Jack Toft
Years ago

Adelaide v Illawarra Dec 9

Probably the game to watch in today's trilogy of terror. Illawarra buoyant after a win over the eternal bridesmaids Cairns, are level on the table (5 & 7) with the mighty Sixers.

The last few games these teams have played have been high scoring, but let's talk about the elephant in the room. There has not been any love lost between these two teams with niggly incidents marring the matches, and today the refs would be well advised to keep a lid on the game early, so expect a lot of soft calls from the refs to signal their intention.

In other big news, the value of the catering contact at the Arena has plummeted next year when Phoenix start playing Adelaide. Yep, you won't be able to buy hot chips because Mitch Creek will bring enough for the crowd.

But back to the game...Adelaide with fresher legs should be in the box seat with this one. Home court advantage also a factor with the Hawks having the bunk together for two nights this round. Hopefully they had enough time to duck home to get a change of jocks and socks.

Looking forward to another high scoring game. Sixers

Topic #44437 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

Adelaide will be seeking revenge after the last meeting.
They need winning form to stay in touch with top four.
Adelaide comfortably.

Reply #721390 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If 36ers don't win their season is done

Reply #721391 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Mitch is bringing the chips, the 36ers fans will bring the salt.

Reply #721420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

sixers will smash em

Reply #721422 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

I'm still not sure if Conger wants the ball?

Reply #721448 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

"Sixers will smash em"
That was true for about 5mins before choking a 14 point lead.

Reply #721450 | Report this post

Violet Crumble  
Years ago

When coach pulls you from the game and subs in Kevin White. Ouch!

Reply #721451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cedric is cooked

Reply #721452 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Doyle takes centre stage, scoring at will against Cedric Jackson

Nice

Reply #721455 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Doylesanity

Reply #721456 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Can we lock them in a gym until they know how to shoot free throws

Reply #721458 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

lol @ Wright.

Reply #721462 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Is it me or in the opening few minutes, did they miss 2 Adelaide points on the scoreboard?

Reply #721467 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

They did Holden

Not sure if it was ever added

Reply #721469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The points were missed on the tv score but correct on the box score and live stats

Reply #721471 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Anon #721471....I did notice that.

Reply #721473 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson can't cope now this league is decent.

Reply #721474 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's going down to the wire!

Reply #721482 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Free throws too hard of a skill for Adelaide today

Reply #721483 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Jordair Jeff amazing move. Wow.

Reply #721484 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Buzzer beating difficult spin move layup in loads of traffic. Oh me oh my!

Reply #721485 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

If you don't like that... You don't like NBL basketball!

Reply #721487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are Adelaide fans booing???

Reply #721488 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Sixth for Sixers.

Reply #721489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are booing because of rough play in the last two games by Jett and Anderson.

Reply #721490 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

So disappointing, 7 points up and lost it. Congratulations Sobey, all we needed was an easy 2 points but hero ball for the last three offences cost Adelaide the game. Poor foul shooting in the last quarter didn't help though.

Reply #721491 | Report this post

Peter Ward  
Years ago

Hahahaha "sixers will smash them"

Reply #721492 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Season just about over for us now at 5-8.

Makes the decision to sign an el cheapo import like Deleon and then hold onto him for 9 games before finally upgrading look even more stupid now.

Reply #721494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you kidding? If Sobey wasn't there it would’ve have even been a bloody game!

Reply #721495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah that last layup from Jett would have been rough if you were a Sixers fan

Reply #721496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Such a talented team and such an absolute lack of direction and intentionality on the floor. Every time it comes to the crunch you just know there's going to be some on the run, manufactured, forced shot. This experiment with turning shooting guards into point guards is just not working. No cohesion on offence, no reliable sets and no composure when needed. Fed up with seeing the same repeated issues every game. Sobey is a talented player - keep him in the 2 spot where he should be and find a real PG!

Reply #721497 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Sobey is not a point guard, he needs to be able to get out and run, wasting him at the point.

Reply #721498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Intentionality?? LOL!!

Reply #721499 | Report this post

Peter Ward  
Years ago

From the pearls of wisdom by Jack Daft - 'Adelaide with fresher legs should be in the box seat with this one."

Reply #721500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes down the stretch in close games you need a true point guard, and why did Drimic play 10 minutes more than Conger.
Great, great result for the hawks. Anderson playing very well this season as well.

Reply #721501 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Exactly Zodiac......

Now we have spent even more money to not make the playoffs.

Could have saved the money kept Deleon and use that money next season.

Damn..what a wasted opportunity.

