opposition leader
Years ago

Do they need a coach

Look ive never been a huge fan of Phil smyth but hes the coach and hes had good success. However the disrespect a couple of players showed to him was amazing. His timeout when they were three down was really clear and really good. If they score at the foul line just hold the ball and get the split although he was one out on the split. Then not only did they shoot it straight after the foul shots but then shot it again after that. I was dumb founded that players could be so stupid and not to mention disregarding thier coaches decision. I think the only thing worse than that was melbourne not knowing the split and only slipping in because of adelaide stupidity. What the hell went through their heads...........obviously not the coaches instructions. Very dissapointing.

Topic #5539 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

All this talk about winning the series against the tigers is a waste of time. I don't know why Smyth was so worried about it. Fact is they needed to win the game to have any chance of even finishing close to the Tigers come the end of season. The series result is only important if the two team finish on the same W-L record. For that to happen the Tigers need to lose four more games than us for the rest of the season - no chance!

Reply #62838 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

Exactly. And for Smyth to use the words "that's a win for us" if we lose the game by under 7 was just plain embarassing. Who's he kidding?

Reply #62880 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

You can bag Phil all you want for this, but I think it was smart. They either could've gone for it all, lose by 9 or 10 and throw the series away, or held for the series win. I know they dont have it anyway now but thats the players fault not Phil's so lets not blame him. If anyone is to be singled out it should be Farley for shooting that 3.

Reply #62908 | Report this post

Doctor E  
Years ago

twenty four, what was the point in getting the series win over the Tigers?

Reply #62914 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

incase we string some wins, or the tigers loose. Having the possibility of that option is better than not having it at all. The game was lost, whats the point in not having the series? it just keeps the door a jar should something happen.

Reply #62944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"All this talk about winning the series against the tigers is a waste of time. I don't know why Smyth was so worried about it. Fact is they needed to win the game to have any chance of even finishing close to the Tigers come the end of season. The series result is only important if the two team finish on the same W-L record."

Thats all well & good, & likely true, but these were not the coaches instructions. If these guys dont follow their coaches instructions then their year is over anyway.

Reply #62949 | Report this post

opposition leader  
Years ago

amen anon

Reply #62962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed players should follow coaches instructions. But I think this thread is really asking why the coach was issuing those seemingly pointless and incorrect instructions.

Reply #62994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh, and another thing - I think this also raises the question again about whether cameras and microphones should be allowed at timeouts. If they weren't none of this talk would have occured.

Also - what the hell was Steve Carfino doing telling D-Mac what Smyth said about him in their timeout - this shouldn't be allowed to happen

Reply #62995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

twenty-four is right.

IT IS NOT i repeat, NOT A GOOD IDEA TO TRY TO WIN 7PTS DOWN! WIN THE SERIES INSTEAD!!!!!

i always seem to agree with twenty-four...

Reply #63004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Teams have won after being down more than seven with that much time on the clock before! Had Maher's three dropped t was game on.

There was NO POINT i repeat, NO POINT IN JUST WINNING THE SERIES WITHOUT WINNING THE GAME TOO

Reply #63131 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:00 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754