unknown
Years ago

Best basketball stadium

There are alot of good stadiums in Adelaide. If I was to pick the top 5 it would be:

1 The Dome
2 Waywille
3 Starpex
4 Marden
5 Pasadeana

Topic #541 | Report this topic

what the  
Years ago

1 dome
2 starplex
3 wayville
4 pasadena
5 marden
6 mt barker
7 morphett vale
8 port
9 marion & hillcrest tie

I would slot Underdale in at equal 5, st clair equal 8, ingle farm equal 6 (air cond), noarlunga lesuire equal 5

Reply #4887 | Report this post

Genna  
Years ago

top 5:
1. the Dome
2. Starplex
3. Pasadena/Wayville
4. Marden
5. Morphett Vale

Reply #4891 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

The Plex wins hands down in my opinion.

Reply #4896 | Report this post

Genna  
Years ago

Jirachi, how are the rings the "WORST in Adelaide"??

Reply #4904 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

I agree RE: Starplex.

1 - Wayville
2 - Dome (although terrible for use of 3 courts)
3 - Starplex
4 - Pasadena

Daylight

5 - MV
6 - Mars
7 - Mt Barker

Daylight

8 - Port

Daylight

=9th - Marion & Hillcrest

Reply #4931 | Report this post

saw  
Years ago

I would put Port down with Marion/Hillcrest. Poor surfaces and poor lighting.

Reply #4934 | Report this post

pene pee pee  
Years ago

Jirachi, make up your mind, "their too hard and bouncy" WTF? what are they - too hard, or too bouncy?

perhaps you should practice shooting a bit more?

DECENT shooters tear up at the starplex, which is definitely the best courts in town behind the clipsal. In fact DECENT shooters can tear up anywhere, and they certainly dont blame the "too hard and bouncy rings"

And as for centrals needing all the help they can get, they need to help themselves, because the "too hard and bouncy rings aint helping them at all."

And also, what player ever complains about how the GRANDSTAND seats are uncomfortable to sit in?

Reply #4940 | Report this post

Rdogg  
Years ago

For anyone who says the starplex has crap rings... you just gotta learn to shoot bro. Too bouncy? Dont get the rolls?? Stop whining!!Starplex rings are easily the best quality in SA. P.S i dont play for centrals!

Reply #4942 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Seriously Jirachi, with all due respect, you seem to offer so many assesments and opinions but nothing or nobody is perfect (other than it seems your good self :)).

You knock the Plex but dont offer up anything better. Sure it may not be perfect but its the most professional, clean and best facilities bar none.

The court is exactly like any court I have ever ventured onto in the country (bar the old cement one at Elizabeth and those rubber ones), so I dont know what your on about there??

The rings have been covered but all good quality rings are bouncy, just like the dome.

Seating is the same as any other local basketball stadium.

And as for the air conditioning at least it is available, at the Plex, very handy in summer.

So Mr Perfect I think you are rolled and tolled on this champ.

Reply #4944 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

Agree with the above, just to add what other facility has a gym, heated pool (and I hear they are building a 50m pool next to the 25m one already there) physio, child care centre all at one complex.

Reply #4950 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

Seating is the same as any other stadium - are u serious!? Looks like they forgot to finish them not too mention questionable to sit on. Agreed with the facilities starplex have, but definately seems like the basketball side of it was on the bottom of the budget.

Reply #4963 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

Jirachi
So the answer is no other venue!!!

Isn't there a pool in the building next to MARS maybe Norwood can do recovery sessions in there.

Reply #4971 | Report this post

Three Seconds  
Years ago

If we are just talking venues for playing and watching basketball overall Wayville has to be the best. Three courts with seating all courts have glass backboards four change rooms central location plenty of parking available on most occasions bar and canteen are great although veiwing area could be better from the bar. Wayville has shown that it can stage big games (WNBL) and national championships better than any other stadium.

Reply #4973 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

i had the dome first cuase its the bigest and most dun up but what it lacks is noise. when i go to play there there is no momentom intencity and some times i get board. as for waywille its alot noiser and funner to play at. but what that lacks is carparks. nothing ealse

Reply #4978 | Report this post

Three Seconds  
Years ago

The trouble with the Dome is three courts are being used there is no decent room for spectators as for car parking if something is on at the Showgrounds you can always park in the parklands and walk. I think we all expect to park right out the front of any venue but when you compare Wayville's carpark against other venues (the Dome most of the time is all locked up) I think it is way in front of the other venues car parking facilities.

Reply #4981 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

Agree with everything you've said 'three seconds'. I have to disagree with the car parking though. When theres a WNBL game on at the same time an event is on at the showgrounds its hectic. There's usually a lot of problems.

Reply #4992 | Report this post

Three Seconds  
Years ago

Again all you have to do Alf is park in the parklands near corner of Anzac Highway & Greenhill Road and walk 150 metres down Cooke Street to sytadium door avoids all the hassles everytime.

Reply #5000 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

good point but what if you have a wheel chair. not very exseible

Reply #5004 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

Unfortunately people get VERY hostile about that, believe me. Perhaps, your right people shouldn't expect to park right outside the door but they do.

