Isaac
Years ago

Funny Kings too accurate, end Sixers streak

The Adelaide 36ERS' home winning streak has been broken by the rampant Sydney Kings who collected their 15th straight victory in the process. The Kings were simply too strong defensively and too accurate from the field, running out 109-96 winners. Brett Maher had a game-high 20 points at 64% for Adelaide, and added 7 assists, but Sydney drew on its depth to outscore Adelaide 24-39 from the bench.

From the outset, Adelaide looked behind the pace, staying in touch and, for a time, leading only through the efforts of their starting five and a few fortunate calls from the referees. Late in the quarter, though, the Kings burst free, blowing out the lead to 10 points.

Despite the strong crowd urging the home side to fight back, the Kings were relentless in the second period. Luke Kendall, coming off the bench for the Kings, hit three from outside to have 16 points by half-time, and the Kings quickly moved to a 20 point advantage.

Dusty Rychart, battling foul trouble, was far from his best, playing less than half of the game for 15 points and 7 rebounds. He and Adelaide's other import, Willie Farley, combined for a solitary point in the second quarter.

The visitors went into the main break looking by far the better team, up 10-24 on the boards and shooting from outside at 60%. Brett Maher was the lone consistent performer for Adelaide, having 10 points at half time, while Mark Nash was serviceable off the bench with 8 points en route to a 10 and 6 game.

In the third term, the Sixers lifted, but Sydney had the answers to maintain control. CJ Bruton (19 points) was deadly from range, hitting three triples, and Rolan Roberts (16 points, 10 rebounds) scored with hook shots from the paint.

Adelaide lost Oscar Forman to a groin injury, the forward playing just 11 minutes of the game and not returning to the court after half-time.

Brad Hill was something of a spur for the Sixers in the third, making a couple of baskets and snagging steals that gave some hope. He had some assistance from Jacob Holmes (15 points, 6 rebounds) and Farley (17 points for the game), but costly turnovers by Farley kept Adelaide from reeling in the margin.

After three quarters of play, the 36ERS were down 72-95 and staring a sound thumping in the face.

The fourth saw some fortune favour Adelaide. With the crowd having seen some glimpse of hope and rising behind the team, the Sixers mounted a desperate surge -- a rejuvenated Paul Rees was a key in inciting part of it, knocking down Sydney's Mark Worthington and streaming forward on a break with Maher to finish with a lay-up.

Adelaide nearly halved the third quarter margin and with enough time left in the game, looked a long shot at taking the match to the wire.

Rychart was useful in aiding the home cause before picking up a couple of soft fouls rebounding from behind and earning a technical for his frustrated reaction. The Kings pounced to end the fightback, making a free throw, then two technicals, and scored off the next possession to close the door on any Adelaide hopes of contesting the game.

With the loss, Adelaide slip to third on the NBL ladder behind Sydney and Melbourne, with a 15-6 record. Sydney progress to 18-2 and will face the Tigers in Melbourne next week. Adelaide spend Round 16 visiting the Hawks on December 16 before returning home to host the Hunter Pirates on the following day.

Sydney Kings 109 (Bruton 19, Smith 17, Kendall 16, Roberts 16)
Adelaide 36ers 96 (Maher 20, Farley 17, Rychart 15, Holmes 15, Nash 10)

Topic #5414 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

General comments:

Great crowd. Boxscore said 5756 but it looked more to me. Shame we didn't have a better first half to put on more of a show for the fans.

Some of the rebounding fouls were pretty rough. Just when we had made a game of it and could've scored to make it close to a 10 point difference, Dusty got a couple of fouls and they get 5 points in a few seconds.

Maher shot 7/11 - would've liked to have seen him get more opportunities given that accuracy. Holmes was good - created a few good shots for himself. Farley had his moments, but those turnovers in the third quarter feeding the post were horrible.

The cars out the front and then at three quarter time looked great. After the technical hitch, they couldn't demo the sound system (there was talk of trying to get the Australian record - not sure) because it could've damaged Fox's microphones. Fox had promised an extended ad break for the cars, but I don't think it happened. Hopefully they'll bring that car back for another game?

I have a good amount of respect for Goorjian being able to have that roster playing as well as they are. They're not full of out-and-out talent, but they play intense defense and are very, very accurate from outside.

