Anonymous
Years ago

OT

just wondering what is the most OT 2 teams have had in a game

Topic #4847 | Report this topic

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

not sure on the record, but i played in a game that went to Triple OT.

It was a Grand Final up at the Eastern Hills Association.

i fouled out in the second OT, with the other team (Zodiacs) winning on the back of J.Goodenough. He dropped 50 even for the game.

Reply #55771 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Didn't a game up in Brisbane in the 90s between the Bullets and the Wildcats go into 4 over-time periods?

Reply #55778 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Check out this site for a whole lot of bball trivia:

http://www.basketball.com/nba/records/NBAteamRegOT.shtml

Reply #55782 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Libertine was involved in a double OT game last season if i'm not mistaken. A final against North - very exhausting !!

Reply #55783 | Report this post

MC  
Years ago

NBA Finals 92-93 (I believe), Chicago v Phoenix game 3 went to triple OT

Reply #55792 | Report this post

Lloyd Braun  
Years ago

Denver Vs Detriot,December 13,1983

Highest Scoring NBA game in history:

On that night in Denver, the two clubs combined for 370 total points, as the Pistons won the triple-overtime game, 186-184. Among the most interesting statistical feats:
Six Pistons scored in double-figures: Isiah Thomas (47), John Long (41), Kelly Tripucka (35), Terry Tyler (18), Bill Laimbeer (17), and Vinnie Johnson (12).
And six Nuggets reached double-figures: Kiki Vandeweghe (51), Alex English (47), Dan Issel (28), Mike Evans (16), Richard Anderson (13), and Danny Schayes (11).
The teams shot a combined 142-for-251 (.566) from the field.
If the Pistons had made 85 percent of their free throws, they would have reached 200 points for the game!

Reply #55798 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Wow .. they must have played NO defense at all !!

Reply #55801 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

man thats a HUGE score

Reply #55838 | Report this post

CPD  
Years ago

The longest game in NBA history went to 6 OT: Indianapolis (75) at Rochester (73), January 6, 1951. High scoring game! :)

There's lots of interesting records online at http://www.nba.com/history/records/alltime_records_index.html

I don't know about the NBL because they positively suck at providing this kind of historical information (especially online). It's probably in the media guide but I don't know where to get them... Suggestions?

Disclaimer: most of the following is really wishful thinking that there might one day be decent (FTA) TV coverage of the NBL. I don't have Fox, so for all I know my points are nullified, in which case you should just ignore it.

Going off track a little here, but one of the things I enjoy about the NBA is the way great moments aren't simply forgotten about a couple of days after they happen, check out http://www.nba.com/history/index_moment.html. Coverage of big games usually include short vignettes or at least make mention of great moments that are somehow relevant (this may be the broadcaster, rather than the NBA but I think the point is still valid). IMHO, doing this adds to the occasion, rather than takes away from it. The league draws on its history, sending the message "We have a great league with a rich history. Watch our games and you could witness something amazing!" The AFL (and it's broadcasters) constantly engage the public with Heritage rounds, Grand Final marathons, and they even ran a "Memorable Moments" competition last season, the list goes on. The ACB / Channel 9 do the same thing with the cricket, especially during breaks / lulls in play and rain interuptions (has anyone *not* heard of "Bradman's 1948 Invincibles"?). Admittedly, there's a fine line between subtley and overexposure, but it doesn't seem to hurt any of them.

This is something I don't think the NBL has ever really grasped or attempted to address (there's a small sprinkling of info throughout nbl.com.au but it's way too fragmented and incomplete). I realise it could claim to be a young league (26 years), but there's still plenty of interesting history to draw on. Anyone remember the specifics of Scott Fisher's buzzer beater to win the '89 All Star game? (Great game BTW) What about the awesome rivalry between the Wildcats and the 36ers in the second half of the 80's (I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere on nbl.com.au)? How about documenting Gaze's struggle to lift the lowly Tigers into the 'playoffs', only to be disappointed with 4 consecutive eliminations before ultimately leading them to a Championship in '93? Then there's Leroy's MVP years when he could do anything, the cavalcade of spectacular imports (focusing on their highlights rather than how many of them were duds), Tim Dillon's back-to-back 40+ games in the 1988 finals, Al Green's 71 points in 1984, Sydney going from the violet crumbles to a 3-peat, the dominant Spectres/Giants/Magic/Titans teams that 'only' claimed 3 championships from 9 finals appearances between 1991 and 2000.

Maybe I should conduct my own survey on the boards...

(Mod: Something that I've not considered before, but all very true. I've emailed the NBL about this post as I figure it's something for them to consider, whether they have the resources to act or not.)

Reply #55845 | Report this post

CPD  
Years ago

If they want to give me the job of researching & compiling candidates for such a list, I'd be more than happy to take it!

Reply #55921 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

CPD,

NBL replied this morning and said that they were definitely looking at adding some history to the site in the future, but that the current priorities were improving the live stats, and getting some video highlights online.

I think the best way to ascertain the inclusions for great NBL moments would be to survey the fans. Gets people involved and shares the workload.

Hopefully they'll get some time to do it soon.

I've also suggested that they make the NBL Media Guide available for sale to fans. They're pretty comprehensive and professional, so I don't see why they wouldn't sell them to those interested.

Reply #55925 | Report this post

CPD  
Years ago

Good news on all fronts. Let's hope they're serious about it!

Reply #56003 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:17 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754