Reply #5006 | Report this post

A 2 Z  
Years ago

All good basketballers can shoot on any ring and play on any court. But if i had to pick i'd say The Dome and Starplex are the most enjoyable courts 2 play on. When it comes to air con being on in a stadium and your actually playing it's a life saver, beats playing in 1 of our many tin sheds!

By the way Mars is over rated.

Reply #5018 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Quotes Jirachi "I guess being so openly honest can be taken the wrong way."

I guess I can look forward you to laying off me now??? :)

Reply #5053 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

(Jirachi is right, the rings suck).

I think Pasadena Crt 1 is the best court in town to play on.

Reply #5057 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

i agree the best court is court 1 at pasadeana

Reply #5066 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

Yeah if you don't fall through the floor!

Reply #5074 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

i said pasadeana crt one because i think i my opinion that i play best there

Reply #5110 | Report this post

the light  
Years ago

the dome is terrible - 3 courts give no atmosphere to the games, surface is a little dodgy, umpiring aint that great. suprising that the grand finals are mostly held at the dome - wayville has 3 courts and great atmosphere - with seating access on the sidelines and also the baselines...cant say the same for the dome and from the top of my head, pasadena. wayville is definately the best venue, and am shocked to see they have no grand finals this season.

Reply #5114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GO M/vale....easily the best! hands down. hillcrest easily 2nd..great atmosphere at these 2 stadiums!! p.s. north's U18's team DIDNT make the finals! but r state champs! what the!

Reply #5120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i don't see how the Dome could even be close. The only half decent court is the middle one but you have the benches opn the baseline and the other 2 courts are dusty from all the seating over the top of them!

Reply #5131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wayville
dome
starplex
mars
pasadena

TOP 5

Reply #5134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and M/VALE...

Reply #5144 | Report this post

big ben#3  
Years ago

pasadena is the best stadium then wayville then starplex then the dome then mars

Reply #5151 | Report this post

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Surprised that amongst all the talk of stadiums, there ain't much mention of the proposed building at Woodcroft College (end of Farnsworth Rd, next to the college and Woodcroft Shopping Centre).

The word is that it will be along a similar design to the Starplex, with 4 courts, pool facilities etc. So my best court in SA - it's a tie between a stadium that has been torn down (the old darkwood at the Apollo just rocked) and the yet-to-be-built Woodcroft. For current stadiums, the Starplex leaves everything else for dead.

Reply #5155 | Report this post

Am i Right?  
Years ago

i gotta just say that concordia is one of the worse stadiums i mean i got better lino quality in my kitchen it should b knockd down its a waste of space prefer to play at brightion ring but they win hands down on the best court (Brighton rings taht is) they never brake and they been up for years best to shoot on.

Reply #5170 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

wayville stadium in my opinion is the bets stadium forc
atmosphere.

Reply #5230 | Report this post

the light  
Years ago

Jirachi, i believe the show finishes on the 11th - grand finals are 6 days later mate

Reply #5287 | Report this post

harold  
Years ago

M/Vale is the worst stadium (you need bodyguards and an armered car to make it there alive) and then it would be North because every time you try to save a ball from going out you take your life into your own hand (and spectators lives)and then pasedena I like the rings their but the floor boards just keep snapping.

Reply #5290 | Report this post

Curious  
Years ago

Harold,

Great name if you live in the 50's. What a load of crap that you need bodyguards to get to M/Vale. Apart from being a bit dark at times you would say it was one of the better venues around. I also believe the crime rate is a lot higher in the Northern suburbs than South, so really you have no idea. Maybe, Harold, you are that old it scares you to just go outside? Maybe we should call you Grampa Simpson? I like Hillcrest. It's a trip but in general it's a good stadium to play at.

Reply #5295 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

west minster is a training good venue but not so good for watching due to lack of seats

Reply #5296 | Report this post

saw  
Years ago

Before I start let me remind people we are talking about stadiums and not the clubs which operate from them.

In my opinion, from a supporter's view (not a player), I enjoy the times I go to Hillcrest and watch a close game. The atmosphere is great, having spectators close to the court and on all four sides in some shape or form adds to this atmosphere. The downside is the limited seating so you need to plan to get there early but once you have your seat it is enjoyable.

On the other hand, while Starplex, Wayville and Pasadena are newer and have better facilities I think they lose something with the atmosphere. Basically the crowd is only on one side apart from a small number on the players side. There is no external viewing from each end and you are not quite as close to the action.

So for me Hillcrest is great for the atmosphere and feeling part of the game.

Reply #5304 | Report this post

S Vidmar  
Years ago

Athol Park

Reply #5353 | Report this post

basman  
Years ago

how come the show has never been a problem before... regarding grand finals, and sometimes even prelims?

Reply #5566 | Report this post

Thankful  
Years ago

Be thankful on 3 counts about Starplex. 1 - We only go there twice a year. 2 - Hopefully your car is still in the car park after the game. 3 - You may get a close game if you run your bench for most of it.

Reply #6085 | Report this post

Mr Nice Guy  
Years ago

Apollo was the best hands down.

DHD Centre Court with seating down is the best court without a fight.