Reply #61484 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

Yeah, but how loaded is Goorj's team Isaac? You give that playing roster to any other coach in the league and you don't think they'd be on top of the ladder? And they've got Luke Martin coming back. They go a legitimate 10 deep with Martin back and you could well argue that Sheridan, Kendall, Crosswhite, Barlow and Martin would be staring on most other NBL teams. That's ridiculous in this day and age of tight salary caps and points systems. I'm not an expert on the points system but the basis of it was the make the league a more even competition and stop one team dominating I thought. If the Kings can maintain a 20 point lead for most of the game against the 2nd placed team on their home floor where they haven't lost a game then something isn't right.

Reply #61490 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

here here

Reply #61491 | Report this post

Jasmine  
Years ago

Crosswhite, Worthington, Barlow & Kendall would probably be worth very little in the points system due to their lack of playing years and Barlow has neve recieved any meaningful playing time until this season. Remember, the point system is based on the previous seasons, not how they are playing right now. Luke Martin is a quality player but hardly a superstar. He would be worth a decent number of points but not enough to break the bank.

They really only have three veteran stars that would be worth 9-10 points in Bruton, Smith & Roberts. Ben Knight would in the high points depart as well I suppose. Goorjian, as much as I dislike him, has a pefect roster of veterans and young players. He is getting great peformances at both ends of the court from both his veteran and his young players.

Sydney was able to beat the 2nd place team on the road when they haven't lost a game because they are simply a fantastic team which was put together, I believe, in accordance to the points system. I can't speculate on the salary cap because I have no idea what anyone earns. None of us do, so speculation is pointless. The Kings played the night before in Perth and yet had far more energy than the Sixers last night.

They played better D than the Sixers did, the ran their offense better the Sixers did, they rebounded better than the Sixers did. Simple.

Reply #61492 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Good point re the points.

Wonder what happens next year or will the discounts for being starters at Sydney come into play?

Smith 10
Import 10
CJ 10
Martin 5 (Boomer but started at Sydney)
Worthington 5 see Martin
Barlow 5 see Martin
Kendall 5 see Maertin

27 points and 3 player up their sleeve. So potentially they could load the team even more next year.

well under the points cap...wonder if the NBL will adjust the rules to have say a max number of Boomers in your squad.

Not sure how they will do it though.

Reply #61493 | Report this post

Master P  
Years ago

I have to agree with jasmine, I love the sixers but our recruiting methods are sub par. The thing Georgian does better than anyone is keep in contact with Aussie kids in the college system so when they are looking to become pro and europe doesnt call he has first dibs on them. We have Ryan Kersten, an adelaide boy playing for New Mexico, and he has said that he has never once heard from the sixers but has heard from Georgian many a time, so therefore as much as i hate to say it he desrves the better team. The other thing he has done well is have to stand out players in CJ and J Smith who can do as they like and filled the rest of the team with kids fresh out of college who are used to playing structured, disciplined ball, fitting to his side perfectly, smart bald little man!

Reply #61494 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

With the Kings intensity and accuracy last night they looked far superior. I also expected that the Kings would have been much more tired than they were. Given all that we came within 10 points already having sliced around 15 off the margin in the last quarter and were on a roll until the dodgy foul calls came. This resulted in an explosion of frustration that saw a normally cool and calm player getting a tech foul. There is only so much you can take when the officiating is questionable throughout the game. If we were able to continue on that roll, who knows, I believe we could have won it. It was at a time also when the Kings were losing a bit of their accuracy in shooting as a result of the threat they were being faced with. This could have seen them slide further back. The advantage the Sixers have even though they are not consistent is their ability to fight back in the crucial moments. When I talk about questionable calls, I don't mean we did nothing wrong but how about picking up fouls from both sides instead of one only. This could have caused confusion on our part as to how much you could get away with from the refs when they were overlooking the same fouls at the other end.

