David Spear
Years ago

Funny Attention All Sixers/BASA people!

Talking Hoops radio show proudly announces the biggest show of its short life!

With Belly in the USA, Host David Spear will take time out to look at the pros and cons of a Sixers sale to private ownership.

In the studio will be some of the biggest and most influential names in the game today.

New BASA CEO Mike Daws, Sturt President Mark Calligeros and former NBL CEO Peter Ali will all be there to discuss & debate the future of basketball in this state!

Guests Include Lindsay Gaze, former GM of the VBA & also involved in private ownership, Boti Nagy and more.

Get involved as the lines will be open for calls so dont miss this opportunity to call in and ask a question of any of these guests!!

Or post one here if you can't!

8371 1000

Coast FM next tuesday night 29th 6.30pm to 8.00pm

Topic #5237 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were other Club presidents invited to attend? Why is Sturt's the only opinion that seems to matter in this State, and dont give the usual crap about player numbers, ladder positions and wealth. The sport at a Junior/Local level is bigger than one Club.

I hope Mark will be wearing his helmet and cape though!

Reply #59863 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Damn, right in the middle of the AND 1 game.

Someone has to tape this.

Reply #59866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get it right, Mesecke wears the helmet and cape. Calligeros wears the dark robe with the hood down to eye level and his rider will include appropriate mood lighting (dark with a faint red glow).

Seriously, Mark is probably there because he is one of the longest serving club presidents and as a corporate lawyer, he can talk about this issue from both the basketball and business presepctives.

Reply #59876 | Report this post

my 2 cents worth  
Years ago

SELL

You need money to make a business successful and BASA just don't have it. As long as the new owners have the money, then it is a no brainer.

As long as BASA walk away from this debt free and can run the local comp like they were started for, then everyone will win.

Reply #59881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

longest serving club president's how long has he been Sturt's president?

Reply #59923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5 years I think. He is certainly one of the longest serving presidents as there have been many changes over the past few years. Jenny Clarke I am guessing is by far the longest serving. I can't even remember when she wasn't Norwood's President.

Reply #59924 | Report this post

Farviewer  
Years ago

An all male panel! How quaint!! As usual, seems a woman's place is in the home cooking, or car taking the kids somewhere, but not at the corporate desk, and definitely not in BASA's earshot.

Why not also invite Jenny?

Reply #59929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

she would be out of her depth.

Reply #59931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt being involved and thinking that they run everything gives me an excuse NOT to listen. They are so full of themselves.

Reply #59933 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not Di Campbell. She refused to comment on BASA-related issues after being listed on an official press release as 'available for comment'.

I'm sure that if anyone else expressed an interest in participating, they could call up on the night at the very least.

Anon, so you're not listening because someone from Sturt was invited to get involved in the show for a particular topic. What should Mark have done? Refuse to put forth his opinion? Don't be ridiculous.

Reply #59936 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I agree, the timing is not very good with the And1 games at the same time and also the Sixers will be away. It would have been good for them to listen in as well. I know Brett mentioned on Talking Hoops last night that he is going to try and find somewhere to listen in.

Reply #59938 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jenny Clarke has been President of Norwood for at least 12 years

John Marshman - Woodville has been president since 1997 which is than 5 years

why not invite them too

or is it the colour of the uniforms

now John in an accountant
so i guess his profession isn't good enough either....oh i get it he comes from a so called weaker club.

Reply #59940 | Report this post

my 2 cents worth  
Years ago

Isn't Belly home on Monday?

Reply #59941 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Paul Bell and Mark Calligeros are friends which probably explains why he's up there. If another club president wants to participate, get them to call up.

Give up on the whining. As an outsider to local basketball, it's really boring and pathetic to watch.

Reply #59942 | Report this post

Low Post  
Years ago

I'll definitely be listening - to whoever is talking!

Please ask Mark if he can explain why Forestville and Sturt feel the need to run their own private competition (City South). No one else seems willing to discuss the issue and it seems a complete waste of time and effort.

Presumably Mr Daws is responsible for the $9 fee to play social basketball which has been introduced in the last 2 weeks. This will surely limit participation - certainly enjoyment of the great game.

I hope the 'temporary' host can handle the pressure!..

Reply #59953 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The organisers of City South have posted a lot about why they're doing it on this forum in the past. Start a topic about it and I have no doubt that they will respond in detail.

From what I've heard, they've tried to get a city-wide domestic competition running in the past but have had no luck with BASA, so they co-operated to get it running themselves. Again, from what I've heard, they're quite eager to see other clubs running similar competitions themselves.

I believe that City South makes a profit/pays for itself/whatever, so surely that means it's not a waste of effort?

I've been nothing but impressed with them and their passion for what they're trying to achieve.

Reply #59954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Low Post,

Any club is welcome to put teams into the City South Competition. 1 team or 10 teams.

The reason for the City South or other such competitions is to increase the ability for basketball too expand.

Currently it is difficult to resource more teams. Local comestic comeptition which do not clash with other sports is the locical way too go.

Also due to it being at a local venue and run by clubs means that, the travel time is decreased for families, costs are kept down for players with $0 entry fee for spectators and the standard of each team can be taken into account when issuing a program.

Once again you show the biggest issue in basketball in this state is the jealousy felt by some people against those who are willing to do what's best for basketball in SA. The results speak for themselves.

Reply #59971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why don't you ever put your name on your posts, Mesecke? They might have more cred.

Reply #59990 | Report this post

Low Post  
Years ago

If the invitation is open to all, why have no other clubs 'seen the light' ?

A competition involving only 2 clubs where the results (as far as I have seen)are so lopsided is of benefit to no-one, except maybe the umpires who are at least getting some game experience.

City South will NEVER be better than a training session in my view - certainly not in the current format.

As far as justifying the competition because it covers costs, I think that misses the point.

I'll start a topic to guage feeling.

Reply #60136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is all very well and good but let's get back to the original topic. How did it start at selling/retaining the 36ers and end up at a fledgling Domestic competition anyway!

Can't we have a topic which doesn't degenerate into a club sledge off or a pissing contest!

Reply #60137 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Low Post

That fee rise was approved by Ron Green not Mike Dawes.

That fee has been in place for longer than 2 weeks much discussion about it weeks ago in previous posts.

Reply #60138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't hate the club (sturt), hate the game.

Reply #62209 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:31 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754