Forestville Court 1 was great, court 2 was the worst! Court 3 was dark.

Port Adelaide's courts are tiny and the floor has uneven bounce. Same goes for St Clair.

Bowden Court 1 was good, Crt 2 was ordinary, Crt 3 was okay.

Col Light Gardens Court 1 was good.

Hilcrest stadium should be a skating rink, it has built in ramps!

Starplex does have hard iron, but I think the worst rings are M/V Court 2.

M/V is so dark anyway and the wood is being eaten from under your feet.

Wayville's court 1 is good.

Reply #6113 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

i jst heard that norwood dont have mars as a stadium an6y more. does anyone know anything about this

Reply #6545 | Report this post

block party!  
Years ago

well i think you have all missed the best stadium hands down.... mt barker i know its a fair way and all but court one is AWSOME the atmosphere is there and you dont have any other wissles from other courts. i would rate it top 3 and all you crackers that think hillcrest, morphet vale and port adel. are good are you ill or just mentaly retared they suck!!!!

Reply #6642 | Report this post

block party!  
Years ago

i mean top 3 equal with pasadena and starplex

Reply #6644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares, as long as its got a hoop.

Reply #6647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have to rank the stadiums in 2 categories...

For 3 Courts

1)Starplex
2)Wayville
3)Pasadena
4)Mars
5)Dome
6)MV
7)Port

For 1 Court

1)Dome
2)Mt. Barker
3)Wayville
4)Pasadena
5)Mars
6)Starplex
7)MV
8)Port
9)Hillcrest
10)Marion

Reply #6736 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

Now I remember when Hillcrest was built and Forestville's number 2 court was cement. There was no bar at Bowden and courts 1 and 2 were cement.

But the stadium to beat all stadiums for floor, for atmosphere, for gossip, for basketball was
Apollo for those of you who never experienced you missed the best.

There is no comparison - end of story.

Reply #6738 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

does anyone remeber the old centras court at elizabeth. that court was a shocker

Reply #7212 | Report this post

retro boy  
Years ago

can anyone remember the clock on forestville court 2??? u could never tell how long was left if u were a player and u had to take a quick glance at the clock. u knew it was inside the last minute, but that was about it. funny stuff. athol park was awesome. i think every player in the state has been a part of a classic game at athol park eg. hitting the gamewinner, going into double OT in a KO semi final. awesome.

Reply #7313 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

As of next week Court 1 at marion will have glass backboards... maybe South will be able to shoot now :P

Reply #7794 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

While they are at it can they extend those change rooms near the canteen?

Reply #7810 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Where and how are they going to extend the womens/visiting teams changerooms? How can they extend it?

With the new glass backboards going in next week and the new sponsership stickers going down on the court, I think the court lines should be repainted. They're starting to turn yellow. I believe it'd just make the overall look of the court better with the lines freshly painted and white again.

Reply #7818 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

Same way as you would put in a house extension. Not that I know much about building but I think it would involve knocking down walls and putting walls up. I hope this helps TB.

Reply #7820 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

What walls would you knock down? Obviously you've been in the rooms. So what walls do you suggest? The ones that go into the mens toilets or the ones that go into the main office? Either way it's a lot harder to do than just saying it.

Amongst that plans have to be passed by the council. Along with many building standards have to be met.

Reply #7821 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

Unknown, "The Den" rocked on Friday nights. I loved playing there, they had the best rings, and you could always rely on a Northern 'burbs gangsta putting some city slicker on their ass on the concrete floor!!!
Well done to all if they never got their car done over!!!

Reply #7857 | Report this post

Alf  
Years ago

The new backboards at marion are soooooooo much better! Too bad they dont have them on court 2 as well.

Reply #9023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they've moved the spring loaded rings onto court 2 at marion though, so that's alright. Yeh the new glass backboards are pretty sweet. They just need to be worn in at the moment, a little too bouncy with no give "snap" on a dunk. Now all the marion stadium really needs is the court to be sanded right back, new lines painted and then court resurfaced.

Reply #9070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The sponser stickers aren't that slippery... not compared to the sabres logo at pasadena. I'm at the marion stadium quite frequently and I feel that with the new glass backboards going up, it seems to have made the court feel more open. You'll understand when you see it.

As for the court surface, there are also many nails that are starting to come up from the floorboards, games are having to be stopped while the referee hammers them back in. This needs to be fixed, I believe the only way this can really be fixed is a good sand back to the wood, fill in all the holes from the nails that refs have instead of hit back in pulled out all together. Then the nails that are protuding need to be knocked right back in and sealed over properly.

And please repaint the lines, they're starting to look a gross off yellow colour.

Reply #9075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i like the "tram lines" on old forrestville ct 2

Reply #9084 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

Best courts ive eva played on:

1) Athol park crt 1 and 2. dont worry bout the rest of the stadium. the courts were extreamly good

2) wayville crt 1
3) dome crt 2 (middle)
Daylight for the rest of adelaide

4) all of the victorian court that ive played on.

