Jack Toft
Years ago

Cairns v Melbourne Jan 13

Melbourne are hot favourites for the title, but Cairns have got re-newed confidence after some recent massive wins. The win over Brisbane broke the seal, then they were unlucky against Sydney, and then they knocked off Perth in Perth (cue anonymous hater "oh Jack you do have a thing about Cats fans") They would be well justified in carrying that confidence into this game. Another capacity crowd should be expected today.

Melbourne are chock a block full of talent and should go into this one as favourites. I'm expecting United to win this win, but the Taipans have some sting in them and their fangs are poised to strike.

Topic #44617 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ Kennedy missing again due to concussion symptoms.

Reply #727763 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Illawarra is a good go here, they'll keep it close I think

Reply #727774 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Wouldn't be surprised if they won

Reply #727776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This will be an interesting game, Melbourne it's really a must win to keep season rolling, Cairns nothing to lose and in very good form. Kennedy is a loss but really hasn’t set the season on fire yet except for odd good game, must’ve been one mighty hit for the poor fellow. Moller given the time should fill in quite well. If I’m Vickerman today I’m basically running a 7 man rotation today with Pledger and Moller the big bench minutes, a little of Hooley. Moller should be given time in the 4 as well for a different look offensively. McCarron should get time at the point when Ware is resting, he’s a very good passer.
Cairns have to keep the passing game up that they have had of lately, Trimble in his form will be a hand full but Casper is a very good defender. Jawai will be a monster but again Boone and Pledger can go even, put pressure on the passer who is passing it to Jawai and pressure the ball when he’s backing it down. Hall also has hit shots lately so will be a tough match up. Newbill also is a hard player to guard and will play defence. It shows that Cairns are quite a good squad that took time to settle and Kelly probably himself needed time to find his feet.
If Melbourne start well they should hang on but who knows especially the way this nbl season has played out.

Reply #727783 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

DJ Kennedy's concussion - from the car crash?

Reply #727807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, he got into an online argument with you and Manu and he ended up repeatedly bashing his head against the wall.

Reply #727811 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah still suffering symptoms. Will be back in time to flog you blokes over in the west

Reply #727814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne are awful. Boone needs to be upgraded badly.

Reply #727883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly schooling Vickerman

Reply #727884 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Trimble 23pts on 10/10 FG at HT.

From memory the record points haul up there at the CCC was 50 by Martin Cattalini vs. Bullets in a 48min game.

Reply #727885 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

20 more minutes of that please, snakes. Good stuff.

Reply #727886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who ever doing the scout report for Melbourne should be punted, they seem to have no idea how to stop Cairns offence.

Reply #727889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding is a spud. United playing with 4 in defence.

Reply #727891 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Feels like every time I get discouraged by a Kings loss, Melbourne and Perth manage to shoot themselves in the feet again as well.

Reply #727892 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Jawai continues to look great.

Reply #727893 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Every team lately looks cooked apart from Cairns. Twilight Zone stuff.

Trimble finally misses after being 11/11.

Reply #727894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no only Perth is cooked everyone else is just hitting a lot of speed bumps but will be fine

Reply #727896 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yeah, actually I agree with that.

Reply #727897 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Trimble owns Ware on O and D in consecutive plays. :o

Reply #727898 | Report this post

Hogwash  
Years ago

Do any top teams want to win?
Seems like one of those weekends.

Reply #727899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

brilliant interview by wortho. enjoy him while you can hoops fans because he will be snatched up by 60 minutes in no time.

Reply #727900 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Bwahahaha now that's gold.

Reply #727902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dumb foul by Loe. And there was contact so foul is the correct call. But is it time to start calling flops on guys who flop on absolutely minimal contact coming down from jumpshots?

Reply #727904 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Officiating is woeful. Has been all year.

Reply #727905 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

It's as if every player is on four fouls.

Reply #727906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Brilliant interview by wortho. enjoy him while you can hoops fans because he will be snatched up by 60 minutes in no time."

BAHAHAHAHA - They was so cringe worthy

Reply #727907 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Trimble's mum: "dafuq was that?"

Reply #727911 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

All tied up now, MEL 9-0 run. Wow.

Reply #727912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jesus, this has been a choke of perth-like proportions

Reply #727913 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Overtime.

