TR
Years ago

Defining Moments - Memories of a basketball fan...

After a restless night at work I starting thinking about some defining moments I remember in the world of basketball. Some I could come up with in the last few (or longer) years are (in no particular order):

1: The only and original Dream Team: Will there ever be a roster put together like this again with so many personalities and good ambassadors for the game.

2: Jordan retires the 1st time from the Bulls. The end of the first dynasty.

3: The beginning of the second coming, 1995, Jordan returns to the floor and scores 55 points in his 5th game back from a 3 year baseball stint.

4: 1996. The first 70 win season in the history of the NBA. MJ, Pip and the crew steamroll the competition

5: 36ers going all the way in 1998, 1999, 2002 and being the bridesmaid in 1994

6: Death of Drazen Petrovic. The first Euro star in the NBA. Tragic and remember it like it was yesterday.

7: 2000. That dunk. Vince Carter with crazy hops throwing it down OVER the 7 foot frog, Fred Weis.

8: 2004 USA Men's Basketball team finishing third and losing at the Olympics in Athens. People said it will never happen, it happened three times (Puerto Rice, Lithuania and Argentina)

9: Not being able to watch our local stars in free-to-air television, and the continually downwards spiral of the whole NBL.

10: Jackson going No 1 in the draft. Seattle Storm and Jackson becoming WNBL Champs in 2004

11: Bogut going No 1 in the draft, and one of the first things he buys, a Pontiac GTO (aka Holden Monaro)

12: Cortez Groves alley at the Dome a few years ago......

13: KG getting the first $100 million dollar contract which basically turned the NBA into a joke and caused the lock-out season

14: The old Adelaide and Wildcats rivalry and battles. Can't call them games, they were battles.

15: That brawl in the Palace between the Pistons and Pacers...............ugly

16: The Celtics moving out of the Garden.

17: Reggie Miller going insane at MSG and scoring 25 in the 4th quarter

18: Spud Webb being a dunk champ

19: Nique and Jordan's dunk off where Jordan got help from the hometown fans in taking it out (forget what year)

20: The legends all bowing out from the big show, goodbye Sir Charles, Patrick, MJ, Stock, Price, Magic, Bird, McHale, Kareem, Clyde, The Dream (the list is huge). NBA was it's best in the mid 1980's to late 1990's.

I'm sure there are 100's of others I have missed, anyone got any others that may jog some memories.

Topic #4650 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Mine: Most of those you've listed TR, plus:

Dad taping some documentary about opal over half of our Michael Jordan's Playground video.

Watching NBA Action every weekend.

Being in a little cottage on a farm in Scotland in the middle of nowhere and getting an SMS from my brother telling me about Hudson Maher.

Hearing a story about Drexler winning a dunk competition and then finding out that the ring was set to 11'.

Sixers beating the Pigs for the most recent championship. Almost lost my voice and my hands were red after endless ovations. Nino harassing Matt Garrison in The Planet's VIP room afterwards.

That set of games where Shane Heal was scoring 50+/game.

Reply #53888 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Thats a pretty good list TR.

How about 'chocolate thunder' Darryl Dawkins breaking the backboard.

Isiah Rider and Harold Minor in the dunk comps with those crazy between the legs and east bay funk dunk moves.

I'd add Dougie beating Panther for the "foul champ" this past season - that was special. ;)

Correct me if i'm wrong - but didnt Phil Smyth play an international game (olympics?) with a broken arm or wrist ? Had a cast or some major bandaging on it.
Basically 'generaled' the team with one arm !! That was awesome.

To be politically correct - coz i hate hearing the girls complain on this site - LISA LESLIE's dunk in a WNBL game !

Reesey's spin move on Anstey - " im slow but i still got it "!!

Reply #53890 | Report this post

40th Street Black  
Years ago

36ers playing at the Apollo to packed crowds and being the hottest ticket in town.

As a kid sharing the urinal with players at the Apollo - no team toilets there (and thinking I'm going to grow to be 7 Ft 5)

Watching NBL on FTA

Magic gets AIDS

Bizzy

Jordans Dad is murdered and MJ's retirements

Ken Cole is ousted for smoking some backyard boogie

Reply #53893 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Leslie's dunk in WNBA !