For atmosphere:
1) wayville (anywhere)
2) pasadena (finals only)
3) forrestville crt 1
4) port crt 1

Reply #9259 | Report this post

Cheezeburger  
Years ago

best court.court 1 at the dome.the best rings in adelaide.good for workhorse power forwards because the backboard is soft and the rings allow for a roll.bar all the other courts.port adelaide is the worst because u feel like your playing in a tin shed when it rains.

king of scrap lives on...

Reply #9263 | Report this post

shmee  
Years ago

ummm that'd be because it is a tin shed...

Reply #9431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the best stadium is

Dome
Wayville
Starplex
M/Vale!!!

The dome and M/vale have the best seating arrangements!!! most seating!!!! comfortable!!!

Reply #9808 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

m/vale? only on crt 1 maybe. wayville is much better. mars too(if they still use it??) M/Vale is a hole all round!

Reply #9829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i have to say that only one cour at the dome is great, but pasadena or wayville

Reply #10455 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Bring on the true homes of basketball, the only true living tin sheds left...Marion and Hillcrest!!!

Reply #10600 | Report this post

Pink Panther  
Years ago

Grass roots basketball at marion you gotto love it

Reply #10609 | Report this post

Another Anonymous  
Years ago

Port Adelaide's still in the Tin Shed era.

Reply #10610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with 3 more courts at starplex it wil take the prize easy.

Reply #10673 | Report this post

Pink Panther  
Years ago

Starplex would be OK if you didn't have to drive half way around the world to get there. Make centrals join the barossa league cos there too far away!

(Mod: Remark removed. Unnecessarily derogatory.)

Reply #10720 | Report this post

pinky  
Years ago

Distance will be no issue next Tuesday night!

Reply #10721 | Report this post

Pink Panther  
Years ago

Whats next tuesday night

Reply #10722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Port Adelaide worst stadium
Too noisy
The guy who runs it is a knob

Reply #10818 | Report this post

Secretus Sciurus  
Years ago

Best stadiums

Wayville
Good rings, floor,lighting, stands, bar facilities where you can see court one.

Pasedena
Same, except for the dodgy floor, you can see it bending as players run.

Worst court

Court 1 Marion
Like playing in a cave
There's a stand down the far end which is about a foot from the baseline.
Law suit in the making
Glass backboards!
Like putting a MOMO steering wheel in a Datsun 120Y

Best court

tie

Court 2 Forrestville

Your inbound play could start with a hand off!

Court 3 Forrestville use to be the lowest rings in the state.

And those motivational signs
I forgot defence in hard work not a rest period!

Seriously

Middle court at the Dome, when its set up as two courts like in the finals. Thats Atmosphere as opposed to being cramped in a tin shed. I personally don't like the rings there but thats just me.

Harold,
Need bodyguards at MVale
Go back to Ramsay street

Saw,
You don't really think spectators being close to the court is good for basketball. Big runoffs mean players can go in hard without having to worry about breaking an arm.

Reply #10825 | Report this post

I reckon...  
Years ago

All the new stadiums have really good courts, rings, new facilities...etc etc...
HOWEVER
playing at them has no comparison to a stadium with good atmosphere ie. Morphett Vale and Mars...love it

Reply #12614 | Report this post

Crocodile Rock  
Years ago

What do people think about the most professional ABL Court Announcer?

I think that the announcer/music man at the Port is right up there, what do you think?

Reply #12623 | Report this post

u know????  
Years ago

morphett vale is soo the best, original by my opinion, i like it

Reply #16585 | Report this post

Rookie  
Years ago

I have fallen through court 1 at pasadena, stepped on bendy floorboards which then had to be taped over on court 2 and on court 3 i have taped over risen nails and bendy floorboards as well as fix the backboards for pieces fallin off, so as to building structure, pasadena is a complete mess. But the atmosphere at Pasadena and the situation of things (except for the canteen now) and great.
Wayville is great in every aspect, but the only thing i have to pick on is you cant see any games if ur at or in the canteen. And if you are in bar you can only watch court 1.

I cant comment on the others as i dont spend enough time there to comment.
So theres my 2 bobs worth.

Reply #16587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rookie I dont know about that!

It is my honest opinion that pasadenas lose boards aid us shooters. It gets the feet set better than other venues ... such as wayville .. sorry... but its the truth and I think the bar at pasadena is a good touch...

Reply #16613 | Report this post

Rookie  
Years ago

I can agree with u there, i practice my shooting alot more at pasa then w/ville and i tend to do alot better! but the floor is too dangerous, there are so many dead spots, for example on a spot on court 2, u cant do a crossover cuz the ball goes the wrong way. same thing happens on court 1. Lucky for myslef and some others, i know where they are!

Reply #16685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like M/vale tit has great seating arrangments part from court 4! but its a good stadium all round...

Reply #16704 | Report this post

Sir Spark  
Years ago

Everyone knows M/Vale is crap, its not a topic for debate, its an open and shut case.

Conclusion: M/Vale = Struggle

Reply #16708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

M/Vale is not crap. It is a good stadium and most of the people that are there are heaps nice so it is a good stadium all round

Reply #17182 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

I must say MV is better than the Dome Sir SPark. Especially when you have to coach from the middle of the dome when they use 3 courts. Add the no atmosphere factor and the huge walk up to the top after the game, i would say MV is way out in front.

