Cen Kole
Years ago

Goodbye Titanium Security Arena?

Have heard from a couple of different people that it is all but confirmed that the 36ers will shift to the Entertainment Centre from next season. So we may only have 2 games left in the 'Powerhouse'.

The relationship this year between the club and the stadium has not been great.

The long term plan is to eventually move into the proposed new Memorial Drive stadium and this is seen as a stepping stone towards that.

The are obviously pros and cons to the shift. I for one will really miss the intimacy that the stadium provides that I don't feel at most other stadiums I have watched games at.

Topic #44651 | Report this topic

Hawky  
Years ago

Wow, if true!

Irrespective, end goal has to be getting to memorial drive tennis complex as part of the redevelopment and making that 'home'. For those interstate, memorial drive is next to Adelaide oval in the CBD.

Reply #729223 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

A big risk if true (unless there are reasons that make it necessary) as the atmosphere at the Powerhouse is an integral part of what makes an Adelaide game a great experience.

Reply #729224 | Report this post

Hawky  
Years ago

Build it and they will come. I understand we lose that atmosphere of the powerhouse, but new experiences and atmospheres will be created and hopefully done well enough you won't look back.

A fresh start in the city will attract more people/sponsors/media etc. it is the obvious move.

Reply #729226 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Moving to the Entertainment Centre for a couple of seasons seems like a massive upheaval for zero benefit to me! Its only slightly closer to the city, parking options are worse and it would surely cost the club a lot more to rent than TSA.
The ONLY reason it could make sense is if the club thinks it could massively expand attendance beyond the capacity of TSA next season. Given that we have not sold out one game this season and maybe only sold out half a dozen games in ten years, that seems unlikely!

IF Memorial Drive gets built and IF it is done in a way that makes basketball enjoyable to watch there, then that's great. But I highly doubt it will be as good a venue for watching basketball as the TSA.

Reply #729227 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Old stadiums are hard to say goodbye too.

Apollo served it's purpose. The boys on the old stage pissed off Glyns Nunn.

Some people had the luxury of watching the game whilst the top of their head either touched or dislodged the roof tiles.

Then we moved to Power House and the move was worth it, except the eftpos machine never use to break down at Apollo. (might have been because Eftpos wasnt invented then).

Consider Basketball SA don't own the asset anymore, moving to a bigger venue is a must. For our small population, we put bums on seats to all our sporting events.

Reply #729229 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

Personally I'd see this as a step backwards.

However, if it is 'real' it will add to the programming problems. They wouldn't want to schedule an NBL game at the entertainment centre on the same night as a Reds game at Hindmarsh. Recipe for parking/traffic chaos, trams not withstanding.

Reply #729232 | Report this post

BB4  
Years ago

I am only one person, but it will be terribly hard for me to attend the EntCent with my mobility issues so I am hoping this doesn't happen

Reply #729236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I won't be renewing if it’s at the Ent Centre. If this is true, why hadn’t the club communicated anything to members.

Reply #729238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the capacity there? No game has sold out this season.

Reply #729240 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

If this is true, why hadn't the club communicated anything to members

Assuming it is true, Sixers Management haven't probably finalised a deal and might be keeping their powder dry.

Reply #729241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the capacity there? No game has sold out this season

I think it's about 7800?

How many seats does the Adelaide Entertainment Centre hold?

Reply #729247 | Report this post

TM  
Years ago

The entire TSA block of land (building & carpark) must be worth heaps.
Probably just a business decision by Titanium Security to cash in their asset.

Agreed about parking at the EntCent, BUT on the plus side - one can get there via tram from the city, and possibly by train (at less frequency), there are numerous cafe's down the road and across at Bowden (Plant 4, Jarmers, The Gov etc).

Stage 1 of the Memorial drive upgrade (outside courts) is due for completion this year (March?), however, not sure if anyone has come up with the $150m for the 6,000 seat covered stadium yet though.

Reply #729264 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

The entire TSA block of land (building & carpark) must be worth heaps.

Actually most of the land is owned by Council. There is only a small bit around the building that is part of the building.

Reply #729266 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Also land was a dump was it not? Assuming it was that is a big cost to recondition the soil. Hope we stay where we are unless we get that city place.

Reply #729302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide should play out of Sydney, they don't get beat there.

Reply #729304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently the capacity for when the Thunderbirds play at the Entertainment Centre the capacity is "more than 8500". Titanium has gotten crowds above 8000 so not much of an argument for larger crowds at the Entertainment Centre apart from somewhat easier to access (although Adelaide United still complain about public transport access at Hindmarsh).

If Memorial Drive is going to have a capacity of 6000 we're going to have a problem because we're getting bigger crowds than that most of the time out in the middle of the suburbs with no public transport now.