Isaac
im interested to hear about this 11 foot ring re Drexler - where can i find the story ?

40th Street Black : Bizzy LMFAO !!

Reply #53894 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

the 36ers going nuts with treys in the grand final. I think they were shooting 70% or something at half time and had hit heaps of them. I remember rupert sapwell hitting at least 2 off the glass in trademark fashion.

Cortez's alley was awesome i was at that game and it was huge. Only time ive heard the adelaide crowd go up for an opposition score.

NBA wise - pictures and videos of reggies final game will stick with me forever, still sends shivers down my spine.

and

The shots by duncan and fisher in that amazing final 5 seconds.

and

Horry's 3s in playoffs.

Reply #53899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Here's a few:

*L.J. and Zo tearing up the NBA and turning the now dead Charlotte Hornets into one of the worlds hottest teams.

*Shawn Kemp before drugs.

*Starks costing the Knicks a Championship in Game 7 :(

*Watching every game of the Knicks vs Spurs series around midnight on channel 10.

*The 'NBA on NBC' theme

Reply #53903 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

C Webbs Time Out

Pat Riley's Guarantee

Magic & Bird centre court (there wil never, ever ,ever be another Larry Bird or Magic Johnson)

Will Bynum throwing them down in Pasadena

Showtime

Shaq at his best

Detroit Bad Boys v Bulls

NY v Bulls

Spike Lee v MJ (and anybody else)

Tony Ronaldsons shot ( i can't stand him but it was a good shot)

Aussie Junior team wins world champs (Dwight, McKinnon etc.)

Buffalos & Bullets CBA

so many...

Reply #53924 | Report this post

fudgeman  
Years ago

- Isiah Thomas carving up in the finals against the lakers with a busted ankle in 1988 i think

Reply #53927 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Watching Bill Palmer on Channel 7 on Sunday mornings, with Lakers v Celtics every week (and the occasional 76ers ..... and then he became the head of the NBL!).

Bill Palmer's commentary on the NBL with Drew Morphett (seriously - they were bad, and not in a good way).

The red shoes of the Westside Melbourne Saints (Parky, Simon Kerle - eeeek).

Brian Devincenzi's departure and the arrival of some hack called "Mark Davis" to the 36ers.

The amalgamation of the Bearcats and 36ers and how dominant they were before Ken Cole's unfortunate demise.

Bumping into Coley and his 400-gallon car on the street every second week.

Being given a Sacramento Kings poster for winning a foul-shooting competition as a 12-year old and realising that there was more than three teams in the NBA (76ers, Celtics, Lakers).

Bobby Locke. Steps off the plane and scores 50 points and he was only a little man. Very little.

Walking on the low edge of the tunnels around Apollo Stadium and crinking the head sideways like the big guys ..... man, I'm gonna be like them one day!

Hanging out around the locker-rooms in Apollo, listening to the conversations and machinations of the teams/players/coaches.

Playing the video games at Apollo, next to the canteen. Aaah, the good old days.

Looking through the cracks in the stage at Apollo, to see the cheerleaders warming up ..... OK, best get back to basketball now before my wife reads this.

Magic getting AIDS. I rang a high school buddy straight away. It was like a death in the family.

Jerome Kersey telling the world that the Trailblazers would win a championship because "we're too good not to!".

Free to air NBL on Saturday nights on Channel Ten. I spent $100 and bought a second-hand colour TV just to watch the basketball. It was sensational, culminating in the Magic v Tigers series in 1992, with crowds of 15000 for each game (and yes, I still have each game on VHS).

The Chickenfarmer. One of the great nicknames of all time (John Dorge).

Watching South's Mark Davis guard Forestville's Darryl Pearce in the BankSA final each year, because no other player had any hope of stopping the Iceman.

South's Scott Ninnis' 40-point explosion in the 1987 BankSA final to beat Forestville and secure himself a NBL place with the 36ers.

That's enough for now. Aaaah, the memories!

Reply #53934 | Report this post

Kenny Bania  
Years ago

NBL on Channel 10 with Dean Templeton and Steve Quartermain (the best play callers in the biz)...especially SE Melbourne Magic vs Melbourne Tigers derbys

Brisbane Bullets vs Gold Coast Rollers games at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre in the early 90s - 15 000 strong crowds (where have all the people gone??)

