Years ago

USA defeats Goorjann

Is it just me or should we start head hunting Goorjann like they did Smythe. I agree with Yogee in saying that instead of going with two guard (small guards) that just want to help themselves to points why not try something different.

They finished the game with Jason Smith sideline and guys like Rillie and Cattalini not playing any minutes at all. I agree that we needed a guard still out there but come on Goorjann, a junior coach can work out that when they are not going right than changes need to be made. Personally I would start with you.

Topic #459 | Report this topic

MW  
Years ago

I would be the first to jump on the "Lets sack Brian Goorjian" bandwagon, but the facts are we lost to the USA by only 10 points...I think we would all agree that is by far a closesr margin than we all would of expected.

On a side note, what is the story with Shane Heal jacking up threes from the half way line? I know he has been known to hit the occasional shot like that but not when we are leading the US!

Reply #3702 | Report this post

Dude  
Years ago

I say lets WHACK brian goorjann, screw sacking him, he is a useless bag of (input american remark - omitted for possible offence) and he just doesnt give the guys a go. Cat was one of the best players in the NBL last yr - inside and outside, yet he can't get a run, what is this dude doing?

Reply #3710 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

our big guys were tired - what was wrong with rogers, the cat would have provided plenty of hustle.
perhaps Bogut and Anderson may play for the kings soon.

Reply #3712 | Report this post

Raab Himself  
Years ago

After all is said and done, my bare emotions are those of sympathy. I agree with Dude that Cat was one of the premier players in the NBL last year and has proven he can play at the European level. How this guy is sitting behind Saville, Smith and CJ i will never know. I would not go as far to say that not having cat in the game might have cost us the win, but i put it to all forum readers and posters that Cat is a far greater Offensive threat then either of Smith, CJ and especially Saville. We were held to <25 points IN THE SECOND HALF! Gorj, Get some guys out there who know how to score!!!

Reply #3724 | Report this post

GT  
Years ago

MW you are one the money!
I support you for Boomers coah 2008
Bring back Drewy!
Does "The Hammer" relise that Brett Maher was shooting 70% from the field averaging 13 pts?
Someone has to give the rock to Brett!!!
One of the contributing reasons the "Dream Team" won is because they intimidate the refs. That call on Bruton was a joke!

Reply #3729 | Report this post

Stats  
Years ago

Whats with Heal shooting from 3m out from the 3 point line? People say he is good at creating open shots....its not hard when you are still basically in the defensive end of the floor!
He needs to have a look at Maher's shooting % (about 70 I believe) and work out why its so high...simply because he waits for GOOD shots and takes them when they are on offer. Its not often that you see Brett jacking up 'prayers'
Geez its frustrating to watch sometimes...but still I do hoping something will change

Reply #3745 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

from sydneykings.com.au:

"
Australian captain Shane Heal - known to most of the US line-up from his two stints in the NBA - scored a team-high 17 and ran the point with aplomb.

Matt Nielsen, fresh from trialling with the Denver Nuggets, scored 12 points before fouling out early in the final term.

"I've got mixed feelings," said Heal.

"It was a great opportunity for us to be able to create history for our country and beat the United States and we got ourselves in a position at halftime to pull that off.

"But I guess in the second half we didn't make our shots and when you don't make your shots against America it gives them the opportunity to run their transition.

"They're so athletic and so big and strong, they got too many easy buckets in the second half."

SHANE, DON'T YOU MEAN IN THE SECOND HALF, I DIDN'T MAKE MY SHOTS, NOT WE?

Reply #3761 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:54 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754