ifeelsore
Years ago

Alternate possesion v's jump ball

Topic #5523 | Report this topic

ifeelsore  
Years ago

Let me try that again..........
Just looking for people's opinion on the rule change now that it has ben in for awhile. Being a guard I prefer it as it has worked in our teams favour many times. I think it evens out the possesions rather than a taller team dominating what should be regarded as a 50/50 ball.

Reply #62570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

its a horrible rule. Why should they alternate? the jump ball is quick and you can get upsets sometimes. They should at least jump at the half.

Reply #62573 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think its 50-50 if you are a guard you might like it, (not me though) i as a guard have a tall centre who can beat everyone so its easier for me. More possesion.

BUT

if your a small team you probably would get more possession that way.

Reply #62585 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

It's pretty simple how to fix this. You adopt a "prevention is better than cure" philosophy and simply shoot both players involved in the jump ball, and the game continues around their bodies.

It's extreme but the message will sink in soon enough.

Reply #62588 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

I'm with you Bo.

Reply #62595 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

its crap, u put your body on the line ie diving on the ball or just work hard to get it and then u dont get it coz of the stupid arrow gives the ball away. hate it

Reply #62647 | Report this post

ifeelsore  
Years ago

with the old rule you can still fight hard and dive for it and just because you can't jump as high as the other person who was also fighting for it, you lose it. I reckon it evens out the game...if it's a 50/50 ball, your team should get it 50% of the time

Reply #62701 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People have trained their whole bball life to be able to jump and learn how to time their jump to win jump ball's and now it seems they get one chance to gain posession at the start of a game only to give up the next one to the opposition. This rule has taken away a skill for certain players. They change rules for the better but way to often they don't look at the negative effect it can have on our game, this rule has stopped arguements, jump ball problems like people josling for position and even when an umpire can't make a decision he now just looks at the arrow and the game continues quickly but it has taken away a skill and a part of our game that was interesting to watch and play in. CHANGE IT BACK!!!!!!

Reply #62815 | Report this post

Bulldog  
Years ago

Just because someone is tall doesn't mean they will come up with possession from the tip, how many times do you see someone who can jump or is tall but doesn't know how to find a teammate with the tap? That's where the smaller guy can make a difference getting to the tipped ball. Scrap the arrow!

Reply #62826 | Report this post

man, jump balls are the ultimate in hustle and should be brought back immediately. i had a few in the st clair carnival, was loving it (I don't usually have the oppurtunity to take them at district level because my hops are nonexistent) I even went for the 2 points off the tip when it was down my end, unfortunately the other guy won that tip but oh well!

Reply #62842 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

They adopted the rule in my social team and we agreed that sometimes it isn't even worth diving in and hustling because half the time the reward is not there!

Hate it

Reply #62969 | Report this post

pickles  
Years ago

Yeah some good points. Just because someone is taller it doesn't mean their team gets the ball. If a player can read the ball off the tap, then they get the ball.

I think a lot of defensive hustle gets unreewarded. Atleast with a jump ball if you hustled, you got a chance to get the ball off a jump ball, rather than the other team having clean possession.

Reply #62992 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:56 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754