The nicknames on the back of the Perth Wildcats Uniforms during the early 90s (J.C., Watto, T.T.)

Michelle Timms playing for the Phoenic Mercury

Seeing MJ in the flesh at the United Centre in Chicago vs a Spurs team featuring a rookie by the name of Duncan.

Darren Ng's 92 3 pointers in 7 minutes

The first post of the new Hoops SA site

Leroy Loggins lefty runners

Calvin Telford's hops

Tom Maher and the Opals breaking through for their first Olympic Medal

A 6ft 2" gangly 15 year old playing for NSW Country at the U/16 Nationals called Lauren Jackson.

The same 15 year old two years later averaging 30pts & 20rebs at the U/18 Nationals in Bendigo...and drawing bigger crowds then the rest of the teams combined.

The Sturt U/14 Boys winning the National Championship last week..."We are Sturt, Sabres thru and thru. We are Sturt, our hearts bleed double blue"....

Reply #53942 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Moses, that wasn't a nickname he was a chiken farmer. LOL

Reply #53950 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

Harlem Globetrotters at Apollo in the late 80's. Luuuukkkeeee, do you love me?

The bus trip to Melbourne for the clean sweep in 98. The ticketing people in Melbourne plotted to split us up and spread us out, but they didn't bank on Cindy Sapwell rallying the troops to make one hell of a racket.

The bus trip for the first open-air game later on. Finally, they could blame the missed shots on the wind!!

Real food at the Dome - oh how I miss it.

Reply #53951 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

This is definately a thread for the ages. Some great memories are flooding back.

Whilst no ball, anyone remember WWF at the Apollo.

Some others:

Kermit Washington deadset flattening Rudy T with a mean hook. Probably the first real insight into a punchup on the court (well it was one swing).

The tinshed at Murray Bridge where the old Bridge Bullets use to play with Billy Fikes throwing down some insane dunks and Mike Parsons filling the C.

Malik's car crash in Minni which nearly cause KG to walk away.

Damn bloody basketball cards. *$%(ing Upper Deck and Hoops. If I invested the money i spent on these things I could of retired at 27.

Remember some great TV adds, L.J with Grandmama, Grant Hill and Sprite. D-Train and his McDonalds. These NBA adds played to a backdrop of classical music (early 80's from memory).

Driving (actually riding in the back of a Barina) to play Centrals the first time (early 90's) and thinking bugger this sh*t....

Some terrific tandem combo's, Brad Daugherty/Mark Price, Jordon/Pip, Kareem/Magic, Brooks/Mee, Kemp/Payton, Gaze/Copland, Fisher/
McClain/McClary, Bird/McHale/Parish, Dumars/Thomas

Sir Charles tossing a guy through the front window of a nightclub.

Basketball shorts in the 80's....lets hope we never go there again!!!!

Watching a young Bogut here in Canberra ripping everyone his age a new hole.

Paying $9 a game every second weekend to see Loz Jackson and Tully beating up the league here in Canberra.

Shawn Kemp before he found Krispy Kreme donuts. Reignman!!!!!!!!!!

Some great nicknames were created which doesn't seem to happen anymore:
Clyde the Glide
The Dream
Sir Charles/Round Mound of Rebound
The Glove
The Big Dipper
The Mailman
Iceman
The Rifleman
Diesel
The Worm
The Stilt
Junkyard Dog
The Admiral
The Sudanese Swatter
Pistol Pete
Skip - short for Skip to my Lou
The Chief
White Chocolate
The Microwave

One name wonders who everyone knew who you were talking about when you said:
Michael
Magic
Larry
Charles
Isiah

Reply #53957 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

Forget Magic and Aids.... Jordan and 6 rings....

Paul Rees hitting 2 threes in the all star game last year - Now that ladies and gentlemen, is the real deal.

Reply #53959 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Olajuwon on that AFL ad. That was gold, saying something about how high in the air the players can get.

Reply #53960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

27 year old Sabonis getting rookie of the year

Reply #53968 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

1) BULLS VS SUNS Finals: Most people expect MJ to hit the winning basket....Bulls pass it to John Paxon who nails a big 3 for the Bulls to win the championship

2) Basketball Cards

3) "I love this game"!

