TR
Years ago

Does the NBL really care about the sport???

I've been having these thoughts for a while now, and does the NBL really give a damn about the sport of basketball in Australia.

In recent times has the NBL really done anything to try and win back the fans that were supporting the game in its glory days of the early-mid 1990's.

Is there FTA television... no... and is there any hope in the near (or distance) future that suggest that this could change.

Ok has that FOX deal that includes those dumb Wednesday night games been of any benefit to the league. Not that I can see. In my opinion it seems to have the league in a bit of a strangle hold.

Australian basketball's bright spark (Bogut) has openly talked about WHY the Australian league suffers and there is little support of the sport. Does anyone in the NBL actually care that someone who could actually promote the league wants to help out.

It's also about the little things, a decent website, live scoreboard that actually works, communicating with fans, promotion of our game. Compare the AFL website to the NBL site. No contest....

There are other options bar television. If clubs like the Tigers can provide the community with a net based live feed of home games, then why can't the NBL for each and every game?? Radio is an cheap resource, look at the popularity of Talking Hoops. That should be enough of an indication that radio works.

Has the NBL come up with any new idea's to attract (a) new sponsors and (b) spectators??? Not to my knowledge.

Maybe the NBL needs to employ the Wildcats marketing team. They seem to do a pretty good job.

Isaac has hundreds of times posted about the simple things that could be done, but I now think that it's almost past the club level and it's now time for the NBL to pull it collective finger out and actually support the clubs that play in the NBL.

What strategies has Rick Burton implemented to assist in the growth of basketball??? Have a look at the NBL committee, my god is there anyone under the age of 50 on the board that still has a pulse????

I see that Radio 2 in an offical sponsor of the NBL. Can't say I've ever heard of them...

POTW prize... a damn electric toothbrush. C'mon guys, that just doesn't cut it for an apparent 'professional' league.

In my opinion, the NBL over time has be going backwards, not forwards like every other 'professional' league in Australia. The A-League is strong and will only get stronger with the Socceroos, AFL and NRL will always whip basketball as far as exposure and bums on seats. The NBL use to be ranked as a great league across the world, at the moment it is just rank and that's not the fault of the players or the clubs, it rests on the shoulders of the NBL management, and what are they doing about it??? SFA

Topic #5203 | Report this topic

Thomo  
Years ago

Here Here, agree totally with what you said TR bout time someone else pointed out the fact thats its not only the fault of the club, clubs are held to a strangle hold by the nbl board, things like fta , website are valid points,

i know it wont do much but TR email this to the NBL and i sugges every supporter copys and paste it into a email and send it as well, assuming TR doesnt mind, it may do nothing but it may

one of the better critical post ive read in a long time and one that makes complete sense - a no brainer

Cheers

Reply #59626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i agreee, everyone should do it.

The NBL is not marketing anything enough. Think of teams who have gone poor in the past ten years, its ridulous...

North melbourne Giants
St.Kilda Saints
Magic
Cannons
Vic Giants
Vic Titans
Newcastle
Geelong
Hunter (had to be sold to another company)
Some joined together and all but this is stupid...

NBL has got to help them...

Maybe actually TRY to advertise something and stop favouring Sydney and other eastern teams.

Reply #59665 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:08 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754