Reply #61495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you can't play badly for more than 75% of the game.

you can't lose a player the calibre of Oscar Forman

you can't play catch up basketball for the majority of the game and then blame the refs for causing the loss of momentum

believe me roberts was also frustrated with the refs he was taken out of the game by goorj on a few occassions to stop him from losing his cool

maybe that is where the sixers started to get into the game

sydney got hit with 3 - 3 in a row offensive fouls in the first 90 seconds of the second quarter they dealt with the officiating, by concentrating on the game and dealing with what they could their game and went on to amass a pretty handy lead

adelaide IMO were lucky to get back as close as they did and the closeness in scores flatter them.

Reply #61497 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon, you must have seen the game from a different angle. Throughout the game the people around me were watching the Kings players continuously committing fouls which went unnoticed by the refs. It frustrated us so much that it was difficult to contain the swearing. I'm not saying the Sixers didn't deserve the fouls they got called, but for crying out loud look at both ends and be consistent.

Reply #61520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder if EC may have had one eye closed? Nah, of course not!

Reply #61521 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Playing like that, we could feasibly go 2-9 to close the season.

Cooper and a couple of others need to try for some one-handed rebounds because when they get in those tipping wars, we'd always lose out to pesky Kings.

The scoreline flattered our game, IMO.

Reply #61523 | Report this post

warthog  
Years ago

I was pretty surprised that we weren't prepared to take on the Kings' transition defence. The game was played at the Kings' pace and the result followed.

The Kings' depth is what kills you - we were generally hanging in for the first 8 minutes of each quarter. We also had an opportunity at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, forcing Kings' turnovers, but then turning the ball over ourselves.

Reply #61534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now it may be said that I am a sore loser, but was lasts nights game incredibly boring to anyone else? Hats of to Sydney and every thing like that, but I totally lost interest in the game due the physicality. The skill side of Basketball was taken away with this style of game. It's not Sydney's fault the referees aren't able to set a standard for the game, but it appeared that every time we tried to do the same, fouls were being called. Maybe Sydney are just better at this style as they play it week in, week out.

I can see how they have won 15 games in a row when that style of basketball is played. It's obviously effective, but not very entertaining for fans. Would like to know how many people Sydney are pulling to their home games. If it's not that many, it may have something to do with the entertainment value (lack of).

Can anyone who watched the game on Fox confirm if the game was uninteresting?

Reply #61552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might as well give Sydney the championship right now....no one else comes close...to win consistently on the road like they have...they are the best team by a mile.

Sydney play hard(just outside the rules enough to get anyway with it) the other teams retaliate and get called...sixers lack of genuine depth is so exposed against the top teams its not funny...Think westover is right sixers will fall away.

Watching the game on Fox and listening to Carfino bitch and complain about the sixers home court bias from refs who arent even adelaide refs....Why even bother watching games on Fox with Carfino boring the shit out of you. Why they keep Carfino on Fox is a damm mystery.

Reply #61567 | Report this post

cat no go  
Years ago

Give Goorg and his team plenty of credit, he's obviously done his homework on Adelaide and their
"NO POST" Offense. Sydney consistantly switched all perimeter screens and hand offs which limited our open looks from the perimeter. All Adelaide does is shoot the ball from outside, if you dont feed a post man the defense doesnt have to collapse to the ball making it even harder to get open on the perimeter.Cooper with his height and long arms should be posting up and hitting jump hooks in the paint, instead hes running around outside the keyway with little effect. Why isnt anyone setting great screens to get Brett Maher open. Why is Brad Hill running the point position when all he really wants to do is put it through his legs 4 times then force up a shot.
Why does Farley consistantly gamble in defense and get beaten forcing his team mates to have to run to help. Why is Paul Rees arguing with the refs about every call instead of focussing on the game.

Reply #61570 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon 61497, you can play badly for 75% of the game and win. The Sixers almost proved it against the Kings and have done so in the past. Foul calling aside, they were on a good run home. Anyone could see in the last 5 minutes of the game, their intensity and aggression had stepped up. In fact they looked to be playing very much like the Kings had played all night except for shooting accuracy. They would have made up for that by the extra number of times they were throwing the ball up. I firmly believe the Kings play a dirty game and don't know why the refs allowed them to get away with it. The saying "if you can't beat them, join them" clearly applied here in the last quarter except for the refs believing it was good enough for the Kings but not the Sixers.

Reply #61574 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

You can't blame anyone but the guys on the court for that performance. Refs were OK in that they were consistently bad for both sides.