Reply #729329 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

TM has no idea about anything. Every word of his post is wrong or irrelevant.

Reply #729337 | Report this post

Ushiro  
Years ago

The Entertainment Centre has a capacity of 9300 for netball so assume similar for Basketball. This is 1300 up on Titanium Arena, which for "TM" is actually owned by Scouts SA and Church Basketball not Titanium Security.

Corporate boxes at the Entertainment Centre are set up for Ball Court Sports so would work well for Basketball.

Major issue is programming where like other similar venues, concerts take priority due to hire and other fees. The other concern already raised is that the Entertainment car parks are used by Soccer fans at Adelaide United games.

The big plus for staying at the TSA is that the court is always available and the 36ers train on the court they play on.

The Memorial Drive suggestion, while adjacent to the Adelaide Oval precinct, is only proposed to seat 6000. Why move to a venue that would have 75% of the current capacity of TSA? If the proposed venue was for 10000, that would make sense, based on the increased attendance of AFL games following the move from West Lakes to the City.

Reply #729340 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ushiro its not owned by either actually but it's certainly not owned by Titanium Security either.

There are reasons to stay and go.

Reply #729345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re: Memorial Drive
I think Tennis SA proposal calls for a 6,000 seat tennis stadium, which would be ideal for the tennis that occurs there for one weekend a year. They then realised this is a shit proposal for $190m so said they could host basketball and netball there without even looking into the crowds that those sports get in Adelaide. If they realised that they need a bigger stadium for basketball and netball their proposal might actually get up.

Reply #729349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thousands of $$$ has just been spent redoing a large chunk of the changes rooms!

Reply #729353 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

6000 seats at Memorial Drive? Hahaha, we definitely aren't moving there then! Sounds like if they did build a sporting facility there, it should be a basketball stadium that can host Tennis events. NOT a Tennis venue that can host basketball!

As for getting to games at the Ent Cent on the tram, that is not going to be convenient for most people, because it only comes from the city or Glenelg!

Reply #729355 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

So appears TSA is still best as is. As much as people complain about access carparking size facilities it's still best option. Purpose built for ball. Home court training court. Why give that up.

Reply #729361 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

I agree. Unless you can get the same or better, why shift.

Reply #729365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what are the issues? This is where an independent mediator needs to come in a sort things out because both sides will lose.
Personally my favourite name for a sporting arena has always been The Powerhouse. Due to past mistakes it was terrible it had to be sold and it having to be leased back all the time. As above, will always have to make sure of availability of Ent Centre and surely the cost of setting up every game isn't cheap. Where will sixers and lightning train, can't use wayville or Pasadena because of lack of air conditioning. Where will staff be based? Maybe they can move to Hillcrest when North move out and put some portable aircons in there and some shipping containers in the car park for Joey.

Reply #729373 | Report this post

Slamin Sam  
Years ago

ADELAIDE need to get with the program. The current stadium is a disgrace. The seating and air conditioning and location way too far from the city.
Move with the times SA.

Reply #729451 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

^
Hilarious!
They haven't moved with the times in 100 years!

Reply #729457 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Salmon Sam you have no idea. Purpose build outstanding court vision from every seat. Yes needs continuing upgrades it not at expense of down sizing to 6000 seat or e centre.

Reply #729640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not that far from city, 10 minutes drive without traffic, hardly in the outback.

Reply #729653 | Report this post

Jamie Stevens  
Years ago

This administration goes from bad to worse. Loses Mitch Creek, doesn't bring in the imports the owner promised in the off season and is now (if true) going to move away to a more expensive venue that is going to bump up membership and ticketing prices. If they move to the Entertainment Centre then the club will fold.

Reply #729721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word has it, the Liberal Government will invest $$ in purchasing a cube and floor for the entertainment centre (government owned venue) so basketball can be played there to try increase revenue for the building which is loosing money hand over fist. This will no doubt put TSA, a privately owned building (owned by a not-for-proft) out of business and people out of work. Nice one Liberal government. Especially since the arena just invested millions in a cube and new lighting especially for the team. Did I read in the Tizer a few years ago that the owners bought the arena when it went bankrupt specifically to assist the Sixers? Sixers will lose their home training facility in the process. They won't have anywhere to train. Home court training has been a significant benefit to the team. Those who have ever played a sport will know what kind of an advantage that is. And didn't the arena owners save the Sixers not too long ago? Don't the owners sponsor the team? Short memories these people must have. The club's financial stability it tenuous at best. A move will mean the end of the club, or at least its current ownership and administration. But not before Adelaide loses the arena because of them. Nice. Where will my kids play basketball then? It will hurt not only professional basketball, it will hurt basketball in South Australia. We struggle to find courts as it is, and the new St Claire facility is a joke. I doubt the owners will keep TSA open for community BBall's sake. What a mess. I won't be renewing my membership if this goes ahead. Since last year, the club just doesn't feel the same. The death of the old Apollo will be the last straw. Truth is, the team is in the Liberal Party's pocket now.

