Anonymous
Years ago

Politics in District Clubs

i am a basketballer who has just finished his career and am afraid to say that i have been pushed away from basketball due to the way some clubs run themselves.
for a number of years i have been playing lower level basketball. (i am not saying i am a great player) but i was never givin a chance in a higher level.

Topic #4686 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

please discuss

Reply #54127 | Report this post

Darth Vader  
Years ago

The solution is ... promotion/relegation.

Reply #54128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how can promotion relegation help if he isn't a good player if he only deserved to be div 2 or 3 how in the bloody hell does pro/rel help that he will then be playing div 6 in some didly squat league

oh please pro/rel is not the perfect answer to the world's ills

or basketball in this state

Reply #54130 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

Which club...div...player age...players selected ahead of you...your experience as a player...attitude...work ethic...skill level compared to others..what were the reasons for opportunity not going your way.

Reply #54133 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Someone thinks they are a better player than they really are I think....

Reply #54137 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

Anon 54130, I think that Darth was having a go at the fact that some people's answer to everything is pro/rel. Have a good look around the forum and you might get the joke.

Reply #54138 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

By the way, have you ever played any other sport at a Club level. From what I have heard form friends in Footy and Netball Clubs, I think you might find it is all the same.

Reply #54139 | Report this post

Baggy  
Years ago

This is a emotional issue from players and parents in particular. There are always favorites in clubs who seem to get a div 1 spot in every year level but spend most of their careers on the bench. I am of the belief that you are better off in a division where you can competently dribble, shoot, rebound and score occasionally than in a division (eg div 1), where you are under so much pressure you can't confidently do any of these. The only proviso is that ideally you are training with the best people you can. This works for Div 2 players who get 25-30 minutes a game and enjoy it because they are at the correct level for them (ie first five) but they train with the div 1 div 2 squad. This is better than being number 9 or 10 in a div 1 team and getting 5 or 10 minutes where you are continually under pressure ?? In many cases this is the parents pushing their kids. No easy answer.

Reply #54146 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

According to many parents, this is why you should play Junior Basketball first- then you would be prepared for the big let-down.
You mention you have been "pushed away from 'ball by the way some clubs run themselves".
Have you tried many? Not being nasty, but perhaps the problem, and answer, is staring at you when you shave each morning

Reply #54150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i have heard some good/ interesting points. i really dont c myself as a future star or even a div 1 player. the fact of the matter is that not only had i come to every trainin and every game and worked hard but that i have never even been given a look . i would like to hear of different situations where politics have over ran players
This is an open ended discussion not only about myself(i have finished)

Reply #54202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

did you ask why you weren't looked at

feedback can often be good

it might be you were where you were suited

it might have been you were better suited ie a good player to prop up a weaker team

myriad of reasons

politics is involved in all walks of life

or types of sport

sometimes it is the peoples head

Reply #54204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

look mate maybe just have a year off, i once was in div3a then they dropped me by winter to div5b 4 teams... i just kept getting dropped and my confidence kept getting shot. I quit... came back a year later, then changed clubs and am now playing pretty high up... maybe u just need a change.

Reply #54218 | Report this post

if you love the game and want / think you can be the best - and your club doesn't think / feel that as well

move now! - you never know

it is clear the club doesn't share the same thing - you are more important than some club

player = person
club = organization

Reply #54219 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

we were at a middle of the road club - gave blood for the cause

and subsequently treated woefully for no reason than poor management and aimless B grade club politics.

So we changed to a stronger club (dropped a division or two) - and never been treated better / been happier

Reply #54223 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

A lot of disgruntled ex-juniors blame politics at their respective clubs for stopping them from playing basketball at the level they think they should be. I could choose to trot the "politics" chestnut out, but i prefer to believe that the older I get the better I was! (joke)

I believe that parents of junior District players have a lot to answer for in this regard:
1 - basketball as a sport provides recreation, physical exercise and social skills at an early age.
2 - as children get older, they may choose to continue on into district basketball (which is great!).
3 - THE PROBLEM - Parents often are unrealistic in their understanding of how capable a player their child is, and want TOO MUCH say in their childs basketball pursuits. Rose-coloured glasses! Just as every kid won't be Prime minister of Australia (although I wish I could choose one to be!), not every kid is gonna play D1, ABL, NBL or NBA. (I hope this doesn't suprise the majority of readers!!!)

Politics is evident in every basketball club in SA, it is more prevalent in some clubs compared to others, but it is out there.

The best changes i've seen in basketball clubs have been the ones made from within - get on board!!!

I think i can best sum up my p.o.v. as thinking of Basketball as a user-pays system like your electricity or home phone - if you don't like the service you are currently getting, change provider(=club)

Peace.

Reply #54269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some interesting points made here, but call me old fashioned but arent you supposed to enjoy the game as well.

I agree that not every child will be a superstar, but why stop playing if you love to play the game. Find a club you like, and play the game and enjoy it and stop worrying about politics. Play it because you enjoy itand who cares about the rest!!! Its a great sport and has lots of benefits so enjoy it

Reply #54313 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754