Isaac
Years ago

Funny Sixers overcome Hawks, move two clear

The Adelaide 36ERS have beaten the Wollongong Hawks 113-103 at the Distinctive Homes Dome to grab their sixth straight victory and hold a two win advantage over other teams on the Philips Championship ladder. While the 36ERS shot poorly from the field (37%), the difference came from free throws as the Hawks failed to adjust to the officiating and sent Adelaide to the charity stripe 56 times.

David Cooper scored 9 of his 13, and Jacob Holmes 10 of his 18 points from free throws. Two of Cooper's other points came from an early dunk as the Sixers took the lead at the opening and never gave it up. Adelaide saw scoring contributions from all players who hit the court in the opening period until Dusty Rychart picked up the pace in the second and added 11 to lead all scorers at the main break with 14.

Wollongong star Glen Saville was defended during the game by a mixture of Holmes and Oscar Forman, as the two 36ERS limited Saville to just 4 points on 1 of 6 shooting, and frustrated him into 6 fouls - one a technical. Forman saw his game-time limited by foul-trouble also (finishing with 5 for the game), but had 11 points and 7 rebounds as he continued his impact off the bench over the last fortnight.

After half-time, Adelaide made a small run to push the margin near 20 points. Up until that point, Adelaide posted a substantial half-time rebound count picking up boards at both ends of the court. Rychart had 15 for the game (including 10 offensive) and Holmes added 13. With many shots offline, Hawk Tony Rampton also enjoyed a big night on the boards, grabbing 21 to go with 22 points. His only consistent support came from the athletic Cortez Groves who scored 25 in the second half and drew scattered applause from an opposing crowd with a range of moves including a superb two-handed dunk en route to 30 points for the game.

Brett Maher played his usual Captain's hand, leading Adelaide with 23 points for the game, and adding 5 rebounds and 6 assists, while incurring only a single turnover. At half-time, Wollongong had held Willie Farley to only three points, and Maher to just 7, every other Adelaide player who made the court had contributed at least two baskets. In contrast the Hawks had only 5 points from Groves, 4 from Saville and 7 from Matt Campbell -- between the three of them, they had only two points at quarter-time.

Wollongong shot a better percentage from the field, behind the arc and from the line, but simply did not adapt to the officials' penchance for calling a soft game. In the final quarter, the Hawks rallied behind Groves, Campbell and import Adam Ballinger with a barrage of baskets, but Adelaide lifted to secure the win, with long bombs to Farley (17 points, 5 points, 5 assists) and free throws to Holmes.

The foul count (58 total) and number of trips to the stripe (84 in all) meant that this was not necessarily the most watchable game for fans, but a season-best turned out in Adelaide for the game, and the home team secured a positive result and extended their streak to six undefeated games.

With the result Adelaide moves to the top of the NBL ladder with 7 wins and a single loss, while Wollongong slips to 3 wins, 5 losses and 8th position. The 36ERs next travel to New Zealand for a game against the NZ Breakers.

Adelaide 36ERS 113 (Maher 23, Rychart 20, Holmes 18, Farley 17, Cooper 13, Forman 11, Hill 8, Rees 3)
Wollongong Hawks 103 (Groves 30, Rampton 22, Campbell 18, Ballinger 16)

Topic #4724 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

BTW, my estimate of the crowd was 5,300 and the official figure was 5,375. In your face BF! High 5k my arse!

Reply #54467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice right up Isaac, I thought it was the biggest crowd of the year, but probably the quietest too - I think the game had something to do with that.

I thin Oscar's court time will be limited if he doesnt engage his brain again next game, I think at least 4 of his fouls were stupid fouls and should definetely not have been committed by him.

I liked the drummers and hopefully they will get into it more and more each week. Would be great to see 10 of them all going at it, and maybe a few trumpters as well to join the guy in the cheer squad.

Another idea to spice up the 3/4 time kids shoot out, have 4 kids and one ball, lets see the kids fight it out for the ball :)

Reply #54472 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

band was good, only problem i had was that they kinda stalled the crowd some time. By this i mean people were clapping in time and the announcer would say d-fence and then the drummers would do the d-fence clapping which was not the same sound as the normal mono tone clappiing.

