Anonymous
Years ago

Aussies in US Colleges

Found this on Eurobasket.com:

Aussies in NCAA: preview -by Gauthier Gerard

Luke Schenscher, Andrew Bogut and Mark Worthington all left the US College to turn pro during the summer. But that doesn't mean there isn't any good Aussie players in the NCAA. Aaron Bruce, Alex Loughton, Matthew Knight and Daniel Kickert are ready to shine during the 2005/06. We will also discover a great freshman class led by kids like Ben Allen, Aaron Baynes or Ryan Kersten. You can read our weekly recap on every Tuesday, see you next week.

If you know a player that is missing in our list, please send email to [email protected]
Last season, Australia was a solid provider of talent in the US Colleges. Many aussies left school during the summer like of course Andrew Bogut, Luke Schenscher, Patrick Tunstead, Mark Worthington but also Luke Spencer Gardner, Cameron Tovey, Anthony Susnjara or Kieran Gleeson.
Like we did last year, we picked our 10 best players. We will keep an eye on them throughout the season. We would also discover many talented freshmen like Baynes, Allen, Kersten, Opacic, Friend, Boyce, Bathie, Deric, Wagstaff, Martin, Coenraad or Nevill. These guys will prove that Australia is one of the best country in the world when it comes to Youth Basketball.

Australiabasket.com's All-NCAA Team:
Aaron Bruce (191-G-84) Baylor Sophomore
Baylor won't play any non-conference game this year because of NCAA sanctions, but Bruce should have another terrific season. Last year he was the Big 12 Freshman of the Year. He will play his first game of the season on Nov 11th vs Texas Tech.
Alex Loughton (205-F/C-83) Old Dominion Senior
Alex Loughton was one the best player in the CAA last season, he should have a great senior year before turning pro. He's been called several times in the Boomers extended squad by Brian Goorjian.
Aleksandar Maric (210-C-84) Nebraska Sophomore
He showed some interresting things during his first season, he should become more consistent to become a starter in Nebraska. He's got the body, he's got the hands, he's got everything he needs to succeed.
Matthew Knight (201-F-85) LMU Junior
Knight entered at Loyola-Marymount like a storm and surprised everyone including his coach. This season will be important for him, he should fullfilled his potential and become LMU's go-to-guy.
Daniel Kickert (209-C-83) St Mary's Senior
Kickert is also close the national team and he's not very far from being a candidate to the NBA second round draft. He's almost perfect technically, he just have to get stronger during his senior season.
Ben Allen (208-C/F-86) Indiana Freshman
The next big thing from Down Under? That's what Indiana was thinking when they sign Ben Allen, one of the most coveted player of this freshman class. A lot of expectation but this kid is a real diamond, if he can handle the pressure he would be great.
Simon Conn (206-F/C) Gardner-Webb Senior
Conn made a tremendous postseason last year with Gardner-Webb, his coach wants him to play like that during his senior season. He's got a big body and has good hands.
Steve Leven (196-G-82) Wyoming Junior
Almost unknown two years ago, he made a name for himself with a great freshman season. Last year he suffers many injuries and wasn't very good. He have to be better this season.
Stefan Blaszczynski (198-G-84) Nicholls St Junior
Despite playing for a very small school, Blaszczynski managed to earn the spotlight last season with some dazzling games. He was the first player in the team history to ever record a triple-double.
Sam Harris (221-C-84) Old Dominion Sophomore
Harris saw limitted playing time as a freshman but his 220cm body is still very intriguing. He should have more playing time this season.

Other NCAA Division I players:
Seniors:
Cameron is the lone senior with Loughton, Kickert and Conn. He will be looking for a nice last season at Louisiana-Lafayette.
Christopher Cameron (210-F/C-82) Louisiana-Lafayette

Juniors:
A lot of talent in the junior class if we add Knight, Leven and Blaszczynski. We should expect a solid year from Martin and Janev. Martin Iti will red-shirt this season after he transfered from Charlotte to NMS.
Damian Martin (186-G-84) LMU
Blagoj Janev (204-F-84) New Hampshire
Nic Campbell (197-G/F-84) Irvine
Kye Patrick (206-C) Loyola-Chicago
Christopher Jackson (206-F-85) Portland
Martin Iti (213-C-83) New Mexico State

Sophomores:
Like Bruce, Maric and Harris, Dillon and Brophy will play their second season. Both made a promising freshman year, Dillon is a very intriguing prospect.
Daniel Dillon (191-G) Arizona
Kevin Brophy (186-G-85) Georgia

Freshmen:
The best freshman class from Down Under since Andrew Bogut and the 2003 class. Luke Nevill red-shirted last year in Utah, he will play his first season replacing Bogut. Tough job. A lot of great youngster there, we should hear about them in the coming weeks. We will keep an eye on Nicchols State where four australian freshmen will play with Blaszczynski.
Aaron Baynes (207-F/C-86) Washington State
Ryan Kersten (186-G-86) New Mexico
Alex Opacic (202-F-86) Furman
Dominic Friend (201-F) Nicholls State
Mitch Boyce (208-C) Nicholls State
Ryan Bathie (196-G) Nicholls State
Michael Czepil (188-G) Nicholls State
Luke Nevill (213-C-86) Utah
Tom Garlepp (202-F-86) UC Santa Barbara
Marko Deric (206-F) LMU

NCAA Division II:
Seniors:
Drew Williamson is one of the best defensive guard in the Division II, Dane Steinke's 210cm frame might worth a look.
Dean Brebner (201-F) Augusta State
Robert Aitken (202-F-83) SE Oklahoma
Drew Williamson (193-G-83) Metro State
Dane Steinke (210-C) Tusculum