Brisbane amd Sydney won so the gap worsens.

Reply #721502 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

As an impartial observer, I find it difficult to fathom Bevo starting White. Plus/minus of -23 today, eech.

Granted I don't watch many Hawks games though. Does White bring something on defence or another intangible?

Reply #721505 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't believe they had the same young ref on this game that was part of the last games issues and Vaughan having to babysit the 2. That was poor form NBl. And can they tell me if Moving Screens and Goal Tends no longer draw a whistle because I saw a heap of those. Time to clean up the hook going on as well. This is no longer basketball, its a bastardisation of FIBA and NBA poorly managed. Bye bye basketball. I would rather watch the cricket now. BBL awaits.

Reply #721506 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Speaking of babysitters, yours shouldn't let you use the internet.

Reply #721507 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Sobey replaying the Randle vs Illawarra finals series in his head.

Decided he would play the leading part of Randle.

Not sure why we held the ball up on our last offence. A quick shot would ensured we got to finish the game with time on the clock.

Still can't believe our mindset was hoping they didn’t hit a 3,2 or pick up a foul and nail minimum of 1 foul shot. This game has to be on Joey

Reply #721510 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bevo must love Adelaide. The gift that keeps on giving.

Reply #721512 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

Well, that was awful. I couldn't think of an ending that would upset me more.

All that was missing was Sobey confirming his SE Melb contract.

Reply #721517 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Suck it, Adelaide wankers

Reply #721521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #721524 | Report this post

PAC  
Years ago

The reason the 36ers lost that game other than the shocking free throws, disorganised offences and dubious refereeing, was that Sobey cannot make a quick decision about passing the ball. He is soo intent on trying to drive in on every play that he consequently dribbles into trouble, turns over the ball and passes to players who are not in a position to save the situation. Fair enough he had 24 points, but only because he WILL NOT and CANNOT pass effectively.
Have to agree with FM all we needed was to set a a 2 point play to win.....

Reply #721530 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

All about FT. You hit a decent clip and this game is over.

Reply #721531 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Yes down the stretch in close games you need a true point guard"

My first time seeing the 36ers in the flesh ths year. I felt they lacked an effective half court offence and I wonder how much of that is because they lack a true point guard. The early 14 point lead was wiped because Illawarra simply extended the defence and pressured the ball carrier. That generated a string of 36ers' turnovers and unstructured offences and the lead was gone.

The lack of structure in the offence was evident in the third and last quarters as well but not so bad, until the last three offences. Sobey over dribbled and showed no inclination to move the ball to break down the defence.

As FM posted, the last offence should have been a 10 secod offence so 36ers would get last use of the ball. It's hard to imagine a true point guard would not have realised that.

36ers also lacked any inside option today. No-one was able to post up and beat their defender. Johnson was MIA for some reason, Wiley was too small and Froling was manhandled out of position by Andersen.

Aside from the purple patch to start the game and Doyle's cameo in the 2nd quarter, the 36ers also lacked a reliable outside game. Drmic and Deng are far less effective, offensively, than they were when I saw them play last season.

I ran simulations of the rest of the season's games before I went along today and they showed the 36ers finishing 6th, behind Illawarra in 5th. Having seen them in person today, sadly I think that's where they'll end up. Today's loss increased the odds against making finals from 4/1 to 10/1.

Reply #721533 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

DJ needs to assert himself more at home.

Conger's play style has me questioning how well he'll fit into this team. Where Conger succeeded last season was in the half-court, get him the ball and let him go to work. Really ball-dominant. Adelaide don't play that way. The ball won't be in his hands much unless Joey lets him dominate the offence.

Reply #721534 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Conger had the ball and tried to take players on, a number of times today. Largely, he was ineffective. Admittedly, I think he had 3 fouls and sat a while in the 3rd quarter. That may have made it harder for him to get into the game. But he had chances to show his wares and wasn't able to do it today.

PS - foul shooting is a skill that, if practised sufficiently, should be 90% accurate (as many current and past players have shown). Two teams missing 20 of their collective 50 foul shots is terrible and nigh on unprofessional. I wouldn't give a busking juggler 20 cents if he dropped two of the five chainsaws.

It's worth noting too that if the 36ers had managed to shoot the same (appalling) percentage from the foul line as Illawarra, they would have won by 2 points.

Reply #721556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I didn't see Wiley running around like a spastic flexing his little skinny biceps anymore

Reply #721562 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

That's Illawara's MO, hang around, keep it close, pinch it the end. Best game I've seen jordair play. Nice body control taking it to hoop. Another one that got away from 36ers. Money time is all about making ball handling decisions and having the skills to execute. Not sure Sobey has his head for those moments. I would have thought on ball, pull up J should be his go to. He drives a lot but if he doesn't get fouled he usually bricks it.

