Bo Hamburger
Years ago

instant replay

Does instant replay have a bigger place in basketball? Sports like tennis and cricket are increasingly relying on it, and I can think of a few areas where it could be useful in basketball (in addition to the did-he-get-the-shot-off-in-time? replay already in use in the NBA):

- block or goaltend?
- blocking foul vs charge foul?
- travels (ie travels that are called but the whistled team/player is aggrieved, often giving his own instant replay of the alleged violation to the ref there and then about how there was no WAY I could have travelled, I kept my pivot foot grounded like this, see? etc etc etc)
- A dunk by Brett Maher in a game (ie to see if it actually occurred and wasn't a figment of the collective imagination of some 5000 people)

So it doesn't take up too much time, I think you'd institute an NFL-like challenge system, where a coach gets say two challenges a half but it costs them a timeout if they're wrong.

Topic #5134 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeah i agree!! coz most dunks and shit and good stuff need to be replayed or else it doesnt really seem like a big sport... i agree with ya mate

Reply #58840 | Report this post

MC  
Years ago

But for querying ref's calls I don't think it's a good idea. I have seen the instant reply in effect in the NBA and in those circumstances I can deal with it but in NO way should that be extended to every call.

Reply #58841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Games like NFL, are always starting and stopping, basketball should be action packed and free-flowing, but I agree with replaying dunks and good plays, we should use technology to our advantage but it shouldn't bring the quality of the game down.

Reply #58861 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Bad idea, only for buzzer beating situations should it be used. Who decides whether its a charging or blocking foul? its down to debate...plus they'll be paying a "4th umpire"

Reply #58877 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

No, I agree with the post above refering to the 4th umpire would only cause more bullshit and they will get lambasted even more so!

Reply #58892 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

it would take away all the fun of ripping a ref when in our opinion they get it wrong

Reply #59011 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:56 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754