Reply #727914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly please get the ball out of Newbill's hands and back into Trimble’s

Reply #727915 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Tbh can't see Melbourne losing it in OT after how nervy the snakes were in the last

Reply #727916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

fuck off cairns ffs what a choke

Reply #727917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Feels like every time I get discouraged by a Kings loss, Melbourne and Perth manage to shoot themselves in the feet again as well."
not so fast angush

Reply #727918 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Trimble is cold now, Snakes cooked.

Reply #727920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bye taipans

Reply #727921 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

its that high to low move by the 5 that has been working all the second half for melbourne, and there seems no coaching adjustment from kelly.

Reply #727922 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

beyond cooked. they are burnt to a crisp. they are cremated.

Reply #727923 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

MEL 19-0 run... lol

Reply #727924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

down 10 and they finally get it to Jawai

Reply #727925 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Massive choke. Even outside of Melo's hot shooting, Cairns just completely went away from what was working for them.

Reply #727927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Casper just taking the piss now

Reply #727928 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Seems I have a doppelganger - Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Trimble 42pts in vain.

Reply #727929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh it's Hall. didn't know he was playing today.

Reply #727930 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Casper United just too good for the Cairns Trimbles.

Reply #727932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Cairns Jawais had a very good first 3 quarters but then everyone suddenly forgot they existed.

Reply #727934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can see why Kelly was a DPOY. The only way to shut Trimble down tonight was by putting the ball in another high use iso-ball imports hands aka Newbill.

Kelly getting better week in and out but missed key defensive adjustments (pick and roll) but also over coached the offensive end and changed what has been working recently (Jawai touches and subsequent ball and player movement).

Reply #727935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we have all been sick off all the perthworlds trolling us all season

Reply #727937 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

"Cairns just completely went away from what was working for them."
agreed, and melbourne fould one play that was working for them, and just repeated it waiting for a successfull defensive adjustment, which never came.... 10 easy points.

Reply #727938 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

found*

Reply #727939 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

1:35 left in the 4th

Had some blood on it

Reply #727941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld get a missus my man there is more to life than the internet.

P.s I feel sorry for single people

Reply #727942 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Credit to Melbourne for hanging around, but that 4th quarter was so fucked.

Reply #727944 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Yeah gotta feel for Cairns fans, players, Kelly.

They did so well, sure Melbourne are a little off lately. But they played well up till then.

Then have actually been playing well for longer periods in the game in the last month or so.

This will be a tough one to swallow. The game that got away

Reply #727945 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah they have been genuinely good.
Then suddenly they change up completely and start playing careful basketball to protect their lead rather than just doing what they were doing - i.e. comfortably out-playing their opponent. It was excruciating to watch them die like that. That could leave some mental scars.

Reply #727946 | Report this post

Flop Warning  
Years ago

Yeah that my worry too.

That this breaks them. I hope it doesn't and they recognise it for what it is. Fatigue a few bad plays. Bit of bad luck thrown in there.

Could also drive them to finish off games better. I guess we will find out over the next couple of weeks.

They are genuinely exciting to watch lately. Still go missing in patches (mostly last qtrs) but I stand by my comments that they have been exciting

Reply #727947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Barlow was mvp, Melbourne should have played small ball at times. McCarron form would be a worry for Melbourne as Goulding you would think. Boone was solid, Moller plays defence but be nice to see some offence. Bag Ware at your peril, he stands up. Pledger I'm not sold would’ve kept Ando.
Carirns what the f..k, get the ball to Jawai, Trimble magnificent for3/4 but that doesn’t win games, over played his hand in last and OT. Another learning curve for Kelly, slightly different team next season and I think he’ll get there. Hall over all has been a let down as has Newbill.

Reply #727948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne are in trouble, they need a fourth import (like last season).

Reply #727952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Commentary was like Cairns cheer squad.

Reply #727953 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

Cairns is a bit of a 2 trick pony with Melo and Nate.....you wont win consistently with that.
Thought Hall should have had some stuff run for him to mix it up, if he receives the ball in stride he is money, have to remember he is a undeveloped kid with heaps of potential....Mike, that's your job!!

Reply #727957 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Cairns have been finding ways to lose all year.

Reply #727996 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:23 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754