Skyhook
Years ago

Who's your Best/Favourite non-36er ?

I think it is safe to say that the majority of the posters on this forum would choose 36ers if asked "who is your favourite/best NBL player? "

With a lot of new kids on the block and imports (thanks mostly to Goorjian turning them over so fast) -- i'd like to know which players from other teams people rate?

Some of mine are :

John Rillie ( i know ex 36er- but far enough removed now )

Cortez Groves - for being so mediocre for 2 1/2 qtrs then making some crazy athletic plays against us ( wow factor)

Clint Reed - young guy with mad hops and a good mid range jumper.

Shawn Redhage - just goes about his work every night . Suprised by stat lines every time.

D-Mac - impressive coz he's old .

Mark Worthington - will be rookie of the year . Quality guy - and he had a bad one against us which was good .

Respect to Rhys Carter at the pigs for taking up the point in a difficult year for them no Markovic and Dwight.

Who do you rate ?

Topic #4798 | Report this topic

Skyhook  
Years ago

Jeez - what a great response this topic has had. Just trying to get the B/ball juices flowing.

Just call me Bizzy then :(

Reply #55327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say John Rillie as well. I cannot understand why Boti bags this guy. Not only a great shooter but has given many nice dishes in his time.

Darnell (also far enough removed by now) remains an all time fav.

Sad to se Simon Dwight go.

Reply #55328 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Plenty of ex-Sixers top my list - Mee, Cattalini, Rille.

But of those that have never played for the 36ers at all D-Mac is my favourite, and has been for a long time.

I don't know why but I generally prefer the import players.

Reply #55329 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Aaron Trahair..

Reply #55331 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

See Skyhook just mention my name in a thread and the replies come flowing. =]

I would definately rate Cortez - purely on show and athleticism.

I like Brad Newley as a young and up-and-comer - tried to Dunk on Anstey the other week, guy has nads the size of watermelons.

Don't mind Bailey from Perth purely because anyone that small deserves to be rated + once his team-mates get used to his little dishes they might actually get close to winning a game.

Reply #55332 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Who was that guy from Melbourne Tigers that Boti used to bag all the time. I think he used to read the papers because he always played well against us. He was someone who knew what his role was and played it well.

Grace, Gaze, Rose and Rucker were all worth the price of the ticket.

Going back a while, Andy Blicavs, Cal Bruton and Phil Smyth. I would have said Danny Moresau but I can't spell his name?

Reply #55333 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Bizzy - well said . I agree Bailey is exciting to watch . I was almost cheering for him against US !!

I dont think Perth will keep him next year unless he guides them deep into final (wont !!)- but you cant fault him too much so far . I think he had one game with like 7 turnovers - but if you saw it, it was more his teammates not catching bullet passes.
Like Brett Maher , he is an awesome offensive rebounder too .

Reply #55335 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Robert Rose, no need to say anymore.

Absolute legend - should still be in Adelaide.

Reply #55338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Bradtke. Best centre this country will ever see

Reply #55342 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

1. Rashard Tucker
2. Cortez Groves
3. Larry Abney
4. David Bailey
5. Mike Helms

Reply #55343 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Shane Heal

I want a basketball icon for that...

Reply #55344 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I'm a big fan of Dave Thomas game, and enjoyed the Mike Helms show on Fox Wed night :-)

Reply #55346 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Brad Newley and Mike helms, he was awesome Wednesday, where did he come from?

Reply #55357 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Bradtke is not the best center, wat a ridiculous comment. Newley is exciting as a mofo to watch, and top guy. Can't remember guys name, think it was something brown? he was funny as hell to watch when he played us last season, so much anger in the young man, lol.

Reply #55359 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

I LOVE MICK HILL and BOBBY BRANNEN.

Reply #55364 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

rob brown from the crocs last yr

Helms played college ball last yr was 3rd in the country in ppg, but played in one of the lesser conferences so didnt go up against the better players.

Reply #55375 | Report this post

coach k  
Years ago

Mott the hopple, you mean Warwick Giddey?
Ricey, come on Mate. Bradtke is the best centre to play in the NBL. If you're talking best Aussie centre ever, then Longley is the Man.
Helms played in the Mid-Continent conference last year, the same as a PG from Vic, Luke Spencer-Gardiner.

Reply #55387 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Mee is one of all time favourites - complete player who does it for the win and team.

Burgess for sure.

Reply #55392 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

That's him, thanks Coach K.

Leroy was another I enjoyed watching (especially for West Adelaide).

Reply #55394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brad Newley
Jeff Dowdell
Adam Gibson

Reply #55397 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

brad newley - he'll be in the nba by 2007 at the latest.

Reply #55415 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

brad newley.

Reply #55430 | Report this post

Years ago

Newley and J. Smith

Reply #55450 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

James Smith and Cortez Groves...some of his moves look like they are on NBA 06

Reply #55500 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mark Davis

Reply #55524 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:26 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754