ell45
Years ago

Shawn Redhage POTW

Shawn Redhage has taken out the player of the week title for round 9
"In one of the closest competitions for the NBL's weekly honours this season, Redhage narrowly edged out Adelaide's Dusty Rychart and Wollongong's Adam Ballinger for the Round Nine award.

Rychart can count himself unlucky not to have scored the weekly honours after averaging 31.5 points, nine rebounds and three assists as his side went 1-1 in Round Nine. 'The Dustman' included a league season-high of 44 points in his game against New Zealand in a standout match."

Topic #4950 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Tough, but not surprising.

Reply #56914 | Report this post

olskoolgamer  
Years ago

Dusty was ripped off!

Reply #56915 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

perth going 2-0 against us at 1-1 may have swung the vote.

Reply #56916 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Kent, nothing should have swung the vote. It's supposed to reward an individuals achievement not the teams, hence POTW not TOTW.

Reply #56919 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Sure but part of being a good player is getting your team wins.

ie Kobe in LA last year,would he have been an appropraite MVP nominee.

Judging by who has won it in the past against some stand out individual performances i reckon that that is part of the criteria.

How many player of the weeks did Weathers win last year?

Not saying that i agree just saying that your team needs to have won if it is a close decision.

Reply #56922 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

The fact that one of Perth's wins was against us may have swung the vote.

Who knows? I don't know what the criteria is.

Reply #56923 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

I think standout individual performances should be rewarded over team success, 44 and 13 are u serious??? It isnt as though redhage is the reason the cats went 2-0, look at PC, bailey, ronaldson etc.

Reply #56930 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I tend to agreed - it is player of the week and whilst team wins should have some influence on the decission 44 points is the best individual performance for the season. But not in the eyes of the judging panel (BTW shouldnt it be public knowledge as to who decides and the criteria that is used?).

Reply #56933 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Dusty would have got it if he brought down ten boards in the game against Perth (Dusty had 22 and 5).

Can't really rewqrd him for player of the week when the effort against Perth (whilst still good) was below season average for Dusty and resulted in a loss. One exceptional game and one average/below average game for a 1-1 record does not beat two very good games with 2-0 record in my books.

Ballinger is really the one who was dudded. That is a great stat line with two away wins. Would have been my choice.

Reply #56934 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

BTW love this quote from the nbl.com.au article - "Redhage, who is playing his second season in the Philips Championship, dominated his opposition"

If Redhage dominated than how would you describe Dusty's performance? :-)

Heres something else to think about;

Sixers vs Wildcats - Bailey was by far the best player (not just going by the stats here, word from those at the game Sixers couldnt stop his scoring and creating) 25pts (63%), 6 rebounds, 9 assists, 2 steals in 34 mins

Wildcats vs Bullets - this one I'm going by the stats but looks like PC played the best game for the Wildcats 27pts (63%), 11 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks and 3 steals in 41 mins

So in the Wildcats two games Redhage was consitent but not the best player of either game or for his team.

Dusty on the other hand obviously the best player vs Breakers and not far behind Farley in the game vs the Wildcats (although that was a loss).

Reply #56935 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I've written to the NBL to explain the criteria used to select POTW. If I get a reply, I will post it. I think it warranted it this time to check out how the selection is made. Dusty is a consistently good player week in and week out regardless of the Perth game not being one of his highlight games. To then play a game of 44 and 13 and the highest in the whole league so far this season, it seems criminal that he was deprived of the award. There are some good arguments on this thread but I am still not convinced.

Reply #56943 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Open your other eye EC! POTW is a glossy little award which sees its winner given a toothbrush or little stereo. I'm pretty sure that the words "criminal" and "deprived" are a bit much!

They've always favoured players with success over multiple games against favoured opposition. Harvey didn't get anything for his 39 point week, so there's your precedent.

Reply #56950 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

He was probably a good choice but i would have picked 'Good Ol Dusty'..... only coz im a sixers fan!!

Reply #56956 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

So the players winning POTW would jump up and down and say hooray, I've won a toothbrush instead of looking at it as acknowledgement of the best performance for the week. I don't think so Isaac. You can give away your petty little gift for winning the award, you can't give away the honour.

Reply #56958 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

We're not talking about the best performance of the week. It's about player of the week, and that includes everything about the week -- how they helped their team, how they performed, etc.

Dusty had an average game by his standards when we got drilled in Perth and then monstered a lowly team at home. We think he did brilliantly, but remember that every team has their ECs looking out for their own players.

Meanwhile, Redhage was strong and consistent as Perth won both games, both times against fancied opposition. Some have even put Dusty third behind Ballinger considering the Hawks won twice in QLD which isn't something Adelaide managed earlier this season.

Hopefully next week or the round after where we have two games he'll get it. Actually, I think Maher's due to hit some shots!

Reply #56966 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

yes i think ballinger was unlucky and dusty had a great game against breakers but for him to get POW above redhage is at least debatable considering his worse shooting percentage, less points less boards in perth game and wildcats had the tougher games. i'm OK with the outcome. On scoring each player's 2 games statistically Ballinger wins.

Reply #56970 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

That's a little unfair your comments about every team having their EC's looking out for their own players. I didn't need to look far, the numbers are on paper. The top score in the league so far this season, in a game where he did pull the team over the line considering the game Maher and Farley were having. What would have been your prediction on the outcome of the New Zealand game if Dusty was also having an off game. We only won it by 21. Take 21 away from his score and you are still left with an above average score for this player. If Mick Hill or any of the other "villains" to the Sixers had achieved this result, I would not hesitate to comment on how they deserved it. The result speaks for itself regardless of who's side you're on.

Reply #56971 | Report this post

flatshot  
Years ago

Statistical comparisons round 9
NBL fantasy
TOP 5 PLAYERS
Best Performances - Round: 9
Player (Team) Points
1. Ballinger (WOL) 130
2. Redhage (PER) 122
3. Rychart (ADE) 118
4. Thomas (MEL) 116
5. Bradtke (BRI) 112
NBL GM
Efficiency over the 2 games -
Ballinger 25 & 35
Dusty 15 & 42
Redhage 28 & 27

Reply #56979 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

As much as EC has good points and Isaac too, have to go for Rychart over Redhage on this one.

The stats say it all, no need to analyse 'team' performances etc.

Redhage - 25.5 points, 9.5 rebounds and 2.0 assists.
Rychart - 31.5 points, 9 rebounds and 3assists

As EC stated, is POTW not TOTW - should be irrespective of who won or not.

Reply #56996 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Yeh, what if a player averages 40 points 15 rebounds and 5 assists for a week and his team loses 2 games. Does he then not win it even though he cant really do any better? Those that said dusty had a bad game against perth, he still scored 20+ points. Any 20+ game can be considered a good one in this league.

Reply #57013 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

It is a subjective assessment. One look at this thread tells the tale.

I agree, if Dusty averaged 40ppg, 15 boards and 5 assists, he would be dudded not to get it even if the team lost both. But he didn't and that is the point.

Redhage and Ballinger have to be at least equaly likely to win as Dusty given their numbers against better teams.

But on your assessment (which is principly highest scoring) Harvey should have won it about four weeks running. But he hasn't got one yet, because the overall contribution to the success of the team was not there.

But as it is subjective, ten different people are always likely to have ten different opinions.

I just feel for Dusty as he was the only one dudded with the Toothbrush! Everyone else scored that little stereo thingy!

Reply #57047 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:17 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754