thedoctor
Years ago

Dominant Big Men

Just looking on nba.com at some stats and was surprised to find that the top 12 scoring players in the league are all SG's or SF's, with Dirk at 13 who is really just a tall SF.

Where has the dominant scoring big man gone ala Karl Malone, Barkley, Ewing, Robinson, Olajuwon, Kemp or even KG?

Has the NBA become a game of jumpshooters? Please say it isn't so!

Topic #5088 | Report this topic

MC  
Years ago

I'm surprised someone hasn't taken the chance to suggest Rees as a 'dominant big man' who never got his shot at the NBA

Reply #58491 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Different era doc, the names mentioned as 'old school' are all 'back'em down' types of players and played the traditional low post game.

Current NBA is all about mobile quick bigmen, aka Amare and Dirk and that they can if required step out an hit it from the car park. Every team is looking for the next Amare, and not the next Ewing, Dream, Admiral.

Yep, the NBA is changing and morphing into a jumpshooters league.

Reply #58492 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

and the NBA's Most Dominant Player is injured which leaves, umm... Yao and big ben.

Reply #58496 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Yao? Yao gets dominated by a breeze he is so skinny.

I really don't rate Yao - see how he copes without McGrady feeding him the ball for the next couple of weeks.

Reply #58501 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

getting tips before the big game there doc

Reply #58510 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Just commenting on a disappointing trend.

I don't need any tips Booga. My game is like your Mamma's underpants:

Full of tricks and sooooo fat.

Reply #58513 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I remember in the mid 90s....
Ewing, Dream, Mailman, Admiral, Zo, Shaq, Mutombo, Smits...DAMN!

skip to YK5
Big Ben, Yao, Shaq, Amare.

90s by a mile

Reply #58543 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Yeah, I don't know if it's so much that the game has changed, or that there simply isn't the same quality of big men out there.

You put guys like The Admiral, Kemp, Ewing etc in today's league (in their prime of course) and they will dominate.

Reply #58548 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Bizzy,

Yao has started this year well. He's much stronger and more assertive, (no more fade-aways). I have downloaded the Houston games via Bit-torrent however and the way that teams are defending Houston with T-Mac out is to basically double and triple team Yao. His team-mates right now except for Howard can't buy a shot and it's going to be hard for his to put up huge numbers until T-Mac comes back.

Still he opened the season with two games of over 20-10 and also had 7 blocks against New Orleans. If Ben Wallace produced those numbers everyone would be talking about how dominant he is but because Yao is 7-6 everyone is disapointed.

He is getting there. Slowly but surely.

Reply #58572 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Yao 24 points, 14 rebounds on 10-20 shooting today.

Dominant enough Bizzy?

Just makes it hard to win when your starting back-court shoots 7-26.

I'm sick of the Yao bashing. He's devloping as expected. 20ppg, 9.3rpg, 2apg, 4 blocks per game to start the year on a team with no outside threats outside Jon Barry actually playing to standard right now is good work.

Reply #58595 | Report this post

Fezlington  
Years ago

Im with Double Clutch on this one.....im sick of everyone bagging the shit out of Yao

Hell im a Lakers fan.....geez who would i have.....Yao or Chris Mihm

Dont be a fool Bizzy...Skinny my arse

Yao is 7'5" & 296lbs or 134kgs

Shaq is 7'1" & 325lbs or 147kgs

Now .....heres some guys Yaos hieght....Just compare em Bizzy before mouthin off

Shawn Bradley 7'6" & 275lbs or 124kgs

Manute Bol 7'7" & 220lbs

Gheorghe Muresan..7'7" & 303lbs

If anything.....i would say you could call Bradley & Bol skinny.....Yao has bulk...and is the next biggest player behind the Diesel

Reply #58608 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Exactly.

The Shanghai Shake is dope.

Reply #58614 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

Here is my theory

in the future eras the traditional low post big men well be restricted and phased out. The main cannons of the team will be the 6'11 sg/sf. i reckon the pf and C spots will become just like 6'9 beasts who just bang in the post and scrap around. they will barely be used offensively and just there for hard nosed D and boards.

with a tear in my eye as i write this the day of the dominant big man is nearly over. Lets appreciate the last of these relics that we have in the league

Reply #58688 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

tears commonly flow from your eyes undersized pf.

Reply #58713 | Report this post

undersized pf  
Years ago

im sorry cheezy if your love for the paint has gone after recieving a crusher elbow

Reply #58743 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:26 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754