4) Mascots being ejected from NBL games by referees (R.I.P. Ean Turner)

5) The 'new breed' of NBA stars: Derrick Coleman, Steve Smith, LJ, Zo, Gary Payton, Kemp!

6) Tim Hardaway's "Killer Crossover"

7) Joe Dumar's Defence

8) Isiah, Joe, John Salley, Dennis Rodman and Bill Lambier - The Detroit Bad Boys

9) Larry Bird...just being Bird!

10) MJ's dunks, moves, spins, passes, defence

11) Ewing vs Robinson vs Olajuwon

12) Reebok vs Nike, Pumps vs Jordans

13) Being an Eastern Conference fan!

14) Chris Blakemore!!!

Reply #53970 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Watching a young kid at a sixers training at Apollo hit 19 threes in a row then dunk on Bradtke in a 3 ON 2 drill...asking Butch Hays who the hell that kid is and getting the answer Brett Marsh or something like that.

Tim Hatchett's 360 dunk over Bradtke in the last game at Apollo

Cat punching a Canadian and getting thrown out of an international "friendly" at the dome

Those cumfy theatre chairs at apollo

Wille Jennette going 20/21 in a SEABL at Apollo

George Gervins baseline finger roll over Mike McKay

Butch Hays tip in dunk over JC from a missed foul shot at the dome in a pre season game.

Al Green chasing down a fast break so quick at Apollo that he could not stop and ended up smashing into that metal fence at the bottom of the ramp at the entrance.

Scott Ninnis hitting a three to put south into the GF with less than a second to go.

South V Forrestville going into double OT ( i think) with Darryl Pearce bailing the Eagles out every time with unconscious shooting think he finished with 50+

The south team that had names like Davis, Sykes, Drizners, Adams, Al, Noack, Breeding, Mc Math being coached by the one and only Don Shipway.

Billy Fikes dunking ehibitions at the Armery in Murray Bridge only to end up making the gf to get killed by some punk called Sam Mac.

Reply #53971 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Speaking of great ads, what about the Larry and MJ ads - through the window off the wall nothing but net.

Reply #54074 | Report this post

Kareem Abdul -J  
Years ago

That was a sweet ad i must agree.
Pity it was for the evil empire .. McDonalds?

Reply #54085 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Only trying to think of things not mentioned...

Dwayne McClain and the MaccaDs TV ad. Undisputed king of the NBL in the early 90s.

Lakers v Celtics - the bball videogame!

On first trip away as a junior, watching the Gruffnuts dominate.

Watching Mellow's record breaking 3pt ABL effort.

Booing Mark Bradtke at NBL games but not understanding why until much later.

The Starks dunk.

Magic's comeback. Much like Maradona and Mike Tyson. We all wanted to believe but we knew it wouldn't work.

MJ's comeback. We all believed.

Olajuwon's block (I think it was KJ). Y'know the one where he runs from about half court and makes up 10m. Every kid in every comp was trying to do that after he did it.

Watching SA Country beat SA Metro at U16 nationals 3 years ago in a semifinal. Madness.

Reply #54126 | Report this post

terry bonus  
Years ago

Watching Andy Blicavs tear up Butch Lee at Montreal Olympics in '76...

Reply #62328 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

"On first trip away as a junior, watching the Gruffnuts dominate."

Libertine how good were they, hey ?
The Goulash Gruffnuts !!

Melbourne basketballers were frightened of that team right up until about 1997 - they shat their pants every year.

Im sure Lommax could elaborate as to where the name came from ?

Reply #62336 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Two of the best questions:
1: - "Can I play now?"
2: - "Got 'em any blacker?"

Name the commercials.

Reply #65876 | Report this post

Darryl Pearc  
Years ago

All great highlights.......but i've got to be biased.

The 1986 Adelaide 36ers winning the championship that year and going 24 / 2.... that takes some beating.

Cheers

Darryl

Reply #311259 | Report this post

Darryl Pearc  
Years ago

All great highlights.......but i've got to be biased.

The 1986 Adelaide 36ers winning the championship that year and going 24 / 2.... that takes some beating.

Cheers

Darryl

Reply #311260 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:24 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754