Isaac
Years ago

36ERS lift at home, defeat champs

It's been a common feeling over the last few years -- the Adelaide 36ERS elevating their game to defeat the deep, visiting Kings -- and tonight was no exception. The Sixers used a 12-0 opening en route to a 30-18 first quarter as a starting point for an eventual 5 point win.

It was Willie Farley who paced the Sixers, scoring 12 points in the first quarter, and combining with Mark Nash to put the home side ahead early. The Kings struggled to contain the home team's outside scoring, and found the Adelaide defense rock-solid as David Cooper, especially, intercepted incoming Sydney feeds.

The 36ERS won the key categories (Jacob Holmes contributed 12 rebounds as part of a 53-45 edge on the boards) and despite an average performance from the charity stripe (53%), pushed past the Kings. No Sydney player was really able to establish themselves, though Luke Kendall nailed some key final quarter threes to hold the result in doubt until the last few minutes. Sydney's 43 three point attempts saw many rebounds fall far from the basket, and led to key rebounding from Adelaide's guards -- Brett Maher adding a solid 9 rebounds to his game-high 26 points and 6 assists, and Willie Farley pulling down 7 rebounds for himself.

The Kings core was left lacking, Jason Smith shooting a woeful 4 of 15 for only 11 points in 41 minutes, and young gun Mark Worthington scoreless from the field, adding only two free throws to his personal tally. Kendall had 21 points, and CJ Bruton was quiet but able with 21 also. Making the most of his time on court was David Barlow, who had 16 points, 7 rebounds and 6 assists in 25 minutes.

Mark Nash's scoring was a highlight in the first half as the careful forward made efficient use of his time and scored 15 points all up (14 in the first half) off 67% shooting. After the long break, it was Maher, Rychart and Farley who contributed the most offensively, and the Kings were forced to foul at times, leaving Rolan Roberts out of the game on six fouls early in the last term.

Though Adelaide lost the final quarter, the result was fairly predictable after the first period run -- no fan doubted that Sydney would make a dash for the lead, and Brett Maher nailed an expected and particularly clutch three as part of 19 second half points, to secure the victory. The improved crowd lifted, knowing well that this was the basket that mattered.

Adelaide 99, Sydney 94. Maher superb for 26, 9 and 6, outrebounding almost everyone on the court. Farley impressive early for 22 points and 7 boards, and Rychart and Nash with 15 each. Holmes was lacking from the field (2/12), but useful on the boards, with a game-high of 12.

The 36ERS move to 3-1 for the season, and face Cairns at home on October 1. The Kings (3-2), meanwhile, visit Melbourne on the same night, before hosting Townsville in Sydney two days later.

Topic #4455 | Report this topic

what the  
Years ago

the kings look half baked at the moment - I saw them on fox give hunter a shalaking

and last night they never really got out of second gear / looke out of synch - especially on offensive boards

great win guys - willie & brett - on song

if our bench can produce those sort of points each week - maybe the difference from last year

good body work by the big fella - still waiting for that 3 pointer though

Reply #51733 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

how bad a looser is brian g. He did not shake hands with anyone and before phil was even halfway down the court he was almost at the players race. He just is such a bad sport, sure be upset but that was bad. Good game though by all.

Reply #51757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i saw him shake phills hand with like 10 seconds left in the game

Reply #51765 | Report this post

It was a great game to watch. I still would like to know what the T was for though.
Poor Filmer looked a bit stressed out and I felt there should have been more travels called but overall I think the refs did a great job.
Our defence was lacking in the last quarter, leaving the Kings open for outside shots. If they had taken advantage of it then the game could have gone either way.
Foul shots were also a bit iffy but the team plays were great to watch and as usual Brett's 3's were a gem.
Overall a good win for us and the numbers there to watch the game was great to see.

Reply #51773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bg was probably too busy chasing the umpires down the race.

Reply #51785 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

i stand corrected if he did that but he was off in a hurry, i sit on that side and i really did not see him go to the other players etc. oh well it was a good game.

Reply #51796 | Report this post

Wateva  
Years ago

The T was for some comment made by the player #10 who Filmer gave a charge call to. Kinda stupid to get the T really especially when Caroline was standing right there warning him to settle down.

Reply #51800 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeh i noticed goorj only shake hands with phil smyth but with none of the players. He seemed pretty annoyed with the refs all game but thats only cause sydneys dirty defence gets called at other venues.

They dont get away with the bumps and the hacks goorjan teams are famous for. Shows their defence is overated. Great game by Maher, outplayed Jason smith bigtime

Reply #51826 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorj is a gr8 guy trust me i after spending 3 yrs wit h da titans i nose.!

Reply #51832 | Report this post

basil brush  
Years ago

missed a couple too many friday for my liking - great game otherwise

Reply #51932 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:17 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754