And TM, you're a moron. Titanium Security don't own the building. They pay to have their name on it. The land is owned by council.

Reply #729740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's wrong with St Clair?

Reply #729746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#740 if you're going to call someone else a moron for something which was reported as fact in the media and here (wrongly) then I'd suggest making sure your facts are right. Which they're not.

Reply #729748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#746 Lino flooring on concrete.... amateur hour. Terrible foresight to save a few $ on a facility that will be there for many years.

Reply #729753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't understand why they'd consider moving from a purpose built facility to th e Ent Centre which isn't as good from a spectatator facility. after the big price hike for season ticket holders last year, if the decision is made to move, I won't be renewing, which will end nearly 20 years.

Reply #729767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

St Clairs can't house more than 1,000 - they screwed up big time!

Reply #729773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also the move to the AET will be the death of the Adelaide Lightning. Way to kill a venue, and a female professional sporting team with your incompetence 36ers admin and Liberal govt. Both selfish grubs.

Reply #729775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damn Government investing in government owned buildings.

Reply #729784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So if we are to look at the above which all seems valid a move to the entertainment centre will likely

- kill a female sports team immediately
- kill the 36ers after a year or so
- kill the Arena which is owned by a not for profit
- kill community sport at the Arena
- kill jobs at the Arena

Seems like there is some sort of unknown motivation with all this. Maybe the owner has political aspirations with the Liberal Party? This administration stinks of corruption.

Reply #729799 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

St Clair should had seating for 8000. Is that what anon. You are suggesting. Christ that hot weather severely got you. Isn't there 8000 seating basketball venue less than 5 Kay's away. Either are located close to hungry jacks. So idea not bad.

Reply #729803 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Little secret guys...not about basketball or the Entertainment centre...all about $$$$$ in the land and development.

Reply #729812 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

A, so you're saying Charles Sturt council/ Scouts SA/ Church Basketball SA might be persuaded to sell to a developer who wants to put a bunch of housing there?

Reply #729822 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Titanium Security Arena has a lot of benefits:

Basketball purpose stadium
Good capacity size
Great atmosphere
A high level of control for 36ers
Cheap rent
Ability to train on Court
No conflicting events/fixture issues
Reasonably updated recently

Entertainment Centre:
Reasonable location/still not easy to access & conflicting business of Adel Utd
More expensive
Low level of control by 36ers
Capacity slightly beyond 36ers (may be reached for significant games)
Conflicting event issues
Not able to train on Court (would need to shift to Wayville/Pasadena)

Memorial Drive Proposed:
Good location (not sure about parking?)
Capacity too small
Rent unknown
Low level of control (likely tennis australia maintains it)
Fixturing conflict for 1/2 months each year

-----------------
Ideal scenario for Adelaide is a 9-10,000 Memorial Drive stadium
which can be used by Tennis Australia, Adelaide 36ers, Adelaide Lightning, Adelaide Thunderbirds

Includes things like Video cube, LED signage etc. and corporate boxes

Reply #729826 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Let's just say not one party will have to be or is persuaded. I believe each and every party will be big winners expect for the fans and basketball.

Reply #729829 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

A, can you share your insight on what type of development? Curious whether you have been told it will be residential or commercial.

Do you know how far the Council has progressed with the revocation process? I have heard nothing from the Council in the local press.

Reply #729831 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

A few things, this is not about the pros or cons about where basketball can be played, all we have to know, whatever happens the 36ers will always have somewhere to play(ent.centre)
Trust me, that's the last place I want to go watch my team play, when currently they are playing out of the best purposely built basketball stadium in the country, hands down(let's just say, not much around to compete with). But all this means Shite...

Big Ads, the council will have little to no say with what can be done with the land, that's all I can comment with. A few key players within certain industries have much power.

I could be completely wrong, but usually I'm not...

Reply #729833 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saturday - Thread started as a decent discussion of the topic
Sunday - some trolls come in
Monday - full on conspiracy theorist mode.

Reply #729842 | Report this post

Dr. basketball  
Years ago

I don't know anything about the politics but I was fond of Titanium Security Arena.

Reply #729845 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A,

That land can't be build on as it was a garbage dump.

There was serious issue with digging out the Arena and gas pockets delayed the building of the venue.

It is environmentally impossible to build on that land.

Reply #729856 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

#842 I'm not into theories...

#856 From what I have always understood, that’s what I had thought, until recent dealings with senior officials from various sectors, let’s just say, the right people can do what they want in this state.

