Chump
Years ago

Most Improved Team Next Year

Which ABL Mens & Womens Team will be the most Improved next year? I think the competition will be even closer than it was this year if the salary cap is strictly enforced.

Topic #527 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be the same teams in the finals as last season.

Maybe Eagles will make it.

West, South, Centrals etc will continue to struggle.

Reply #4744 | Report this post

Genna  
Years ago

Centrals (men).... watch out 4 em! Got a few players and should be a good team on the floor this year!

Reply #4748 | Report this post

Harold  
Years ago

West will be a new look team next year

Reply #4794 | Report this post

x-factor  
Years ago

I'd say going from 6th to first is a pretty big improvement.

Reply #4812 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

Genna
Who are Centrals getting??

Reply #4935 | Report this post

Genna  
Years ago

Kingman - cannot name everyone on here right now, as some people from the club dont even know yet...

Reply #5077 | Report this post

Mr. Assist  
Years ago

Get your head out the sand Genna

Reply #5080 | Report this post

unbelievable  
Years ago

Don't care too much about the Sturty Sixers myself but they finished 3rd? at the end of the minor round with Forman (20), Shepherd (20ish but looks 12), Benson (19), Hakendorf (21), Vaughan (19) as part of their rotation. Fairly impressive????

Reply #5083 | Report this post

slam dunk  
Years ago

mavs are gonna be even better next season

Reply #5148 | Report this post

harold  
Years ago

how will the mavs be a better team when their franchise player is going to europe

Reply #5285 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

southern tigers gets my vote

Reply #5298 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Hey Harold, I was of the understanding Mavs had a side consisting of 12 players.......

Reply #5315 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If Holmes left, I think it would be fair to say that the Mavericks would struggle to maintain a championship season. You're not losing a 20PPG name, you'd be losing a 30PPG + 15-20RPG MVP and I don't think the current roster could step up to fill that.

Eastern have had Rees and Mottram in the past, but Forestville seem to have their sights on Mottram, and Rees could go anywhere.

I think that Harold's question is a fair one. Do Eastern expect Holmes to return next season? If not, do they expect the roster to improve or for other players to come into the side?

Reply #5319 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Valid point isaac, but like i said there are 11 other members of the squad and let's just wait and see what happens instead of speculating what may happen? I think there are players within Mavs that their best is yet to come.

Reply #5322 | Report this post

x-factor  
Years ago

Swish, if we sat back to wait and see what happens, then we would have nothing to talk about. Its fair to say if you took Holmes out of this years team they would have been a bottom 3 side, so they are going to have to do some major recruiting next year if holmes is to leave. If you think otherwise then I'm sorry but you are kidding yourself.

Reply #5346 | Report this post

Dog Nuts  
Years ago

Unbelievable i think you'll find that forman is actually 22.

Reply #6728 | Report this post

kernahan  
Years ago

South will be the big improvers next year on the back of matt davies, back from injury. will take south back to the finals.

Reply #8789 | Report this post

stevo  
Years ago

Matt davies comin bak from injury is omething you should watch out for. He will take south to the finals next season for sure.

Reply #8790 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

whats Matt Davies ever done at ABL level he will be a solid back up but hardly carrying the team

Reply #8897 | Report this post

kernahan  
Years ago

hoopin, go watch south games this year and find out mate

Reply #8998 | Report this post

scribe  
Years ago

Hoopin this guy won about 5 mvps during juniors and woz a gun when healthy.In all fairness,he has been injured for a season and a half and by all reports he is lookin very strong at training! Oh yeah is still only 20!!!!!

Reply #8999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North.

About half of there team is under 21.

Reply #9000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the very least South's crowds will be bigger with all of Matt's mates showing up.

Reply #9001 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Matty's tearing it up at training's, one of the better outside shooters. If he's still playing Juniors

Reply #9082 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

Scribe tell me what year levels Matt won MVP's because I think you will find he got a couple of runner upsand maybe an MVP for u/12s and u/14s but none since. I know Matt and use to play with him but I think you will find Matt always had a lot of potential but yet to capitalise on it. And when you compare him to some of the other young players around the league from North, Woodville, Norwood, Forrestville Matt has got alot of work to do to size up to these players. ABL players in the same age group as Matt- Brenton Campbell (Forrestville), Jacob Holmes(Eastern), Jarrod Graves(Woodville), Darren Ng(woodville), Mark Fuller(Woodville, Mason (Eastern), Ziggy (North)

Reply #9203 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Matt was unfortunate to be a Dec 31st boy. Had he been one day younger, his junior career may have been a little more decorated!

Still a quality player & hopefully he's recovered from his injuries & contributes at ABL level.