Reply #721566 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

Manu Fieldel - you seem like someone that would be fun to beat up.

Reply #721580 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

What a piece of shit you must be, Pete.

Right name for it too. Signs point to double-digit-IQ bogan who needs insulin injections three times a day

Reply #721597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're both idiots.

Reply #721599 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

No objection here

Reply #721601 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

The lack of point guard is hurting Adelaide.
Sobey and Moore are doing OK in bursts but they need a top import PG to be competitive.

Reply #721602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JOey's NBA bound, cough cough

Reply #721604 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Qualifier: Pete does sound like a wanker who is salty after his side lost, but I shouldn't have said that.

I should have left it at "you're a wanker, Pete"

Reply #721607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to agree about the point guard, needed someone in that last possession to get a good shot instead of Sobey going rogue. Was Conger really the best fit, probably the dominoe effect of Creek not coming back, well done management again.

Reply #721612 | Report this post

Johnson isn't a leader. He's a fairy.
I only play Offense, no D.
Gets into the Boomers cos they are desperados.

So glad to ditch my membership this year for work.

Wonder what magic Trigg is doing? Likelihood, dipping his finger in the pie and taking what he wants. Dodgy ahole

Reply #721624 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So who is management by name that you refer.

Reply #721626 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Suck it, Adelaide wankers

Manu you type this in a predominantly Sixer supporter site.

If you like to troll online don't complain when you get the reactions you are essentially looking for.

Please go back to pretending to be a Brisbane supporter.

Reply #721631 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Wonder what magic Trigg is doing? Likelihood, dipping his finger in the pie and taking what he wants. Dodgy ahole

I really really hope that Steven reads this and asks Isaac for your particulars.

Reply #721632 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Bunch of crappy games today.

Conger's a good player, but that's a big change of direction for Adelaide to adapt to mid-season.

When you have a PG, not doing what a PG needs to do, then you need to replace him with a PG who will. Not see it as the opportunity to sign the SF you want.

Reply #721640 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

Not sure where to for Adelaide from here?
It's not the end of the world, had they shot their f/t's better they'd have won. I think they just need to knuckle down and work with what they have. It's still a good core, Wiley is a talent, and Conger will be a boon once they iron out the kinks.

Reply #721641 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Adelaide = LOL

Reply #721647 | Report this post

PAC  
Years ago

Conger can't make a play if he doesn't get his hands on the ball and I noticed Sobey was reluctant to pass to him.
Different game when Doyle came on. Much more ball movement, splitting the D and shots going down.
DJ's game was also not on, very unlike him.

Reply #721654 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Lovebroker, you're just as bad as Pete. Worse, perhaps.

I'll keep on bashing Adelaide, but need not stoop to the level of their supporters. You're right, I should come to expect it from you lot.

I'm all aboard the Bullets baby, you know this.

Reply #721659 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

I think sensible Adelaide fans know that they're team is stuffed this year.

Reply #721669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conger is a ball dominant player, last season in the end bevo let him run his way with no team success. Good player but with out a true point guard might not fit in. Adelaide have had a few close, even slightly unlucky losses, it could still turn their way.

Reply #721670 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"sensible Adelaide fans"

Thats a bit of an oxymoron.

Reply #721677 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Think we could get back to looking at the game?

Don't know what was going on with the 36ERS yesterday but they never really looked in control after the opening burst, and they were lucky even them, with a couple of lucky baskets after lost control on drives.

Lots of guys in wrong positions - not sure if they were 'wrong' or just a matter of one guy wanting to do something different from another one, so a lot of finger pointing and individual stuff, with Johnson, Sobey and Wiley all guilty of trying to win it off their own hand, or showing how good they were.

And the ball security and ball-handling, particularly by Sobey and Johnson ... woeful is as kind as I can find. I really admire skillful passing, and there were two or three gems, but there were a lot more fumbles, forced passes when they weren't 'on', balls dropped on the floor for a team mate to chase and pick up [the modern equivalent of a bounce pass?], rather than using the appropriate controlled pass - a chest pass or bounce pass come to mind.

The players actually looked like they were physically cooked, as though they were half way through a tough pre-season or something, though I can't believe that [over-work] was the case. Would have thought they used the fortnight off - which they effectively had - to sort things out so they could integrate Conger, which they obviously didn't.

As Joey said, the foul shooting [which on one level cost them the game] was as much a symptom as a cause.