Roberts and others got a lot of soft calls under the basket, similar to Dusty's over the back fouls. Can't complain there.

Sydney simply had more discipline. To have such a young group playing disciplined basketball like that is a credit to Boy Goorj. Their defence was stingy, they ran the break well, they actually hit screens in the half court and they knock open shots.

The amount of times Sydney ran a simple double screen low, and Barlow curled in for a lay up was frustrating.

CJ should lead the universe in assists by driving and dishing to the open 3. He was too smart/good/quick for Farley, and I think showed why he should earn an NBA shot in the near future.

Kings for the 'ship for the next 6 years.

Reply #61578 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

Rebounding was the key to that game, the kings wanted the ball more.

Our centre (rees & cooper combined) in 43mins of game time got 4 rebounds, that is woeful.

The amount of time the ball went up and knight or roberts didn't have a body on them was terrible. Basic basketball, box out.

If we had got closer in the rebound count (we lost that by 12) we could have won.

If the other team gets 12 more opportunities with the ball, more often than not you lose the game.

Reply #61582 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

The kings never got called for hand checking constantly on defence. The amount of time brett did his little quick step got in front of his opponent then got hand checked/held so the defender can catch up was rediculous. Farley then got called for soft fouls when bruton got shitty when he hand checked and swiped his hand away. I had no issues in the first quarter but then the refs lost control of the game. Dusty getting called for over the back was also poor, it was happening down the other end all night. The little ref with the bald head didnt call much against sydney all night.
We left unhappy with the standard of the whole game. Roberts qetting frustrated was good as he was the one holding constantly when he was trying to post and he just got pissed.

Reply #61588 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

halleluah nutwork...
I am one of the simple fans..never played the game at a high level, come to it as a fan...but it seemed clear to me..the 36ers were completely thumped on rebounds..especially defensive..look at the rest of the game, im guessing we matched up pretty well overall... but rebounds, we barely got a hand on them, and often the ones we did get were more that fell in our laps, as opposed to fighting for and winning them. If Phil did say he didnt train for the physical game..then thats a joke, even i knew it would be tough.

Reply #61595 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Sitting at home enduring the Fox telecast I said in the second 1/4 we needed to stand up to the physicallity being shown by the Kings and give some back. We needed a Garrison type ready to sit one of the opposition on his arse! Reesy tried in the last but the game was gone then, where was the attiude earlier? Its our home court dammit!
In years past Garrison or Cattalini would have taken it upon themselves to do something to fire themsleves and the team (and crowd)up (why it took a message in the fourth 1/4 time out from smyth for someone to do something is beyond me) We were way too nice on Sat night and payed the price!

And as far as Carfino is concerned yes his bias gives me the s^%$s but its his crap US hiphop jargon taht really annoys me. When did an assist become a 'dime' for example - I think Id rather listen to KG and Cornesy call the game!

Reply #61599 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

if you want an 'australian' commentator listen to peter walsh on abc while you watch fox - very parochial.

Reply #61603 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

All I can say is hopefully CJ does go to the NBA or (more likely) Europe. Then they will be forced to use an import slot on a PG (due to the total lack of aussie pgs)
Still if they lose CJ and keep everyone else then it could be a number of years before they don't win the Champ.

Reply #61609 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

all i can say EC is good on you for being such a loyal supporter

i disagree with most you say simply because i see the game vastly different to you.

although i live in adelaide and would say follow the sixers i don't have a passion for them but for the game themselves

they were out played in every department on saturday and i agree with Isaac they could easily go 2-9 over the next few games.

IMO regardless if you believe the were soft fouls, whether they were wrong etc why is rychardt and cooper consistently rebounding from behind.

and all the other great points about hill running point, no intensity etc.

Reply #61657 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

one thing i couldnt understand was when willie and holmes were just running pick and rolls for a while, holmes was hitting shots or willie was creating of the dribble and then they all of a sudden stopped because brad hill had to have the ball in his hands. and then when maher came back it wasnt seen again. at that point it seemed to be giving us a bit of momentum yet just because it wasnt something we usually do, it stopped. IMO if they had kept going back to it, we woudve gotten a lot closer.

Reply #61683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings,better prepared, well coached and tougher again

Reply #62155 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:15 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754