Mott the Hoople
Years ago

Basketball and the Media

Just watched the news on Nine. No mention of basketball scores from last night, which leads me to think, what comes first. A sports popularity which leads to news-worthiness or news-worthiness that leads to its popularity. One of those chicken and egg things.

Do the media really believe people are more interested in the Power and Crows going on xmas break than footage of the 2OT game with Bucks and Spurs where Bogut scored the winning basket? They probably are due to the conditioning they have had over the years. It would be interesting to see basketball get the same coverage as fotball for a while to see if interest in basketball picked up. At least over Summer.

The old story of a crowd attracts a crowd.

Topic #5537 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Sunrise this morning showed footage of Bogut hitting the game winner as well as the Sixers v Tigers.

Reply #62832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem (for some) with Channel 9 news is that it is "local" you know the saying "Yeah, we're local" that they have on their ads and promotions etc. Therefore their news items are prioritised by local activities and events - things that they believe directly effect SA. I did a thesis on their news bulletins at uni and basically the only local sport they covered was football and cricket - football was a huge focus even in the off-season. News stations have a list of categories to determine how "news worthy" a story is - based on their viewer popularity and ratings. And unforunately, like most things news shows are run like a business - always trying to make the most amount of money through selling advertising spots during their show! That's why they always have the big stories at the start to bring in lots of viewers! Unfortunately Kevin Crease, Rob Kelvin and good old Georgina (along with all the crew that put the stories together) for some reason think that how fit a footballer is in the off season is more "newsworthy" then the the 36'ers metting the Tigers. Maybe someone should tell them that if they ran a segment on basketball - say every wednesday night - similar to the one's they run with cornes or blight - and promoted it well, they would have an extra 10,000 people or more tune in! (All 6's fans of course!) And you may never know - if the sixers new that a big proportion of the basketball community would be watching that show - then they might even do some TV advertising! Channel 9 - "yeah, we're local" - well start acting like it!

Reply #62851 | Report this post

MM  
Years ago

While stuck in traffic last night, I was listening to KG & Cornsey and a caller spoke of Boguts game and described the "shot" to win. Cornsey really didn't give a shit and the night before someone called about FTA for basketball and Cornsey made the statement " Basketball has run it's course!!!!"
If these sports presenter don't care about the game and are not willing to get it out there, what hope do we have. Who cares if a footy player runs faster than the rest of his team in December ,worry about that sh*t between March and September.
It's just a pain, that we have a young kid playing in the toughest league in the world and doing a bloody good job it and all we hear are 5 second highlights. Meanwhile a footballer can't fart without having a camera in his face and it making front page of the paper.

Reply #62852 | Report this post

Mott the Hoople  
Years ago

I was thinking more in the general sense, that football has that saturation coverage. No matter what station or sport segment, there's football, every time, every season.

Reply #62853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

you were stuck in traffic....in Adelaide?

Reply #62876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's the same old story MM how many of our "stars" in different sports are more well known overseas than they are here.

Reply #62877 | Report this post

MM  
Years ago

"stuck in traffic" I had to wait for 2 sets of lights on South road to cross an intersection

Reply #62894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The world poker tour & championship bass fishing gets more free to air than basketball, sad sad times.

Reply #62951 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

As a taxi driver, I can assure you the traffic is very heavy during the day at the moment.

Might have something to do with Sunday :)

Reply #62952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its Chris McDermott with Cornsey at the moment and I am sure it was Chris that was baggin basketball.

Reply #62956 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Chris Mcdermott? He is usually pretty open minded to things like this.
Cornesy is the dumbass who is so stuck in his ways.
KG is the same the old todger!
You call to voice your views and they lament you!

Reply #62971 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:50 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754