annoyed
Years ago

boomers players vs non players

i just find it hard to believe how obvious it has been made when deciding who will play minutes and who wont, hows this sound:

Heal:goorjian's boy/sydney
nielson:goorjian's boy/sydney
J.smith:goorjians's boy/magic,titans,sydney
saville:joyce's boy/wollongong
anderson:joyce's boy/wollongong

the others

maher
cat/remember game in sydney???
rogers
rillie
ronaldson/ex boy goorjian booted him.

all im saying is that yeah the guys that are playing deserve to play but i see cat and mahersy as the most glaring ones and to think the guys in the rotation apart from bogut are coached or have been coached in NBL by both head and assistant coach leaves a big question to be asked

Topic #480 | Report this topic

Tommy  
Years ago

As a logical person I would have to admit that ANY coach will favour the players he is familiar with, as the boy Goorj has done. He knows what they will do and how.

As a typical Adelaide fan, I hate the Boy Goorj and the Golden boy Shane (the Tool) Heal.

WHen I heard the commentary by Andrew Gaze repeatedly stating that Heal is the 'GoTo Man' and that the ball should end up in his hands for a clutch 3pt shot in the dying seconds of the game, it all became clear. ANYONE associated with the previous campaigns, and the Tool, makes our campaign PREDICTIBLE. All Puerto Rico had to do was look for the 3pt from the Tool, as far as the Boomers coaching staff showed thats all we had to serve up when we needed to score.
The fact that the blonde bombshell plays his game for his own glory, and the pleasure of shooting his load each and everytime he plays is irrelevant to Boy Goorj, cause he loves watching Shane shooting his load. The fact that he is only shooting at 30% compared to Brett (the true champion) who shoots at 60% is irrevevant to Brian. Brett doesnt play for Sydney, asme as the rest of the bench players.

I seriously believe after the number of games that the Boomers played leading up to the Olympics that we should've shown at much more cohesive team that went futher done the bench that seventh or eighth. How the hell did Cat not get a game when his skill and aggression would've been so valuable? For those saying he's too short, too slow, to,...... how the hell would anyone know, the guys hasn't even set foot on court yet has he. And what about Rillie, speaking of clutch 3pt shooters? Face it Brian plays favourites just like every other coach does, but when it affects the final result because of his stubborness, he's got to go, along with Shame Heal. Shame, shame, shame.

Surely when the game is in the dying minutes and you need to score, the best attack is surprise. THE LAST Person who should've hoisted the shot was the one they ALL expected. TOOL has got to go for Australian basketball to progress, our days of relying on one player must be put behind us for good, regardless of what Shane and boy Goorj tell us

Reply #3904 | Report this post

mark  
Years ago

The favouritism that Goorjian has displayed is a real shame. Had this tournament been even a mild success then maybe he could defend his choices, but 3 4th quarter chokes in winnable games is just a joke.

We have gone from Barnes who would favour a Gaze and Heal orientated lineup, to Goorjian who just favours Heal. Basketball Australia has made a massive step back in international play.

You'd hope that this poor showing would result in the same knee-jerk reaction that cost Phil the job, but I have a feeling that it will all be blamed on player inexperience and Brian will still be there for Beijing.

Reply #3907 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Mark,

"You'd hope that this poor showing would result in the same knee-jerk reaction that cost Phil the job, but I have a feeling that it will all be blamed on player inexperience and Brian will still be there for Beijing."

Wasn't Phil's Boomers' losses to NZ for this exact reason - player inexperience?

I can only hope BA are sitting there going 'Oh my god, we have made a huge mistake!'.

Reply #3909 | Report this post

deak  
Years ago

Question: If they fire Goorj, who do they replace him with?

If our solution is to fire every coach that doesn't conquer the world, then Australian Basketball will be in trouble for a lot longer.

Reply #3950 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Joey Wright has been suggested. I thought Goorjian would be a lot more reasonable and flexible than Barnes.

Reply #3957 | Report this post

kdfha  
Years ago

its not that goorjian is not dominating..its the he is blatently descriminating and NOT playing the best players in some stages. Always difficult to discuss new coaches but anyone but goorjian...

Reply #4060 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

Perhaps Jan Stirling's example is the one that SHOULD be followed. She has demonstrated her professionalism and hunger to be succesful by choosing to dedicate herself to the job fulltime, and look at the results.
Also, I think I saw hte Opals players ALL getting a run in the first quarter of their first match, to take away the anxiety of sitting endlessly on the bench waiting for the 'A team' to get into foul trouble before the bench gets a call up. I think this was a fantastic psychological tactic in confidence boosting for her team. Take note Goorj maybe you can still learn something!!

Reply #4062 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

I actually thought that Goorjian would do an all right job. I thought he would be sensible and methodical in his coaching.

How disappointed I am that he has played up to certain players to stroke egos and gain favouritism. Worst of all, he has done this at the expense of a successful campaign, and at the expense of players who deserve more.

For someone like Cat who has worked hard to get there and has touched the pine for 2 mins is a tragedy. Maher deserves more than has got and Rillie at least a few mins per game.

BG should take some lessons from Stirling.

Reply #4066 | Report this post

Tommy  
Years ago

OK. So for those who wish to think lateraly.... could a succesfull, professional international coach replace the boy Goorj???
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Even if she was a woman?
Vote 1 Jan Stirling for new Boomers coach?
Why not, she wouldn't have ANY loyalty to any NBL program or male players. She is technically good, and obviously a good manager of people, so why not?

Reply #4411 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Marty Clarke as the AIS/Boomers coach, providing a link between the young guns and top team, as well as overseeing the National league in Summer. He has won an NBL title, and played the highest level. Will stop any "Sydney Kings bias" or whatever from happening. Plus, he will have networked with all the young Aussie guns playing college ball in the US, so he'll know the likes of Iti, Dillon, Neville etc

Reply #4515 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:55 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754