anonymous
Years ago

SA Country - Australian Junior Country Cup

hi, would just like to hear any comments people have to make on how they think the SA Country Albury teams will go this year. Will any of them be able to knock of the Vics? Are any teams exceptionaly strong or weak? Are there any players to look out for?

Topic #5525 | Report this topic

VC fan  
Years ago

SA Country is rigged man, u turn up in an ITC top, run around and you're in.

Reply #62650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it's not rigged only the best players get in

Reply #62696 | Report this post

ghost of big kev  
Years ago

the SA country u16 girls were only just beaten by sa metro - so they should do ok

Reply #62706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who is in the 18's team

Reply #62798 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

im not saying that because i didnt get in, i saw many good players there, probably fairly new to the game (or at least hadnt made SAC before) that had a lot of skill that were overlooked for "fading" players that had previously made the teams.

Reply #62802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So VC fan you think the coaches dont care about winning or developing the best players to their potential? U think they just pick the teams because they see a player with a ITC top on or because the players were there in U16s? Dude, get a freakin clue!

Reply #62804 | Report this post

VC fan,

Just out of curiosity, who are you?
You've posted on this thread and mentioned that you were on a couple of camps with Matt "I'm telling the truth when I say I don't have a thing for blonde North girls" Ryan!

Reply #62806 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

Im not having a go at the coaches, im sure they were selected to coach state because they are of a good calibre, im just saying that what i saw was that instead of picking up and coming players, it looked more like "hey theres johnnie, he did alright back in 14's, we'll give him another go this year. Ok, i know this is a little exagerated but im not the only one who feels this way, I know people who have gotten in that think the same also.

Reply #62863 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

VC Fan - sour grapes?

With around 60 players trying out in each age group, for 20 spots, there's always gonna be some players who think they've been hard done by when overlooked.

How about you go back to your Country Association, ask the ITC coach if there are any spots, and work your arse off for next year!

oh, and the 18 boys have a great squad, almost matching the talent of 2002.

Reply #62871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hey i'm with VC fan to a degree..... at times it seems harder to get out of these rep teams than it is to get in them.

Reply #62873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dr Dunkenstein,

You can't be serious.... this U18 SAC squad doesn't have nearly as much talent as the 2002 team.

In 2002, SAC had 2 players end up at the AIS (Hill & Kies) plus another who is in the 6ers squad (Madgen) plus another Academy squad member (Bungey) plus guys who are now solid ABL players (Boal, Modra).

Who do they have this year that compares to those guys?

Reply #62887 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

perhaps i should've added a ;) at the end of that.

(I was in the 2002 sqaud)

Reply #62889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

benny madgen and bronson both from williamstown in the Barossa, great town!!!! ;)

Reply #62890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually VC Fan, I would be more concerned about country coaches putting kids from their local towns into squads than ITC kids. It seemst that the coaches get together and say, "if you put my kid in I'll put yours in." Funny how the last couple of picks always end up being from Mavs or the same town as the coaches

Reply #62910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From a coaches point of view, to go with the proven and known or to go out on a limb for the unknown, that is the question.
Answer, you go with the known unless something bloody outstanding comes along.
Playing at championships is different to playing in your local league and you get no second chance.

Reply #62932 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

Teams

But remember the forum's rules

"Please try to avoid naming players who are under the age of 18, unless they have played at a higher level (AIS, ABL, etc)."

Reply #62935 | Report this post

Graeme_LeBroy  
Years ago

Ahhh the 2002 Country Cup!!! Many of beers had there. Oh and Bungey giving the finger to a female referee friend of mine.... and then he wondered why she T'd him up!!! Comedy Gold Tour

Reply #62937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you actually stop and look at the facts here instead of making up theories, the U16 boys dont have any players from the home associations of the coaches involved. And yes I consider both Kelton and McKeen to be extremely high quality coaches.

But whats that old saying?
"Never let the facts get in the way of a good story"

Reply #62939 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

what do people think of the team that has been selected for 18's

Reply #62940 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

I love these threads. Testosterone filled young men, trying to get themselves named! All the best, fellas.

Reply #62941 | Report this post

BMG  
Years ago

hey sorry to burst your bubble but i have nothing to do with any of the state teams so i was not trying to get my name or anyones name mentioned

Reply #62943 | Report this post

shotgun  
Years ago

any one know what has happened to Steph Balman. she palyed ABL for South Adelaide last season while in under 16s and she was in SA country.

Now she would be in under 18s and I see she is not in SA country, did she try out and not make it, is she still playing for south?

Reply #62947 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

She should have got in!! She tried out but didnt make it. It sucks. She is a very talented player SAC is definately rigged!!!!

She will be playing this season im sure. Not sure what team but she will be one to watch for Im sure

Reply #62953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its easy just go to the towns where the state coaches are thats the hot tip isnt it

Reply #62960 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

how about people stop being so buy bagging things and put your opinion forward on what kids you think will make a real go out of the opportunty they are being given.....

Reply #63417 | Report this post

mullet-31  
Years ago

i seeriously think tht steph should of gotten in ive jus came bak frm albury nd if we had her in our team, we would of cained up but the coaches put players in tht didnt kno wat they were doing it would have been a big help if they took her, she really does kno how to play basketball!!! we ended up coming 5th but if we had here im sure we would have been in the finals a couple of shitty players let us down

Reply #67184 | Report this post

who???  
Years ago

riight

Reply #70707 | Report this post

who???  
Years ago

who was i the u 18 team that shouldn't have ben mr vc fan????

Reply #70708 | Report this post

who???  
Years ago

yep thets what i thought

Reply #70709 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:05 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754