kb
Years ago

LAST NIGHT'S PICK-UP / WAYVILLE

wood up, ballers? last night we ventured into the unknown.....a foreign place to most auzzie ballers..........4 on 4 and 5 on 5 full court pick-up action. that's right slackers, you heard me, i wouldn't lie to ya, at least not today, i'm in a good mood. we didn't exactly start on time however, 'cause some nuff-nuff, i won't call any names, forgot his gym-shoes. how does one forget his kicks, that equivalent to taking a number "2" and forgeting to wipe!!! ANYWAY, the games were competitive,fun & necessary. damn some of these guys are out of shape and need the extra fitness. i wont' call any names,zane, but they know who they are. who showed up? can't tell ya, you just had to be there! as for those of you who are inquiring, "WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL ABOUT PICK-UP BASKETBALL"?well, actually, there's no big deal........it's simply basketball at it's purest form. it can only assist one in developing good instincts that are crucial for acquiring the all important, "KNOWLEDGE & UNDERSTANDING OF THE GAME". for example, do the sixers play structured ball or pick-up with a little structure? which is easier/harder to defend? more entertaining? more fun to play? has any of you seen, "THE MATRIX". many of you out there represent the "AGENTS" and a few of us represent "NEO". DO YOU... UNDERSTAND THE GAME? POWER TO THE PICK-UP!!!

Topic #5205 | Report this topic

Tex Winters  
Years ago

Hey KB,

Pick-up ball is good but structured ball will beat "jungle ball" anyday. If you don't believe me pull out some Bulls games of the early 90's.

Power to the Triangle

Ball movement + Patience = Easy Baskets

1 pass + 1 shot = Pissed off team mates

Reply #59843 | Report this post

kb  
Years ago

who said that pick-up basketball is better than structured basketball? who said that pick-up basketball consists of making 1 pass and taking the 1st shot? ya know, it never seems to amaze me at the comments being posted since i introduced "sunday pick-up games". WHAT ARE YOU GUYS AFRAID OF??? this is how i prefer to get MY exercise....and obviously a few other people. I'M NOT ABOUT TO PAY $9.50 TO PLAY BASKETBALL.....ya feel me!!! if you're happy with that, than more power to ya dude. but tex, let me ask you this, "could it be possible that 1 pass + 1 shot = pissed off teammates in the triangle, motion, flex, shuffle and/or any and all other offenses also? the triangle is a good offense.........but only if you have the RIGHT personnel to execute it properly. the offense doesn't win games by itself and it isn't for every team (hint). e.g., there's a team in the nbl who ran it against the sixers a few weeks ago and they didn't do a good job of it. maybe they weren't patient enough, or maybe they don't have the right players to run such a complicated offense. FURTHERMORE, (F.Y.I.), we (da wood) won the 2005 ABL CHAMPIONSHIP by running the flex offense, not by playing pick-up! POWER TO KNOWLEDGE AND UNDERSTANDING OF THE GAME!

Reply #59852 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Hey KB,

Are you still looking at only ABL/Ex NBL players to come out too the pick up games?

Reply #59853 | Report this post

kb  
Years ago

nope, non-abl/nbl players are more than welcomed to come out and play if: you've got game & you sign the waivers. if you're under the age of 18 than your parents must sign for you. that's the way it has to be to protect both the wayville sports center and myself. i look forward to shaking you up. POWER TO THE PICK-UP!

Reply #60101 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Nice - I'll catch you sunday night KB - maybe see you out the back at the Sixers on saturday.

Reply #60104 | Report this post

backpedling??  
Years ago

"Only: Former NBL, Former and Current ABA and some NBL/ABA calibre players. All players must sign waivers"

YO JUST REMEMBER DUDES, THESE PICK-UP GAMES ARE NOT FOR EVERYBODY. PRO PLAYERS AND PLAYERS WITH PRO CALIBER ONLY. I RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SAY, "YES OR NO" TO ANYONE...... WHICH MEANS THAT IF YOU COME OVER, THINK YOU GOT MAD GAME, BUT IN ACTUALITY, YOU SUCK. THAN YOU CAN WORK THE SCOREBOARD. FOR GUYS I DON'T KNOW, YOU MUST HAVE SOMEONE THAT I DO KNOW WHO CAN VOUCH FOR YOU AND YOUR GAME. PEACE OUT.

GOD___FAMILY___DA WOOD

Reply #60126 | Report this post

Simon K  
Years ago

Pick up ball is a good way of player if it is done with a reasonable standard of player and doesn't turn into junk ball. Junk ball with duds who hack a Shaq and just play no D is a friggin joke and should be left on the primary school playground.

The triangle offence worked simply because Jordan and Pippen dominated the offence, Longley and Rodman knew what role to play and Kerr/BJ/Harper also understood that if they hit the open shot they would become very wealthy. The triangle didn't work for the Bulls with 'Pink' Floyd and the bulls after Jordan and Pippen left, as the player didn't understand of the principals of motion and team work; plus they pretty much sucked as NBA players. They had the 3 musketeers principal (all four one and one for all) and motion or triangle offence will never work with that structure.

Reply #60130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks for that Tex Winter

Reply #60133 | Report this post

Simon K  
Years ago

your point smart arse

Reply #60134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your point Simon, you want to run the triangle in the pickup games?

Reply #60159 | Report this post

Simon K  
Years ago

No I just explaining the principals behind it and why it worked for the bulls championship sides and it hasn't for others.

Reply #60182 | Report this post

kb  
Years ago

let's get ready to........RRUUUMMMMBBBBBLLLLLLEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Reply #60643 | Report this post

Pete Carrill  
Years ago

What about trying some Princeton principles. Dribble backcuts, hand of's and long offences. Flares for 3 and action of the post.

The good thing about pick up is that there isn't any shot clock. We could go back to when there was a 45 second clock and grind out wins every week.

Reply #60670 | Report this post

kb  
Years ago

yo, "backpeddling", GET A LIFE!!! it's obvious that you haven't figured out that the title, "ONLY FORMER NBL/FORMER & CURRENT ABA AND SOME NBL/ABA CALIBER PLAYERS", is a simple way of "weeding out", the guys with good intentions, a genuine love for the game, but who just can't compete on this level. POWER TO GOOD OLD-FASHIONED COMMON SENSE!!!

Reply #61098 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:53 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754