cavalo
Years ago

Where's the Paul Rees bagger now???

Well folks, regulars on this forum will remember a harsh go at Paul Rees a few weeks back saying the usual and that he is too slow etc etc etc and is a disgrace or something to that effect (Issac maybe you could insert the link here).

I thought it might be interesting to see his 'stats' which everyone seems to judge him by, and also mention the things that are not recorded on the statline since we've been able to see the big fella play a fair bit lately at home. Since the 'allegations'... =)

Vs the Sydney Kings when he was supposed to be dunked on all over he was 3/3 from the field, 1/2 FT, 2 OF rebs and an assist in 13mins - look at Sydney's big men - Roberts, Knight and Worthington all had shockers and the big fella contributed to that.

Vs Cairns he was 2/5 from the field, 1/2 FT, 1 RB, 2 ASS and one steal in 19mins. Cairns' big men didn't stand out either.

Vs Tigers he shot 4/5, 2 RBs, ONE BLOCK and an assist in 19mins again. He totally outwitted Anstey when he went to give it off to Maher but hung onto the ball and spun to the basket from the foul line for a lay-up - classic Rees!!

As a team, Rees has contributing to ensuring that we are evenly matched on the boards by boxing out the bigs. Against the Kings we won the rebounding count, we lost by one rebound to Cairns (who have a big frontline) and last night agains the Tigers who have the biggest bodies in the league (Anstey, Hoare, Mottram and Thomas) we only lost the rebound count by four!

Smyth has been fantastic in subbing Paul in for regular, short bursts and he has virtually been effective in everyone of those bursts. He was getting in Thomas' face against Cairns and has just been playing important, smart b/ball on the court.

Knockers - bag the big fella at your peril! Even the stats are now going against you, let alone all the 'unstatable' stuff the maestro Smyth loves about him by bringing him back again to play for him this year.

Topic #4599 | Report this topic

boti prod  
Years ago

and he has a great sense of humour, he has your sides splitting with laughter when being interviewed upstairs.

Reply #53307 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

The man has more rings than Bradtke, Anstey, Rogers and any other big you can name.

He must be do something right.

He gets the crowd going at home and gets the elbows flowing that make opposition f/c 's think twice on their next move.

All class.

Reply #53309 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

Great game by him, all it needed was a trade mark 3 by him and it would have lifted the roof off

Go the Big fella

Reply #53310 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

I'm still here cavalo!! Like I said at the start of the season. "If Rees scores a point this season then the league is second rate" I'm sticking to the statement.

Reply #53315 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Rees has played quality big men all year. The league is not second rate.

Has anybody noticed that Rees' form and minutes have risen since the REEEEEES banner, conveniently located near a bar, and on the edge of Phil's peripheral vision, appeared? I'm not saying it's ALL mine and Brad Philp's doing, but I'm taking 95% of the credit for the Big Fella's form.

With the word 'REEEES' in big letters always in vision of Phil, he sub-conciously wants to sub him in at all times. Look for Rees to rest Maher at the point, and to replace Oscar as a spot up shooter over the next few weeks.

Also, after Bonz named us 'The Paul Rees Posse', we will now be making T-Shirts and upgrading our banner.

Reply #53321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you havent been upstairs after a game to hear Reesy speak.... then you have been missing out on a comedy genius!

Reply #53331 | Report this post

Mix Master Wipe  
Years ago

Great work Doc! The big sexy REEEEEEEES banner is a killer!

Go Big Fella,nice move last night at the top of the key,sold the dummy and then charged down the lane for a power layup!

Reply #53341 | Report this post

PRP  
Years ago

Paul Rees has found a new lease on life since the banner & his small but dedicated fans have started to show their appreciation of the big fella

Reply #53347 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

Doctor - my apologies for missing the obvious! I have noticed the banner at home games and its strategic location!

As for Bob Knight, I don't think you were the one who was pretty dodgy in your attack on the Big Fella - believe it was an anonymous and someone else - no one with your class and coaching credentials.

Out of curiousity, I would be interested to know if you have seen the big fella play at home yet this year?

Reply #53353 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Clearly not as knowledgable about the game of basketball as the Bob Knight.

Reply #53356 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:41 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754