Libertine
Years ago

What should a club's main focus be?

Juniors or Seniors?

If, under the current salary structure, a club can still go top-heavy with a superb senior side, as my club looks like doing (Oakley, Thompson returning, Eley possible, other unconfirmed rumours regarding NBL/ex-NBL players), what becomes the focus of the club?!

A couple of seasons at the top with relative succes whilst not slacking in the development department (Essendon 2000/01 then drop back to pack)?

Or should a club in the current environment concentrate on making their juniors the best they possibly can, expose them to Mens basketball and fast-track their development - whilst facilitating an ongoing loyalty to the club, which will mean when it comes to the junior player stepping into the senior program wages are negligible.

I'm not at all saying this will happen at my club, Andrew Webber's is an example of junior development and the benefit of exposing excellent juniors to senior basketball.

But also, what happens if a club goes top heavy, and players such as Webber, Benson, or Burdon miss out on crucial years of development due to having to sit for 'name' or NBL players etc?

(*DISCLAIMER* I was not drunk when I wrote this, though unsurprisingly I'm feeling a bit peckish. I think it went around in circles though I hope people will talk about the point - if they can find it!!)

Topic #491 | Report this topic

yogee  
Years ago

I think Juniors should be the main focus for clubs.

Without your junior development, they do not develop into good, or excellent senior players.

It is easier to recruit kids (or I would assume so, not really having that much involvement with junior basketball apart from umpiring) than adults, who already have heavy demands on their time.

Get them into the basketball habits early (training etc), and they take that into senior years.

Also, without junior fees (registration, playing fees etc), clubs could not have their senior teams, or if they did, it would be costing the players more to play.

Reply #4024 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

It all starts from your ABL program. Sometimes Junior coaches get way bogged down in the beleif in their own skills in developing players. Nothing beats kids going out and watching their ABL team and learning from those players.

Those younger players entering senior basketball would be advantaged by working with an ex nbl player for a season or two. Not neccessarily through any overt instruction from the older players but just by watching and learning the work ethic, skills and whatever else it is that these guys have.

Skill acquisition does not only occur by actually doing but also by watching/visualising. A good experiment would be to get 2 groups of kids. 1 group watches NBA games etc. for a few months and another group watches days of our lives or jerry springer. They still play and train an equal amount with the same amount of teaching from their junior coach. Which group is going to acquire a greater standard of basketball skills?

Reply #4034 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

I think Norwood have done a great job of bringing players through the juniors. They rarely recruit players from other clubs and focus more on retaining their juniors. Of the side at the moment there are only 2 players who havent played the majority of their juniors at the club. Even Robin Eley played the majority of his juniors at Norwood.

In regards to the ABA I think you put the best side possible on the court. The aim is to win a championship. The best player should play. The juniors will develop by training and playing reserves. If the juniors are good enough they will play like Webber.

Reply #4131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lommax - the two being C Bell and Foster? Krause was Adelaide Giants??? The women have a few recruits too yes...

Reply #4137 | Report this post

Harold  
Years ago

every clubs focus should just be to get my main man Simon Kent on board!!

Reply #4139 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

Krause played his juniors at Norwood then went to Adelaide then came back.

Reply #4169 | Report this post

Rudiger  
Years ago

Juniors! Without a doubt!!!

Clubs do not exist without juniors!! A good junior program will lead into a strong senior program.

Also who generates more income for the club? Juniors or Seniors? My guess would be the juniors!!!

Seniors are important but, the focus should be on developing juniors.

Reply #4185 | Report this post

unknow  
Years ago

i say that the best club with a junior program is eagles. they are developing their juniors much better han some clubs. and lets ace it if you dont develop your juniors the club has no future.

Reply #4193 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Harold, I like the way everyone ignored you. I'm with you on Simon Kent. He's a player who needs some work but under the tutelage of a Scott Whitmore-type, he could flourish into something awesome. Has the physical ability to be an NBL big-man - just has to work on the other side of his game. C'mon Woodville - sign the wild child from the south!

Reply #4249 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Norwood as an example are just lucky to have developed so many juniors in the past, whom have gone on to play in their ABL side, successfully :)

With the salary cap changes though, should clubs now focus spending more money on the junior side, or give the maximum (was it 25k?) to both senior teams?

Reply #4269 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:47 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754