Perth will have an easier run through semi final series. Both Sydney and Melbourne would benefit from this, and therefore be a good chance go 2-0 to start grand final series. Hard to beat either of those teams when you're down 2 to start a final series.

Conclusion: either Sydney or Melbourne will win it all by finishing in top 2. Whichever team plays Perth in GF series will be the winner. For you betting types, maybe try to get on as soon as we know who’s gonna lay SF against Perth."

This didn't work this way for Adelaide last year. They actually would have been swept in the GF if it weren't for the generous home cooking.

Reply #728383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne

Reply #729424 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Not Sydney I can't see them beating Melbourne or Brisbane in a series and possibly not Adelaide either.

Reply #729439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On present form it's got to be Brisbane or Adelaide, would be great GF series.

Reply #729441 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

I really have no idea who wins it all now. Anyone who claims to be able to predict this season's champion is either a genius or totally delusional.

I posted this in today’s game thread:

"Good game, might actually turn our season around. Still no clear favourite for the tittle."

Correct.

"Adelaide form team atm but still to much up and down from every team."

Have to disagree there. Adelaide too unpredictable and inconsistent, just like the other 7 teams. Hence why there's no clear favourite.

I had thought that the winner would be the team that finished 1st or 2nd, with the advantage to whichever of those played Perth in semis. But now Sydney or Melbourne might stumble over the line in 1st or 2nd, and still lose to Perth in semi final series.

Bullet train looks good, but they’re still not as consistent as you’d want them to be in the lead-in to finals.

Still plenty of interest in the season, and the finals could result in any of the 4 winning the title. This is great for generating interest in the league from casual or general audiences.

Reply #729592 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I think Melbourne are still the best team, and with a winning coach.
However what today's game showed is just how thin they are at the 1 & 4.
No Ware would literally mean no Melbourne. And they really struggle when Barlow is off the court.

On the face of it, Sydney should be able to beat them, but the question is whether Gaze can get the best of Vickerman???

Reply #729619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like Melbourne in box seat to host GF, will be very hard to beat from there. Only see Adelaide or Brisbane maybe having a chance and no guarantee both qualify.

Reply #730243 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

#Bump

Anyone brave enough to predict it now???

Reply #731158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're joking right? Melbourne are going back to back, even if it means Larry has to ref the games himself.

Reply #731174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm hoping we draw Melbourne in the semis because that seems to be the only hope of knocking them out. Nobody wants to play them in a grandfinal it would be a farce

Reply #731442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne...

but Perth bouncing back

and sydney gone to shit again

its insane

Reply #731676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide then daylight. Unless the universe screws us over again.

Reply #731679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne have not beaten Brisbane yet, if Brisbane end up fourth and Melbourne first, it could be interesting. Perth second could end up hosting GF again like when Adelaide choked two seasons ago and it will be shut the gate to Perth.

Reply #731681 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

#bump

Anyone brave enough to make a prediction now?

Melbourne are looking the least vulnerable, but too many of their important players are older and might suffer with successive finals series.

Perth seem to be recovering, but it's only been a few good games, and quality guard stocks are thin.

Sydney= vulnerability personified, not enough space to outline all the reasons.

Brisbane, might struggle to make the 4.

Adelaide, will struggle to make the 4.

Illawarra= the mathematical top 4 possibility now.

NZ= gone.

Cairns= never were.

Reply #732251 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

No team has consistently impressed me in 2019. I think Melbourne will repeat, but they could just as easily lose in the semis.

Reply #732253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United are clear favourites now IMO

Reply #732255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Took United @3.5 on opening. Happy with that. I did think the early odds should be higher seeing Kings were then the favourites.

Reply #732260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Took United @3.5 on opening"
Might as well have backed Melbourne to do a 3-peat, the day LK took over.
The only surprise is that he persisted with Demopolis for as long as he did.

I was a little surprised they weren't more aggressive in replacing Wesley, still better late than never.

Reply #732396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Melbourne flying to Adelaide and Sydney flying to Perth today, you would think both Adelaide and Perth would win, this would set up Perth very nicely for the home court advantage through the finals and GF.
This would mean Sydney would play Melbourne in the semis while Perth would get the easier game against either Adelaide or Brisbane.
It's Perth to lose from here.

Reply #733271 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Even if Sydney lose tomorrow, Perth have a couple of tough games at home versus Adelaide and in Melbourne to finish the season. Not home and hosed yet by any means. Sydney have a Cairns game up their sleeve but really need a win tomorrow for a realistic shot at #1... but if Adelaide finish 4th, not sure which of the top 3 would be enthusiastic about facing them first.

Reply #733280 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Adelaide have 1 game up on Bris.

But NBL app has them on same % (1.01).

