yogee
Years ago

Commonwealth Games officials

I am posting this purely as information, I will not be entering into discussions as to merits of selection etc ...but here is a list of referees who have got the nod for M2006.

Brad Giersch
Carolyn Tsakalos
Damien Thiesz
Michael Aylen
Vaughan Mayberry

then there are others from Canada, England, India, Malaysia, Malta, Mozambique, Scotland, New Zealand, Nigeria, South Africa.

Bill Mildenhall and Greg Love are 2 of the 4 referee coaches.

Tony Goodwin (ex NBL player) is Director of Sport, with Sarah Nobbs (ex Lightning) an assistant.

Trevor Baker from SA is a scoretable coach, with Andrew Lea and David McKenzie going over from SA as score table officials, and I am going as a statistician.

The countdown is on!! Good luck to all my fellow SA counterparts heading over (especially if your bunking with me!)

Topic #5475 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yogee I think you will find that Bill Mildenhall, Greg Love, John Martin and Steve Smith are "Technical Commissioners"

Reply #62129 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Yes I do stand corrected...they are listed as "Commissioners" on the official listing.....helps if I read things before referring to them :)

Reply #62132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yogee,

Not having a go at anyone on the list but are Scoretable and Stats people selected as the best available or are they going because they've asked?

Reply #62142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People who were interested in scoring went to a carnival and "tried out" for the available positions. " 3 people went from Adelaide.

Reply #62145 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

Same with stats...people who were interested had to attend the ABA Nationals in Geelong for assesment and selection. We had a squad of 40 in Geelong which was reduced to the final 23 going to the Games.

For stats (and I think the scoretable was the same), we had to do 4 games, rotating through each stats position, in which we were assessed by Nationally accredited supervisors.

Reply #62151 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

If that's how they did scoretable and stats selections then it is virtually the same process used for the Sydney Olympics.

Reply #62153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were all scorers and stats people aware of this?

Im sorry Yogee but with all due respect I wouldn't have thought you would be considered one of the top 10 stats people in S.A.

(Sorry I'm not trying to have a go at you Yogee just I feel the best people should go not just those that know they need to go to ABA Finals, or are able to.)

Reply #62162 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

NO offence taken...yes there are plenty of people better than me, I am more than happy to say that.

However, they have not selected people just for the sake of numbers. The peole selected have demonstrated the required ability to be able to work at the level that is expected at M2006.

As far as to what would be required, at the time of putting our hands up, there were 4 of us who expressed initial interest, but others had to drop out for work reasons, personal etc. We did not know what was going to be invoved in selection processes at that time (what I mentioned about attending the ABA Championships is only a small part of the whole process)

Reply #62175 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:38 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754