Anonymous
Years ago

South Dragons

From South Dragons.com.au

South Dragons - New Victorian Force in NBL
14/12/2005

South Dragons is the name of the new Victorian-based Philips Championship NBL franchise, set to begin play in October for the 2006/07 season.

The Dragons will become the twelfth NBL team and will follow-on from the addition of the Newcastle-based Hunter Pirates and the New Zealand Breakers who joined the NBL for the 2003/04 season.

"In choosing the name, we looked at the competitive set which consisted mostly of animals and decided that being a Dragon was not only a more powerful being than a Wildcat or a Crocodile but importantly in a one-on-one battle with a King or a Tiger a Dragon would win every time."

Geographically, the Dragons are the southernmost NBL franchise, not only within Ausralia but within the entire Asia-Pacific region.

"We want to represent the whole state as opposed to an individual city," added Cowan.

"Our fixture will include a number of regional games and we want to ensure that our regionally-based fan aren't isolated by our name."

With a predominantly black college-style home strip and a white away strip, the Dragons will be the second Melbourne-based franchise alongside the Melbourne Tigers.

Melbourne-based teams have traditionally enjoyed a colourful home-town rivallry, an on-court battle that co-owner Mark Cowan believes will be reborn in season 2006/07.

"I'm looking forward to providing Victorians with great home-town derbys once again.

"What better a spectacle for Australian basketball than to have the Dragons and Tigers face-off at Vodafone Arena," added Cowan.

The South Dragons expect to name a head coach by early Feburary, with a formal interview process scheduled for mid-Janurary. Once a coach is announced, the Dragons will begin the task of building a playing roster.

The Dragons will also officially announce a training base over the next two months.

Topic #5458 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

"In choosing the name, we looked at the competitive set which consisted mostly of animals and decided that being a Dragon was not only a more powerful being than a Wildcat or a Crocodile but importantly in a one-on-one battle with a King or a Tiger a Dragon would win every time."
Yeah, but how would a dragon go up against a "36ER" or a "Breaker"?

Reply #61969 | Report this post

cLaRkY  
Years ago

I wonder if New Zealend can "Breaker" new franchise!!!

hahahahaha

Reply #61972 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hope they dont end up draggin their arse on the bottom of the ladder.....ok I hope they do

Reply #61977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Their web site, although nothing much is there is the best out of all the NBL clubs (and the NBL one). Their logo is different, although i would have liked it to have included a basketball.

Reply #61985 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Don't really like the uniforms - too plain, and do people think SOUTHERN would be better than SOUTH?

Reply #62023 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

wouldnt it have been smarter to call it like the South Melbourne Dragons. Or is that passing back to the days of the Magic too much?

Reply #62036 | Report this post

Eddie #55  
Years ago

I agree with both points of twenty four's.
The uniforms aren't the most exciting goin around but they'll do.
I also think that the Southern Dragons has a better ring to it than South Dragons

Reply #62063 | Report this post

connor  
Years ago

I saw them Training at Frankston and i met all the players

Reply #95932 | Report this post

connor  
Years ago

Shane Heals da bomb

Reply #95933 | Report this post

connor  
Years ago

I've got every players signature

Reply #95937 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:26 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754