Anonymous
Years ago

Any word on the new Brisbane import?

Commentators were mentioning it last Bullets game.

Who do they target?

Topic #44448 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kendle was pretty good on Saturday. I'd say wait until after tonight before committing

Reply #721735 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Haven't they already hinted a strong candidate? No not Baron Davis.

Reply #721739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would dump the Japanese guy and keep Kendle and get a 3rd import instead - financially Kendle would be cheaper than the Japanese guy.

Reply #721743 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hiejima although an end of bench player brings in a lot of Japanese eyeballs as you can see on any Bullets post mentioning him on social media which helps for both sponsorship reasons and potential buyers.

Reply #721746 | Report this post

Bill Scibilia  
Years ago

Hiejima doesn't classify as a import anon :)

Reply #721748 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

The asian players should not only be classed as non imports (which they already are) but also be exempt from the salary cap. Main thing they do at this stage is bring international attention to NBL in our region. Unless the Kings or Perth sign someone like Yi Jianlin (excuse spelling) they arent likely to have a significant advantage on court.

Reply #721755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane have 2 imports right now - Kendle & Patterson

Reply #721757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep Kendle. He'd be cheap enough.

Get rid of one of the three young local bigs Lemanis never plays, and use the spot to sign someone else useful.

Anyone know why the Japanese dude hasn't been played? Not even a minute in garbage time.

Reply #721773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

J Kendall

Reply #721846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

C Homicide.

Reply #721848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Get rid of one of the three young local bigs Lemanis never plays, and use the spot to sign someone else useful."

- hi mate , you can only change the imports during the season not the local players . That is exactly what Joey Wright from the 36ers complained about some months ago !

Reply #721867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If true, how could teams start the season with two imports then add another?

Reply #721889 | Report this post

Hoopsfan  
Years ago

Why hasn't that Japanese guy played? Because Andrej is a moron. Why play the guy that cooked the Boomers squad on the international stage and win games when you can be mediocre with a bunch of NBL players?

Reply #721902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The situation with the Japanese guy this season is going as well as the two Asian DPs they had last year.

Not sure if the Bullets genuinely thought anyone would be playable, or if it's a misguided attempt to capture the attention of Asian hoop fans in Brisbane. Or something else?

Bring on Joey in 2019.

Reply #721919 | Report this post

Tribe  
Years ago

As others have said. They should definitely should keep Kendle. He'd be cheap as chips. Now just sign a 3rd import.

Reply #721921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullets were going to keep Holt and sign a third import anyway, so they should definitely keep Kendle. He lifts their intensity on the court and has trained with them all season so they are familiar. He is a good fit.
They should sign an import SF/PF, cause they are very shallow after hodgeson and bairstow. Vukona is awesome and should be the first guy picked on a squad....but is not big enough

Reply #721950 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Main thing they do at this stage is bring international attention to NBL in our region"

In fairness Curtley, that's what NBL said the rule was intended to do. i.e., they said only players from large potential TV markets in Asia would be considered for import exemption under this rule.

Reply #721976 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Good call about the salary cap exemption I reckon.
It would be nice if Hiejima could even get a token minute though.
Have a play drawn up for the guy like the Wildcats did the other day. If he happens to score then suddenly you've got an NBL clip on the news in front of millions of new people.

Reply #721977 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I would leave the roster exactly as it is. They are playing good basketball, and have flexibility is someone gets injured. Bringing in someone else now might muck up a good thing.

Hiejima is a really nice player in the Asian game, but it's a big. step up to the NBL, particularly in intensity and physicality so it will take time for him to adjust, if he ever gets there. I would like to see him out there at least for a few seconds though!

Reply #721995 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kendle gives them a different edge to their guard attack. Gibson hasn't shown any real ability to penetrate and create plays (body has slowed down); and Cadee has been inconsistent with his shooting.

Kendle has shown an ability to address both those areas so far;

Reply #721998 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Worse players than Hiejima have got time with NBL clubs this year. You have brought him over so give the guy a chance to play. There were plenty of opportunities early on when the bullets were struggling.

Reply #721999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why bring the Japanese guy over if you're not going to play him? All the Japanese media are doing is bagging Brisbane/Lemanis for not playing him.

Go with this
Cadee/Gibbo
Gliddon/Kendle (Cheap)
Patterson/Import
Vukona/Te Rangi
Hodgson/Bairstow

Reply #722002 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I believe Hiejima approached the Bullets wanting the opportunity. Spending a year training at this level will definitely better him, hopefully he gets a chance to play though.

Reply #722012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would appreciate if people stopped talking shit and just name dropped thanks

Reply #722018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hijema isn't a bad player I just don't see the purpose in bringing in a foreign player to have him be 11th man - I would rather give that opportunity to a young Australian.

Reply #722030 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

"Good call about the salary cap exemption I reckon"

There is no salary cap.

The problem is the 5-man cap.
You can pay an Asian-Market player whatever you want, but you still must have 5 other players within that cap.

Reply #722039 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"There is no salary cap.
The problem is the 5-man cap."

Which is a salary cap. Duhhhh.

Reply #722040 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

No SFB, its a cap on the 5 lowest paid players. Outside that teams can pay players whatever they like. ie No Salary Cap.

Reply #722058 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Gliddon is the only Bullet not producing per minutes played. He always looks like he could break out, but goes missing too often for mine. Cadee and Gliddon similar types. Cadee can take it to hoop better. Outside shooting is hot, cold for both and neither is up to it defensively.
Kendle has given them energy and scoring punch. I like to role Gibson is playing, D's it up, rarely takes a poor shot and holds the fort for 12-15 minutes.

Reply #722369 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:42 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754