Started to look like a team when Doyle went into the point and I'd like to see him used a lot more when they find they can't run, although I realise his stature is an issue in this comp. That said, their lack of size didn't stop Joey recruiting DeLeon or Randle.

Reply #721700 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Interesting to see someone mention Steven Trigg. I've been wondering if he's been the cause of a few issues behind the scenes. Hard to know I guess but his track record is a worry.

Reply #721965 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

So many teams have tried to reinvent the game by running without a gun PG. Doesn't work.
Perth have probably the best two locals in the comp, plus the best combo.
Sydney and Melbourne both superstar PGs. Its not everything, but its a big part.

Reply #722060 | Report this post

Pete  
Years ago

Let us begin, if I may, with your opening gambit; "Suck it, Adelaide wankers". High brow. Classy. Not attention seeking at all.

Your retort to my assertion that you may, in point of fact, benefit from being punched several times to remedy your idiocy was;

"What a piece of shit you must be, Pete.

Right name for it too. Signs point to double-digit-IQ bogan who needs insulin injections three times a day".

Anon then chimed in with "You're both idiots". I'd usually jump on the grammar attack, but in this case, Captain Rando nailed it.Can't fault you, Anon.

"Guy creating a fake name after a reality TV chef" then backs up with:

"Qualifier: Pete does sound like a wanker who is salty after his side lost, but I shouldn't have said that.

I should have left it at "you're a wanker, Pete"."

Disclaimer: I have a PHENOMENAL amount of work to do right now, as evidenced by still being online at near midnight.

That said, I'm happy to go wangs out to compare credentials, intellect, jobs etc. Crude, but you really do seem like a troll that should be called out. And you seem like the type to post lots but not show up in person.

Or, as I said, you can get punched in the face.

I can't claim credit for the idea; Maynard James Keenan floated the notion in the aptly named song "The Remedy".

If I may:

"Stick around if you're house broken
Can't hold your shit, hold your tongue, you got to go
Should you choose to react like an imbecile
You'll in turn be treated so

Yes, we’re being condescending
Yes, that means were talking down to you
With all that racket from your lips a-flapping
We assumed you didn't notice

You speak like someone who has never been
Knocked the fuck on out
But we have your remedy".

Slightly paraphrased for the sake of brevity, but I hope you take the intent. Again, I don't have time to spell it out if not.

In summary (hopefully - I legit don't have the time to belittle or beat you online or in person); don't be a trolling attention seeker. Trump has that role covered and he earns more than you.

Enjoy you NBL.

Don't keep being a loud mouthed dick.

Reply #722065 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

So no ideas on Steven Trigg then....

Reply #722071 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"So many teams have tried to reinvent the game by running without a gun PG. Doesn't work."

Here are the starting PGs on the GF teams over the past decade. Some guns on there, but plenty of solid players too. Reality is it's about the team you put together, how it functions and if you have a good spread of scorers/role players/defenders, rebounders etc, not whether you have a gun in a certain position or not.

08 Crosswell / Kendall
09 Gibson / Kendall
10 D Martin / R Martin
11 Braswell / Ubaka
12 Jackson/ D Martin
13 Jackson / D Martin
14 D Martin / Gibson
15 Jackson / Wilbekin
16 D Martin / Jackson
17 D Martin / Norton
18 Ware / Shorter

Reply #722074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great post paul. The evidence speaks for itself.

Reply #722095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

omg thats seriously funny.
tries to dsiprove the claim of needing good point gurdas by listing all the superstars that have won championships
I bet that argument sounded better in your head

Reply #722179 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

@Paul

I think that in referring to PGs you misunderstand what I mean by gun.
I'd rank Damian Martin as one of the best PGs of all time.
Jackson at his best was also a star.
Gibson, in his day, was touted as the best Aussue PG

Reply #722193 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I rank Damian Martin as one of the best too, as I said in that post "some guns on there, but plenty of solid players too".

Rhys Martin, Adam Gibson, Shannon Shorter, Mitch Norton, Paul Henare, Kevin Braswell, Luke Kendall, Nathan Crosswell weren't guns, they were all guys who played a role for their team and did it well.

I was responding to the comment "so many teams have tried to reinvent the game by running without a gun PG. Doesn't work." It can and has worked very well if your team is set up well in the other positions.

Reply #722211 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Jackson at his best played in the league at it's worst though.

Reply #722212 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not really, 2015 and 2016 the league was very good and he was first in assists and 2nd/3rd in steals, not to mention GF MVP in 2015.

Reply #722214 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:25 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754