Reply #17199 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

booo hoo, the dome's facilities destroy M/vale. u would have to walk to ya car after anyway, so stop ya crying!

Reply #17207 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

Well Done Take Luck. Another typical dickhead Woodville response.

Reply #17209 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Playing and coaching at the Dome is only good on GF day.

Reply #17222 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

in the no, so wat u r saying, is that u would rather play/coach etc on crt 1,3 or 4 at M/Vale ( ok, coaching i can c your point, and atmosphere) but the facilities are extreamly better at the dome. u have to c that. personally, give me athol park anyday! i never said that the dome was the best, just better than M/Vale

Reply #17224 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

I agree that on GF day when only two courts are eing used the atmosphere is great. I would prefer to coach at MV but I do agree that the facilities are better.

Reply #17261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The facilities are way better at the Dome than they are at Morphett vale but Morphett vale is a better stadium. I agree with "In the know"

Reply #17271 | Report this post

Elyse Videon  
Years ago

I think the layout of MV is great, but they needed alot more thoguht into the structure- etc _ floorboards, space between bench, courts and walls, (especially for 1 and 4), as well as the changerooms and toilets need some updating. But i do like where everything is.

Reply #17314 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

dome facilities are good but the cleaning really sux.

the floor area around the back of the chairs is ingrained with years of dirt and the change rooms and toilets are filthy they realistically only get a quick wipe over the floors the toilets the floors under the chairs.

the entire place needs a spruce up and new paint

Reply #17317 | Report this post

In the know  
Years ago

I think all the stadiums need a touch up but we will all have to wait for some money to come in. MV layout is great but i agree it needs some TLC.

Reply #17345 | Report this post

kale11  
Years ago

Fville stadium easily the best.anyone ever played at mildura stadium?i know its not even in this state,but it goes alright.

Reply #17424 | Report this post

cammo  
Years ago

wayvillie all the way baby

Reply #26209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The new stadium at Goolwa would easliy be the best outside Adelaide. The floor was installed by the same people who built the Sydney court for the 2000 Olympics. The only draw back is that it has only one court, but potential seating for a thousand plus.

Reply #26213 | Report this post

Kym Taylor  
Years ago

The Eagle Dome hands down!! Or the "Nest" (old Forestville Stadium). Apart from Apollo, nothing other than these two rate. The wall on court 2 of the original f/ville stadium was a hoot, as there'd always be some kid walking along there sucking on an ice-cream to dodge. All of the old sayings on the walls - "You can't be a spectator if you want to play" - "A rebound in the hand is worth two in the basket" - "The others are working hard.. are YOU". These alone would be priceless items, and no doubt will be on ebay sometime in the not too distant future. Some guy is licking his lips somewhere after salvaging these babies from the the site prior to demolition!! The club was way ahead of their time... such genius!!

Reply #26277 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

"Be aggressive get the rebounds"

Make your bid Kym ill even frame it for you

Reply #26286 | Report this post

Vincent Vega  
Years ago

Stella, I'll pay you half of what you bought it for.

Reply #26291 | Report this post

Stella Artois  
Years ago

No chance Vega. I am a business man, not a charity. It was like stealing candy from a baby

Reply #26297 | Report this post

statue of liberty  
Years ago

Dome
wayville
pasedena
starplex
morphett vale

Reply #26765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pasadena- last game we played there they had to fix the floor...there were nails poking up. Other than that....court 1 seating is good and the bar viewing is awesome.

Wayville- once again great court one, floors are pretty good, rings are average, but the bar is too small and canteen really expensive

Starplex- what can u say, good courts, no seating and in dingowhop whop

DOME- no atmosphere, good floor, new facilities

MARS- absolutely freezing (even in the middle of summer)

Mt Barker- Court one is pretty good, enough said about court two (p.s those bakery ppl set up on court one are awesome though)

M/Vale- crap refs, very dark, rings are pretty good though

Port- awesome atmosphere (court one), pretty outdated, bar viewing is good and they have great rings, you bank a shot in the rite spot and 99.9% of the time it goes in

Hillcrest- again great atmosphere, benches are really small, toilets are disgusting

South- haven't seen the updates yet, bad toilets and bad refs though

Athol Park was the bomb though, great atmosphere....awesome memories

Overall Best Stadium......
Probably Wayville

Reply #27001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wait...the overall rating
1- wayville
2- pasadena
3- DOME/Starplex
4- Mt Barker/MARS
5- Port/Hillcrest/Marion
6- M/Vale

Reply #27003 | Report this post

vets  
Years ago

How about Forestville? If u couldnt dunk on court 3 by u18s you may as well of retired and those rings seemed to grab the ball. All you had to was hit the ball on the ring and you got a basket.

Reply #27004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i dont really know....ive only played on court 3 twice.....