It did bring something different though and would be good if they expand the idea and get them in some decent clothes, or some kinda uniform.

Reply #54482 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

GO JACOB HOLMES, GO

Reply #54485 | Report this post

supporter  
Years ago

Isaac
I disagree that the refs called a soft game. The way Brendan Joyce was stirring the pot, the game could have got completely out of hand had the fouls not been called. I thought the refs did a very good job, especially Michael Aylen who always had things under control.
I do agree that the game was uninspiring because of the stop, start with free-throws. Some of the great 3 point shots and dunks helped improve it as a spectacle.

Reply #54488 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

you have to say that rees does go over the top a lot of the times though, I was just waiting for him to cop a T.

Reply #54490 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Rees has been quite grumpy for the last few games now. I don't know who's feeding him grumpy pills before the game but they better stop. There were times last night I just wanted to tell him to shut up and sit down. I could see that it was not going to do the team any good if he started to cop tech fouls for his behaviour. He has to know its a team game and not just about him. Not only that, it was at a time that the team had a good lead and unsettling behaviour like that can easily turn things around. From that point on, it nearly did, from a 22 point lead down to single figures in a short space of time.

As for the crowd, it looked a lot bigger than what the figures suggest. The upper sections in the southern stand looked much more filled. As did the east and west stands. Great to see a win in double digits for a change.

Reply #54492 | Report this post

AJ  
Years ago

The refs did do a better job then thay did last week. Only one however was from Adelaide (most games we have two).

Reply #54494 | Report this post

PUNTER  
Years ago

There were 2 refs from Adelaide, Weeks and Filmer. So that blew that comment

Reply #54495 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

on the crowd i thought it was excellent (the number of people, not the atmosphere) especially considering the soccer was on as well. When i turned up the car park was pretty empty i though it was going to be a real low turnout but to my surprise it filled up well.

Reply #54496 | Report this post

BF  
Years ago

I made that guess after 5 scotch and cokes.

Reply #54503 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

So did the Hawks really call a Time-Out in the dying seconds? When the result was decided....

I want to see this timeout replicated :-) BTW this is also a better scoreline, and look the players have had enough of Phil being on court during the timeouts that they have all joined him out there for an on court timeout (don't ask me how or why this particular timeout was held on court but it was :-)

Reply #54508 | Report this post

supporter  
Years ago

The time out was just before the 2 minute mark and Joyne blew his stack at the scorers for not giving it to him after his own team scored. 6ers ball and clock running.

Reply #54510 | Report this post

Jimmy  
Years ago

WTF? that photo of hte computerized 36ers?? where did that come from? dont tell me there is an nbl game out????

Reply #54515 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Soon, not a game as such but a modification/add on for teh NBA Live Series...

More in this thread
http://www.hoops.com.au/sa/i.cfm/forumlist/4367/

Reply #54519 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Thats so cool.....wish theyd bring out an NBL game

Reply #54523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can you have a time out after your own team scored??

Reply #54531 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

"Thats so cool.....wish theyd bring out an NBL game "

We'll this is practically it :-)

Reply #54543 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Wollongong under Joyce has always been a dour boring watch with a high 'defensive' focus (for a definition of 'defensive', see 'fouls'). However, this game reached all new lows for Joyce and co. Other than Groves (who was exceptional in a one man show) Wollongong lacked any flair or intensity. Without Mee, they lack the talent and ability to run a stopping dee like that.

Great game to the Sixers, who are 10 times more exciting and talented than the 'Gong, but I don't know that I will be rushing to see the next 'Gong game after that performance.

Would like to see the Sixers finish off a team like Wollongong a little more convincingly than that. It should have been a comfortable 25 point win.

Next home game v Brisbane. Now you know that that is going to be a closer more exciting game. Looking forward to it already!

Reply #54627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DJ - why did the sixers congregate at the Hawks end of the court?

Reply #54650 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Hahaha - or why did the Sixers occupy the opposition bench?

Reply #54718 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:34 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754