Can Brisbane rely on finishing the season with a higher % than Adelaide? Most here thought Brisbane were ahead in the race for 4th because of % and run home.

If Adelaide can beat either Perth or Melbourne, they finish 4th. If they lose very narrowly and Brisbane beat. NZ very narrowly, that % gap might need calculating to a few more decimal places.

Interesting, but would you be tipping either team to win semi final if they limp into 4th place?

Reply #733332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane don't deserve a spot and won’t get one.

Reply #733336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 36ers are still 2 points for behind Brisbane's percentage (assuming the points for and against are correct on the NBL app), so Adelaide need to win a game if Brisbane beat New Zealand.

Reply #733338 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

But do they have the points correct???

Reply #733343 | Report this post

Who wins the East  
Years ago

If Mlelbourne beat adelaide melbourne win it all..if not who knows

Reply #733392 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

1650 AEDT

MU win against Adelaide

If Perth beat Sydney, they move to 1st
If Sydney beat Perth, they move to 1st

If Perth win today, are they guaranteed top 2?

Getting more interesting.

Reply #733521 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If United wins their last 2, they will finish 1st unless Sydney has two massive wins

If Perth wins today and then beats Adelaide, they'll finish top 2.

If Sydney wins their last 2 they'll finish on top, and they'll finish first if United drops either of their last 2

Adelaide finishes 4th if they beat Perth. If they lose, they'll finish 4th only if Brisbane loses at home to NZ

Plenty still to happen. Every game changes the equation!

Reply #733534 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That was meant to say...

Sydney wins their last 2 they'll finish TOP TWO, and they'll finish first if United drops either of their last 2

Reply #733536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another great season. Hopefully the equalisation money is even higher this season for next season so hawks and taipans get a few better imports.

Reply #733543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wish I had looked ahead enough to put money on Melbourne beating Sydney in the GF, back at the start of the season, or even when Cats were running amok.

Sydney will win their last game and finish 2nd. Perf will lose their last 2, and finish 3rd. So it has been written, so shall it be.

It doesn't even really matter if Joey blows it, and Perth finish 2nd. Refs can easily help Sydney to win a game in Perth.

Only real question remaining is who gets Finals MVP.

Reply #733702 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

My eyes rolled all the way under the couch and I can't find them...

Reply #733707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sticking with melbourne

Reply #733818 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Melbourne

Reply #733823 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

If Perth don't win it; it will be a choke on their part.

Reply #733825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think United is a level above. If Perth get Norton back and play their best then maybe they could challenge but I still couldn't see them winning a series.

Reply #733827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who ever finishes 1st will be in the box seat to win. Likely to play Brisbane in the semis who have looked pretty trash lately and so they should advance to the GF. Let 2nd and 3rd battle it out in a tough series which could go either way, then play with winner in a best of 5 series with home court.

Reply #733828 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

"..If Perth get Norton back and play their best then maybe they could challenge but I still couldn't see them winning a series."

How couldn't you see them winning a series? Yet will have home advantage on a semi, and a great chance of having home advantage - How does anyone beat them at RAC Arena?

Reply #733829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth won't have home court for the finals. They play Adelaide on Friday night and then fly to Melbourne to play Melbourne who will be well rested after beating Cairns and having an extra day's break. Probability of Perth winning both their games is approx 8.2%

Reply #733837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They dont need to win both games to finish first.

Reply #733838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why will it be a choke if Perth dont win? They started the season ridiculously well under exceptional circumstances, they fell in a hole in the second half, but have recovered to be in the hunt for first, despite not being picked to in that place by many before and during the season.

Reply #733839 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

No one is clear favourite where there is LV type daylight between top and everyone else.

So far this season Home Court isn't as safe as that, you still need to show up.

Perth lost to Cairns and were well on their way to losing to Sydney before some missed dunks from Bogut and Turner, followed by some unlikely threes from Martin and Kay and of course Cotton heroics.

Reply #733852 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"Perth would have lost were it not for the fact that they played better".

Well when you put it that way...

Reply #733870 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LK & JL have been getting in shape so they can ref the finals personally

Reply #733893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth now

Reply #734056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

perths to lose

Reply #735180 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I have said Melbourne all season but it's not too late to change my mind is it :)

Reply #738289 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Perth were $6 for the title at start of season

That was easily the best bet, but I decided against it out of principle

Decided that winning money from a Perth win would've made me feel too dirty

Reply #738290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But you have no issue blaming everyone else but your own team for losing games.

Reply #738292 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Wrong

United deserved to lose- you can't shoot 4 from 27 from 3 and expect to win a playoff game

(Just repeating that, since you must've missed the first 3 or 4 times I said it)

Reply #738293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah Melbourne or Perth

Reply #843456 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:44 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754