Reply #27021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

plus this is my first year in 18's

Reply #27022 | Report this post

mullet  
Years ago

the icehouse in the mount isnt bad....but the backcourts are by far the most frustrating in the state. to shoot a 3 pointer you basicially have to change your shooting action to avoid hitting the roof...unless your shooting style is similar to jason joynes

Reply #27867 | Report this post

cammo  
Years ago

i seriously dont kno what ppl see in morfetvale its dark dull and boring . sure the atmosphere can b good but the stadium has a crappy image

Reply #27874 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

what are the courts with the most friendly and unfriendly hoops?
friendly= dome court 2
unfreindly= st.clair all courts

Reply #27878 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

1. Starplex
2. Dome
3. Wayville

Reply #28527 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mt barker is awful one court is concrete the other is just concrete with parquetry on top it isn't properly sprung

Reply #28933 | Report this post

cammo  
Years ago

mt barker reminds me of the old lions stadium in elizabeth. terrible floor! very unsafe.

Reply #29002 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Is it just me or is pasadena currently using duct tape to hold some of the floor boards down?

For real. Cammo i'd say that is more unsafe than barkers floor.

Reply #29749 | Report this post

cammo  
Years ago

i would say that mt barkers stadium would b more unsafer because of the flooring. honestly its not like u r goin to get hurt bad if u fall on passedenas courts. sure the are a bit broken but u hav more change of injurying ur self on mt barkers crt than u do at pasedena.

Reply #29892 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

easy cammo, at least on Mt Barker's ct 2 you've got some consitency. having "a bit broken" is as dangerous as it gets.

As for Barkers ct 1, i would go so far as to put it in the top 3 courts in the state, rivalling the dome and wayville. Pity Basa doesn't utalise it as much as other crts.

Reply #29894 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

injuring yourself how? I'd rather play on a court with floorboards that are flat than ones that aren't. pasadena could be one of the best stadiums, but the floor boards are not maintained, so i'd put it up there (or down there) with marions drop off court, or port.

"unsafer" the days of good English has went!

Reply #29896 | Report this post

cammo  
Years ago

i would rather play on a crt with dodge floor boards than play on a crt that has a rock hard surface. besides wot are the chances that ur gonna trip ova and hurt ur self on a crt with dodgy floor boards, to a crt with a rock hard surface!

Reply #30021 | Report this post

sharon  
Years ago

i heard that sturt mite be gettin a new stadium. is this true?

Reply #30206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

no

Reply #30207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cammo - do you read what you write before you post?

A surface has to be rock hard to be able to walk on, if it isn't it would be like walking on sand.

Obviously you are a dodgy player, whinging about a hard floor!!!!

Dodgy floor boards are a major hazard, a floor needs to be consistent, regardless of how 'hard' it is. If you are sliding for a loose ball you could get seriously injured if the floor is being held together by duct tape.

(Hint: Before replying cammo, re-read what you write so you dont sound like a moron.)

Reply #30235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

starplex then wayville

Reply #30312 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

#30235... well said.

Reply #30380 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Havn't been or played at Mt Barker for about 8 years, but back than court one was AWESOME! (For it's time). I always had my best games on court one. The other courts really sucked though!

Reply #30388 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wayvillie gets my vote

Reply #35088 | Report this post

Big PhiL  
Years ago

wayville starplex and the dome

Reply #35154 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dome to quiet and starplex to far away

Reply #35239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Starplex is only far away if you live down south. Apart from that it is only 45minutes approx away

Reply #35291 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

still that does take a while

Reply #35363 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

1 Wayville
2 Dome
3 Pasadena
4 Starplex - limited by its distnace from town (pain in the arse factor)
5... daylight .. the rest ...

I know its a bit nostalgic but Athol Park was always my favourite stadium . 8 am Saturday morning games were always a bit tricky with the condensation, but the floor was better than all the others in its day !
Court 3 & 4 were great in Summer b/c you had the breeze from the open end of the stadium.

(showing my age maybe?)

Reply #35529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well for me Starplex wins hands down.
The rest are just too far away
Pasadena you have to pack your tea as it takes forever and too bad if you have a 6.30pm game. It then takes 2hrs because of the traffic.
Marion and morphett vale are just as bad, should bring your pj's as well.
Mt Barker well why not take the caravan and make a weekend of it
Hilcrest, Mars, and Pt Adelaide, they are only 45minutes away but too some on her that is just too far as well.

Reply #35665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

starplex mite be good for 10% of people that play basketball in adeliade. for most people i think that wayvillie would be most convinent.

Hillcrest and marion both have terrible car parks. morphette vale doesnt hav good parkin either

Reply #35729 | Report this post

Curious Monkey  
Years ago

anon (#35665) - do you realise the world doesn't revolve around you?

"The rest are just too far away"

Think of the other side of the coin, perhaps Starplex is too far away for everyone else. It would be interesting to see how far away each of the stadiums are from the GPO.

Reply #35975 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

This should end the time/distance debate once and for all!

whereis.com has a direction finder. Type in "From" and "To" and it gives directions and approx time.

If we take the Victoria Square GPO as the centre of adelaide, here are the distances and times to all stadiums:

Wayville - 2.40 km - 04 mins
MARS - 5.76 km - 09 mins
Dome - 7.23 km - 11 mins
St Clair - 8.95 km - 12 mins
Hillcrest- 9.01 km - 12 mins
Pasadena - 8.77 km - 13 mins
Port Adel- 14.04 km - 18 mins
Marion - 12.81 km - 19 mins
Morphett - 23.75 km - 31 mins
Mt Barker- 34.21 km - 33 mins
STARplex - 40.09 km - 43 mins

From this, there appears to be 4 clear bands of time distance.
Close 0 -15 mins - about 20 mins - about 30 mins - 45 mins.