Reply #9205 | Report this post

kernahan  
Years ago

hoopin thats harsh pal

havin played with matt u should know he's pretty much never had a injury free year.

the question is not whether he can mix it with all those u mentioned (we all know he can flat out play) but whether he can stay on the court.

TOUCH WOOD

Reply #9294 | Report this post

scribe  
Years ago

Hoopin the players you have named and are quality players,but to say he has a lot of work to catch up on i think is not a fair statement.Ive personally seen Matt take it up to D.Ng on a number of times.The rest he can go with no problems.He just cant stay healthy!!!I know he has done everything he can to be right this season and can really show that he can play.Im not 100% sure but i think it was 4 mvp awards and 2 runner ups.MD good luck mate:)

Reply #9371 | Report this post

Hoopin  
Years ago

Scribe, Kernahan its not like I don't like the guy. But an honest and unbias assessment says Matt is not as good as the above mentioned players. This doesn't mean Matt is a bad player but the wraps you put on him are unfounded.To be put in the same class as the above mentioned players you have to put some runs on the board. P.S. I can catagorically tell you Matt did not earn 4 MVP's in juniors

Reply #9577 | Report this post

Scribe  
Years ago

Mate ive seen them!

Reply #9603 | Report this post

pole position  
Years ago

:) give me the age group, division and the years of his trophies

Reply #9607 | Report this post

Who cares how may MVP trophies he won in juniors. He never made a State team and his team never won anything. What exactly has he done that willmean that he can make his ABA team beter.

Reply #9673 | Report this post

kernahan  
Years ago

Commendant Lassard

it doesn't matter what he has done.....

next season matt davies is sure to stamp himself as one of the best young guards in the state.

sutton, webber, gerlach all decent guards but who have been given a wealth of opportunity.

baring injury and a coach that is willing to play the young talent, unlike those in the past (see kubank), it is time for matt davies display his talent on the court.

Reply #9862 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I think Matt is a notch below a lot of the guards that have been mentioned above. Sutton, Webber & Gerlach are all a class above Matt Davies, in my opinion, as are most (if not all) of the guys mentioned in Hoopin's post. All of those guys have been on state teams, in the case of the '83s, they made the teams ahead of Matt.

Having said that, good luck to the kid, and hopefully he'll finally have an injury free year so we can see exactly what he can do.

Reply #9864 | Report this post

dirty sanchez  
Years ago

hoop addict

dont make me laugh

sutton, webber & gerlach a class above matt davies!!!

your kiddin yaself

get a clue mate

Reply #10123 | Report this post

tsubi  
Years ago

kernahan, do you honestly think that Matt is going to get a sh*t load of time coming of the bench for the guy who has led the league in assists the last 3 years? Manning wont play your boy that much!

Reply #10136 | Report this post

hawkeye  
Years ago

who is matt davies?

Reply #10266 | Report this post

hOOPIN  
Years ago

exactly

Reply #10348 | Report this post

Years ago

Southern will go well in the Womens abl this year with a new coach and all and a fair few good cubs!!!
And then men will still go good hopefully better than last year!!!

Reply #10446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gerlach would kill Davies in a game of one on one.

Reply #13006 | Report this post

Lenny Fontana  
Years ago

haha

anonymous, u say u play for south

you should know better

when did u play

u ever play with matt???

Reply #13145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Once again... Who is Matt Davies... and who cares.

Reply #13146 | Report this post

Rite  
Years ago

I am afraid to say it but Gerlach would skool Davies. Gerlach has an must better game all over the floor. Maybe Davies would win if Gerlach had a broken leg...

Reply #13147 | Report this post

cwebb  
Years ago

gotta agree Gerlach is a sweet player an i dont even know who davies is so my money is on Gerlach cos if davies was any good surely I would have heard of him?

Reply #15578 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul Rogers is coming back to North

Reply #15794 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

paul rogers is a never has been.

Reply #15860 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

has rogers bailed out of another contract, or has he just been sacked?

Reply #15870 | Report this post

post d  
Years ago

hey Anonymous where is your info regarding Rogers return coming from.

Reply #16114 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Rogers will dominate if healthy. North for the championship if the rumour is true...

But most likely scenario is - Rogers dominates early part of season, averaging 30 and 20. After round 10, declares himself unfit due to major injury, like a blister...or a paper cut..

Reply #16195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rogers came back 2 yrs ago and played. Last year he came back and did not play because he came back late and thought it was not in the best interests of the team. he will dominate too big too strong

Reply #16463 | Report this post

Joeybones  
Years ago

Eagles

Reply #29434 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:21 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754