Zodiac
Years ago

Adelaide's playoff hopes?

At this stage after the demoralising final quarter capitulation to the Bullets at home yesterday it would be fair to say the 36ers have no business making the playoffs this season.

But currently just half a game and percentage out of 4th spot they're still a realistic possibility especially if Perth continue spiralling down the ladder.

I said earlier in the season the team needed to make hay during the current 'softer' 11 game stretch of the schedule which ended yesterday (we went a disappointing 7-4) as the final 8 game stretch of our schedule is brutal.

vs Perth
@ Sydney
@ Perth
vs Melbourne
@ Cairns
@ New Zealand
vs Melbourne
@ Perth

You wouldn't wish that kind of finish to a season on an enemy but the 36ers fate is still in their own hands especially with three games to go against Perth the two teams likely battling it out for that final playoff spot.

NZ shouldn't be counted out just yet either they're now gone above Illawarra on the ladder and at 8-10 could challenge the 36ers at 10-10.

Topic #44619 | Report this topic

Hogwash  
Years ago

That NZ are very much in it means both Perth and Adelaide could miss out.
Really looking forward to every game. Right now I think Perth and Brisbane will be in but that could change.

Reply #727813 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

If they defend, they will make playoffs.

By my reckoning this is the worst Adelaide has defended in 3 seasons or so

Reply #727815 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Illawarra could still be in the mix with a win today. They currently lead.

Reply #727816 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Perth with a hobbling Cotton looks a good time to play them.

Close finish, but just let each week happen and see where everyone ends up.

Every year bright sparks this will be the year Perth miss the finals. They have all been proven wrong

Reply #727828 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

Depends how much Daniel Johnson is allowed to be fouled and no call made too.

Reply #727867 | Report this post

Udog  
Years ago

And when DJ does get foul shows if he can get them to drop like previous seasons.

Reply #727869 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

To be honest Udog as a 36ers fan I think DJ gets way too much preferential treatment from the refs especially at home. Ever since we first signed him it's always amazed me how many more calls he gets at home than away.

DJ exaggerates contact more often that not and he knows by throwing himself out of court or throwing his head back on drives or under the basket he'll likely suck the refs into a favourable call.

If he spent more time taking it harder to the rim instead of his usual foul accentuating soft finishes instead of sulking and always looking for bail out calls from the refs he would be a lot better player than he is and we would be a better team too. And that's without even getting into his poor defensive deficiencies.

Reply #727873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^
Exactly take it harder to the tack and stop acting.

Reply #727876 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers are done put a fork in it

Reply #727881 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

DJ's meltdown was disappointing, but he was put in a position to fail by the coach yesterday. He worked his ass off against bigger, stronger guys like Bairstow and Hodgson all game and was gassed in the 4th quarter because Joey didn’t give him a breather. Instead he left him out there as the only big man and Brisbane took full advantage. So I’m not blaming DJ for this one.

With Perth faltering, I think there is a possibility the Sixers still make the playoffs, but what’s the point really? This team is too inconsistent to believe they have any chance in the playoffs. Just got to hope management learns from last offseason’s mistakes.

Reply #727933 | Report this post

Beantown spot on.

Sixers have shown on their day they can beat anyone but they are way too inconsistent to win a playoff series. This roster has too many flaws. Been found out over and over again not having a genuine playmaker. Everything is fine when your running and gunning catching the opposition napping on D but when you got to play the half court game it's non existent.

Reply #727964 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

The NBL playoffs are very short. This isn't like the NBA where every series is 7 games so you need to be consistent. Flashes of brilliance, which is Adelaide to a T, is all you need to win an NBL playoffs series

Reply #727967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"With Perth faltering, I think there is a possibility the Sixers still make the playoffs, but what's the point really?"
even if the sixers are swept out in consecutive 50 point losses it would still be worth it to end Perths playoff streak

Reply #727969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does it matter to you if Perth's playoff streak ends?

Reply #727971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#727969 sorry cockhead but Perth will make playoffs..
You're a salty Adelaide fan who's team will not hahaha.

Reply #727976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Why does it matter to you if Perth's playoff streak ends?"

The post above is a perfect demonstration of why I would enjoy the streak ending. Thanks #727976

Reply #727977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth will finish higher on the ladder than Adelaide.
FACT.

Reply #727979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because someone was mean to you on the internet, you want the streak to end?

Reply #727991 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Not a fan of Perth but I do want their finals streak to continue for ever.

Now here's a double-edged sword.

How would it be for Perth fans if their finals-appearance record went on for say, another 30 or 40 years?

And for the Perth haters, Imagine their euphoria if they were beaten every year, in the 1st round.

Sorta like that oldie about seeing your mother-in-law driving your brand new sports car over a cliff (ie, when we were still allowed to hate our mothers-in-law .. and love our sports cars).

Reply #728003 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Moore and Deng are injured now, Moore it seems is done for the season from what I've heard.

Think NZ can win both their games this week, will definitely make the finish to the season interesting.

Reply #728086 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Channel 9 news tonight said Moore likely out for the rest of the season no replacement player just more minutes for McVeigh.

Done and dusted now.

Reply #728171 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprised Adelaide aren't going to replace Moore.
Have they given up on the season?

Reply #728174 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

NZ also don't deserve a Finals spot... too inconsistent
I'd be happy with Sydney, Melbourne, Perth & Brisbane

Reply #728183 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:48 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754