Juniors:
Williams, Brennan and Isaacson were all solid contributor for their teams last season. Paget hasn't played much at NYIT.
Stephen Williams (183-G-83) Belmont-Abbey
Mitch Brennan (198-F/G-84) Mercyhurst College
P.J. Isaacson (197-G/F-84) South Connecticut State
Scott Paget (193-G-85) New York Tech

Sophomores:
We will keep an eye on MSU-Billings high-flying duo Carlin Hughes and Lucas Walker.
Luke Cooper (183-G-84) Alaska-Anchorage
Frank Conias (202-F) Nyack
Hayden Smith (200-F-85) Metro State
Alex Hayman (193-G) CSO Mines
Carlin Hughes (185-G) MSU-Billings
Lucas Walker (201-F) MSU Billings

Freshmen:
A lot of talent in the freshman class like we said earlier. Munday, Bass and Wagstaff should be able to contribute right away.
Daniel Munday (191-G-85) UW-Green Bay
Anrhony Separovitch (201-C) Bloomfield
Daniel Bass (198-G/F-87) Metro State
Jesse Wagstaff (203-F/C-86) Metro State
Troy Sandley (193-G) CSO Mines

NAIA:
Seniors:
Not much to expect from the australian senior in the NAIA, they just wanted to enjoy their last season.
Scott Cook (185-G) Lindsey-Wilson
David Moore (196-F/C) Dominican
Paul Hamilton (201-G/F-84) Cascade
Luke Henderson (194-G) San Diego Christian Heritage

Juniors:
Three great inside players with Labka, Gray and Nikolic.
John Fitzgerald (194-G/F-84) Lindsey-Wilson
Anthony Labka (207-C-84) Lindsey-Wilson
Marko Nikolic (201-F) Freed Hardeman
Rowan Gray (206-C-83) San Diego Christian Heritage
Liam Tribe-Simmons (186-G) San Diego Christian Heritage

Sophomores:
Tim Labka and Lloyd Lewis are part of the 5-aussie gang at Lindsey-Wilson. Nitsios should be a very intriguing 197cm point-guard for Nova SE.
Tim Labka (196-G/F) Lindsey-Wilson
Lloyd Lewis (198-F/G-85) Lindsey-Wilson
Oresti Nitsios (197-G-86) Nova SE

Freshmen:
Wow, four australian freshmen at Nova SE, and four great ones. They were all very impressive in the Australian U20&U18 Nationals.
Rhys Martin (187-G-86) Nova SE
Tim Coenraad (201-G/F-85) Nova SE
Josh Wood (200-F) Nova SE
David Naylor (204-C) Nova SE

Junior & Community College:
It's hard to tell how many australian are playing in the Junior Colleges, we found 6 of them including Ric Marczenko who was really good in the U20 Nationals.
Adam Tanner (205-F/C-85) Seward County CC
Ric Marczenko (196-G-85) Lincoln Land CC
Zarryon Fereti (194-G-84) Southern Idaho JC
Tariq Naqqash (186-G) Los Medanos JC
Nick Rivera (172-G) Nebraska CC
Todd Spehr (180-G) Lamar CC

Topic #5096 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Sam Harris 221cm? Strewth Phil - get this guy's number quick!!

Looking at all the names, you have to wonder if Bogut was right. The NBL is second-rate to NCAA in terms of developing young players (or at least, they seem to be voting with their feet!).

Reply #58585 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Where else would they go not much room in the NBL I'm sure the NBL would be a great result for most of those guys on what is a very long list. Getting an education and seeing the other side of the world is a great option. Doesnt make it the best option for everyone.

Reply #58605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ryan Thompson, senior at UCONN. Athletic wingman from QLD. Getting a few more minutes each year. Solid off the bench. Redshirt when UCONN won it all two years ago. Quality player who rarely gets a mention.

Reply #58618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam Harris is also dating an Adelaide Girl. Who used to be a basketball player herself.

Reply #58635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

221?? is that like 7 foot 3?

Reply #58638 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

By my calculator it's 7 foot 3 and a helluva lot taller than any current 36er!

Reply #58646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He trained with sturt a year ago when he was in adelaide with the girl friend. He was dunking on everybody. Oscar looked like a midget

Reply #58659 | Report this post

Gee funk  
Years ago

View this tread, has a rather large list. Some I have never heard of.

http://www.andrewbogut.com.au/forums/index.php?showtopic=438

Reply #58674 | Report this post

VicChick  
Years ago

What about the Women currently in US Colleges? Anyone have a list?

Reply #67148 | Report this post

Anonymous212  
Years ago

Umm... I dunno where on this site I read it.. but I also heard it through a friend.. Micth Boyce playing in the NBA... Um... I haven't seen Mitch play in the last 2-3 years... but unless he's improved DRAMATICALLY!!! I can't possibly beleive he'd play in the NBA... I used to play juniors with this guy and whilst he's definately got the arrogance (not trying to trash him.. just pointing this out)to be a pro.. he definately cannot have gained the athleticism or co-ordination to be a pro... At the time Mitch was around 6'8" playing against less than average 6'4" big men who were built more like rugby players and he struggled... Boyce is a classic example of 'you can't teach height'.. Mitch can shoot a little.. I have to give him that.. but again.. when u're 6'8"+ playing against people 4-5 inches shorter than you and you have a little bit of touch.. who can't shoot? I'm 5'9" and I had no trouble boxing him out.. breaking his ankles.. and I quit playing at a sub-par competitive level coz I was too short and too slow by 'the next levels' standards.. the next level probably being div 2 NCAA... ok.. so I'm not very good... I've heard rumours Washington Wizards are interested in him... clearly I need to see him play before this insite is clear... but i'm lost that some people are considering this kid a pro... however... the more aussies playing pro ball the better! good luck mitch!

Reply #133805 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:12 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754