This would place Wayville, mars, dome, hillcrest and pasadena as close. Then stadiums in the suburbs would be Pt Adel and Marion. Outer suburb stadiums would be Morphett Vale and Mt Barker, with Starplex officially being out Dingo whoop whoop!

Reply #35978 | Report this post

STIP  
Years ago

I think someone has too much time on their hands......

Reply #36016 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

yes but very inforamive STIP.

Reply #36141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon (#35665) - do you realise the world doesn't revolve around you?

I know the world doesnt revolve aroundme, and maybe others on this site need to know that they arent the centre of the universe as well.

Reply #36143 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

Would everyone agree that the best court in SA WAS the old Forestville Court 1?

Reply #36144 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

Yes, I agree Libertine. I could have cried when they pulled Forrestville down. No one ever seems to be in the (skate?) park.

Reply #36145 | Report this post

Mr T  
Years ago

It's a skate park now :| interesting.

But yer, the old forestville stadium was good. It had 'atmosphere' :P The whole "train tracks" on court 2 etc. :P I really did love court 1 though with the stands on both sides of the court.

Reply #36159 | Report this post

Marion Stadium has by far the best backboards and newest rings on court 1. Bulletproof glass cannot be found anywhere else in the state, thank you very much.

Reply #36734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mt baker rings are wicked to shoot on. i find it hard to ajust to the court tho because its so bouncey.

Reply #36756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

mt barker backboards are the best

Reply #36783 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

does anybody recall the old sturt staduim that burnt down only played there once when i was in u/10 i'm in u/20 now cant remember much of it i thought the old forestville staduim was good i liked it alot same with the athol park one too but as time moves on so do things i wish those stadiums were still around so we can show the young ones were so and so did the best dunk or were some team one by one point in the grandfinal

Reply #36816 | Report this post

Ryan  
Years ago

with the port adelaide redovelopment hapening the bearcats may have a new home it would a four court set up follow the same design as wayville it would be situated opposite the rugby club which is just bower road and would over look the water

Reply #36817 | Report this post

SomeOneElse  
Years ago

It depends on what u want in a stadium as to whether its any good, the stadium its self, its situation in adelaide, the backboards and court quality etc. ie marion and hilcrest have their old traditional charms, and wayville and starplex have their new improved stadia styles. All stadiums are good in their own way.

Reply #36876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yay new home for west, they can re convert the stadium back into a warehouse

Reply #36895 | Report this post

dvico  
Years ago

but wait this is not excepected to happen until atleast 2010 thats five years so if you have ideas better get cracking and submiting ideas to LMC which will look after the pt adel redevelopment

Reply #37071 | Report this post

indalecio  
Years ago

The things I look for the most are the rings and court. Starplex all the way. Rings are soft, courts have plenty of grip.

Reply #37209 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

St Peter s boys .. have the best 'new' gym in the state . $20k a year can buy you a multi-million dollar stadium

Reply #37295 | Report this post

Big PhiL  
Years ago

(Mod: Try to contribute without using such language.)

Reply #37370 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westminsters New Stadium is quiet reasonable, only viewing is a problem, maybe an option to look at for the panthers?

Reply #37417 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Hey Moderator ..

Give us a clue what Big PhiL said?

Was it a protest about St Peter's gym ??

Reply #37447 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Just unnecessary language used in telling us about his broken leg. Doesn't really bother me personally, but if I leave it up there I'll get an email from a parent at some stage and have to moderate it anyway.

Reply #37456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

indalecio,

I'm all for talking Starplex up but lets be honest. The rings are the WORST in any BASA venue. Clearly the worst ... there is no way anyone not from Centrals would talk them up or call them soft.

The floor isn't even wooden. Call me old fashioned but I'd still rather play on a good wooden surface like Wayville then the multi purpose surface that is starplex.

As far as facilities Starplex is second to none, but the two things you mentioned are the worst two things about the place.

Reply #37458 | Report this post

Yourmumlovesit  
Years ago

Marion has the best surface on court 1
m/vale is just a hole
wayville is ok but audio in there sucks the big fat one
pasadena - well court 1 is ok except the sturt logos (they're seriously unsafe no grip at all)
hillcrest thats the hole of adelaide.
port adel - that was a after thought
starplex isn't too bad.
marden - poorly layed out and chumpy UIC's on saturday mornings...
W3rd!

Reply #44205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

panthers move to westminster idea ok

Reply #44728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

y westminster?

Reply #44838 | Report this post

dub zero  
Years ago

starplex is the best stadiun minus the seats they are uncomfortable but other than that starplex is the best stadium by a long shot

Reply #44978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Westminster is so close to South they should use it as often as possible. Its a great gym, part from the rings/backboards could be better, nice viewing area.

Wonder when/if Norwood moves to CLC...