But hey it’s Monday and we all know it’s 'CONSPIRACY THEORIST MODE DAY’ lets leave it at that.

Reply #729859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conspiracy theorist mode was more related to the Liberal Party's grand plan to destroy basketball.

The land sale thing is a valid theory in my mind, I'm sceptical but it could be true.

Reply #729863 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I don't think anyone was suggesting they were out to kill basketball, merely the they didn't care.

Reply #729868 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Can't build on land. Isn't there something already built on the land. A basketball stadium. Perfectly gd. Council own car Parking land all around. Fake news really.

Reply #729893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would be nice to hear from management whether a move is being considered. Their communication is shocking.

Reply #729900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just a thought, but apart from OP, is there any other source to confirm this or are we all getting a little excited over someone saying they just heard something from a couple of someone's. Probably just fake news.

Reply #729902 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I heard this rumor 6 months ago but thought nothing more of it since this thread. Just assumed Sixers were trying to re-negotiate with TSA. Entertainment Centre only concivable alternative.

In respect to comprehensively redeveloping the land,it can be done but would require numerous proceses to be actioned, especially by the Council if Toogood Reserve ("the carpark") was to be included. Engineering, vapour and groundwater management and rehabilitation costs would be considerable so a developer would need to have confidence the site will provide a return on their investment.

I doubt the stadium would be demolished but new owners might seek to change the buildings use (to say a church).

Reply #729906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much is the stadium worth these days?

Reply #729924 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

$1

Reply #729925 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

From memomory BSA built TSA because the State government wouldn't build a venue for basketball / entertainment center. So BSA would have expected to be able ot use its stadium to host concerts etc. The venue is great for basketball but it is hidden away and can easily be "invisible".
The the Sate government built the entertainment center ( in a move visible location but still with limited public transport and car parking)and took all the concerts. As a result I suspect both the entertainment center and TSA are under utilised and struggle to meet costs.

Now everyone wants an indoor multi use venue in the city, near Adelaide Oval ( ie Memerial Drive) to host concerts, plus indoor sports such as basketball and top level tennis.

The attraction is obvious, but the flip side is it is a shared fascility so is not "personalised" to your sport.

Reply #729927 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Shared facilities. Someone always loses. Basketball doesn't have the pulling away.

Reply #729937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The thing is the last time basketball built a purpose built arena to professional standard in this state, the governing body went bankrupt (this might have been because of the Entertainment Centre existing) and the cost of building arenas has increased at least 10 fold since then. If the 36ers want a new arena up to the standards set by the rest of the NBL and other sports in this state in a central location, it's normally government funded now and to get that they'll need to share (same with Tennis and they need to realise this).

Reply #729945 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

All games at Entertainment center, next season, just then on sevennews, sixers to announce it on Monday.

Reply #738582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's it for me as a season ticket holder after 18 years. I’m not renewing.

Reply #738585 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Nice move.

Reply #738599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do you think it's a good idea to move from a purpose built stadium to somewhere that is still not in the city, is much more difficult to park, and will have issues with availability?

Reply #738602 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Refer to what happened here in Perth.

Playing out in the suburbs at Challenge Stadium sucked and only true believers attended.

Now we have a CBD location and larger capacity.

Did wonders for the Cats and no doubt Sixers brass want to duplicate that.

Reply #738604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you realise the entertainment centre isn't in the city? It’s about 5 minutes away from current stadium.

Reply #738606 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Isn't it just to the side? Not suburbia which is my point.

You do realise a city move increases sponsorship and corporate patronage. They won't be feeling the loss of you.

Reply #738607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's around 10 minutes out from the city instead of 15. I don’t classify it as city

Reply #738608 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Challenge was 10mins away from CBD but it might as well have been a world away.

This is a positive move even if it doesn't suit you.

Reply #738609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's my point - the Ent Cebtre is still 10 minutes outside the city (which you say is the same as challenge) so what’s the point of the move. I wouldn’t be complaining if the move was to the city.

Reply #738611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perthworld, listen to the local! The Entertainment Centre in Adelaide isn't in the city, it's a drive to get there. A new stadium in town would be great, but this isn't it!

Reply #738613 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I see it as a great move.

Bigger centre, bigger crowds, more atmosphere, more revenue for the club.

The unknown for me is the financial side, how much more does it cost to host a game than at TSA?

Reply #738621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the capacity compared to TSA?

Reply #738622 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Perthworld, listen to the local!

Okay I will defer to the locals.

Reply #738627 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wiki lists AEC 11,300 in arena mode but Austadiums for sports list it as 9,300 (e.g. netball capacity @ 100%).

TSA 8,000.

Reply #738629 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:55 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754