Reply #44989 | Report this post

jord  
Years ago

i recon its the plex hands down

Reply #45070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the plex is to far from where i live.

Reply #45084 | Report this post

richy6989  
Years ago

starplex is a great venue but is overused and a bit slippery, wayville has very good rings and floorboards and a good atmosphere.

Marion and hillcreat are bad but do have a good atmosphere.

Reply #46210 | Report this post

richy6989  
Years ago

Starplex- go centrals!!
Wayville
Pasadena
Dome
Mars
M/Vale
Port- hot girls!!
Hillcrest
Marion

Reply #46212 | Report this post

jimmy  
Years ago

marion is my favourite stadium!

Reply #48257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea mazza rocks its betta than pasa dere floors r crap and port is a hole

Reply #72798 | Report this post

xl  
Years ago

marion? to small, too hot in summer, too cold in winter, just all round crap

Reply #72800 | Report this post

Killswitch  
Years ago

hands down the starplex wins , the dome was purpose built manily for 6ixers games and being able to cater for a couple thou spectators,but for general usage for junior games starplex wins hands down come one there are 4 courts all of the same standard clean surface all the same rings id say theres plenty of places to sit and watch junior games and aba on court one i rekon has betta seating capacity then wayville, not to mention the facilities its just a shame that there arent many carnivals played there, but there is a good atosmosphere there on a friday night i find alot of freinds there 2 games going on crt 1 and 2 everyone there in one spot not hidden behind some dodgey steep stadium like morphetvale plus netball thats a good watch some times, plenty of parking decent bloody toilet block one thing it lackes is more then one change room for both sexes even thou there are another two around by the pool area that many ppl forget abou or dont noe so if you from another club walk straight in and look to your left for those change rooms if u so badly need one and dnt want to be put ina awkward possie when u got to teh other ones and centrals are in there lookin at you like wtf lol

Reply #80279 | Report this post

LTerrett  
Years ago

Have purchased a new home right on the old Apollo Basketball stadium site and would love to get a photo of the stadium to frame for memorabilia sake. Does anyone have a photo of the inside and or outside of Apollo, thanks in advance.

Reply #109806 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

I've only ever played at Sturt and Starplex, but the Starplex is a fantastic arena. I can't pick a fault with the stadium. Secondly bouncy rings.....I haven't had a problem with that. I'd rather focus on a clean shot than to focus on how poor the bounce on the ring is!!!

Reply #131727 | Report this post

Hillbilly  
Years ago

Starplex is great stadium in the wrong suburb - what we call a woftam. Waste of ........
Never mind keeps the kids off the streets does not matter that they roller blade as long as they are active and healthy. I think they do Karate lessons out there - self defence, very appropriate for when you go to get in your car after the game - just in case you get mugged.

At least here in the hills they steal your car.

Reply #131754 | Report this post

Ash  
Years ago

i have a picture of the apollo. inside and out

Reply #132532 | Report this post

Magic Man  
Years ago

Out of the ones that i've played on.

1. The Dome.
2. Pasadena
3. Wayville
4. Morphett Vale
5. Port Adelaide.

I can't SA Country tryouts are at freaking Port Adelaide. Those courts suck!

Reply #132548 | Report this post

Wayville 65  
Years ago

Because that's what BASA (or now Basketball SA) give them MagicMan.

Reply #132549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for rings

1)pasadena
2) wayville
3)port (1&2)
4) starplex
5)westminster

worst
1)st clair
2)marion
3)blackfrias
4)hillcrest
5)dome
6)southern

Reply #203727 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All courts really suck in Adelaide. Mainly because none are looked after correctly. The dome being one of the worst, the construction of the actual wooden floor isnt very good at all, is very dusty ( not cleaned enough) and provides you with a very hollow feel, probably dodged out on the supports before the concrete. It is also made with very cheap wood. Ingle Farm Recreation center is one of the very few few courts in adelaide that is constructed of expensive wood, afetr all the ingle farm rec was made on Olympic standards when it was built. They have now ruined the court by replacing their systems with crappy local rims and blackboards.

But its fair the say any rims in adelaide suck, even the Domes rims are shit, for one they have their springs horizontally and add an extra metal bracket for it to bend from(not to mention their non-regulation acrylic backboard, you can ONLY play on 1.2 inch glass, no exceptions), which not only makes the rim too long, but provides a unusual rebound. Same goes for all the shitty rims in australia which use non straight through designs and hollow no solid constructed rims.

The starplex is ok, but their rims are not great, rebounds are very soft because the spring system is agen mounted horizontally and rebound depends on force of the ball, not right at all. For you people who say a good shooter can shoot on any rim, thats crap, systems should all meet specifications and why the hell should we be playing district on cheap quality wood, there is virtually a 20% rebound and that crap. Adelaide does no have to services the cater for any type of professional basketball player or have gyms that are open 24/7 or even 6am-onwards thats are decent or dont cost alot.

Reply #226377 | Report this post

Shootsomehoops  
Years ago

Basketball has a lot of stadiums but the dome is the best.

Reply #425583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe rename the topic to mention the best stadium in ADELAIDE.

Reply #425598 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754