Isaac
Years ago

Funny Basketball Academy update

Hi guys, here's a great update on what's happening with the Academy courtesy of Scott Ninnis:

---

I just wanted to take a few minutes to bring everyone up to speed with the progress of the Academy.

The process has taken slightly longer than anticipated, but the dealings we have had with all interested factions, namely BASA, 36ers, SASI, the State League Clubs, as well as the potential players, while extremely positive, has been a time consuming exercise.

Firstly, we have had to change the name from the South Australian Basketball Academy to the Adelaide Basketball Academy. BASA felt that the SA part of the name was too close to theirs and requested we substitute it with "Adelaide". A minor detail, as we will have a naming rights sponsor that will substitute for the SA or Adelaide anyway, but time consuming nonetheless.

Two weeks ago, we met with the potential players and made a presentation about the Academy to them. Those in attendance were:

Adam Benson - Sturt
Adam Blight - South
Eric Burdon -North
Brenton Campbell - Forestville
Chris Clausen - Centrals
Ben Evans - West
Brad Gerlach - Southern
Jarrod Graves - Woodville
Nick Hambour - North
Bronson Kies - North
Thomas McKenzie - South
Marcus Ng - Woodville
Brad Sullivan - Forestville
Matt Sutton - Forestville
Andrew Webber - Norwood
Michael Zorich - North

Also invited, but unable to attend were Andrew Puttifoot and Brad Bungey. Others we are considering are Ashley Nitschke (Norwood) who was uncontactable at the time of meeting, and A.I.S players returning to Adelaide at the end of the season. Joe Ingles (Southern) is unavailable for consideration because of his involvement with SASI.

The criteria for selecting the team is as follows:

Body type and athleticism;
Skills and potential;
2004 ABA statistics; and
Coachability and character.

Obviously, we need to decide what overrides what and why eg., A kid with great potential may only play limited minutes in a very good team.

We will be selecting a squad of 16 players, aged 18 to 23 years with the intention of having at least one player from each state league club.

As with South Australian teams throughout the years, we have many outstanding guards and these selections will prove extremely difficult with some very good players possibly going to miss out.

Earlier last week, I emailed all players to find out their interest and their work / study commitments so we can start formulating times for team trainings, individual sessions, strength and conditioning and additional off court sessions.

The team will be selected and announced next week (barring anymore unforseen delays).

Our intention to run the Academy in a very professional and thorough way has resulted in some delays which I apologise for, however, we are convinced it will be worthwhile in the end. Our overall objective is simple: To help improve the quality and standard of basketball in South Australia, whilst developing a future player-base for the 36ers.

I look forward to answering any questions, criticisms or suggestions anyone may have.

Thank you for your support.
Scott Ninnis

Topic #560 | Report this topic

Moses Guthrie  
Years ago

Is there any thought to running this group as a squad during the summer season? I know this would cause major conflict with ABL clubs but there would be nothing like the players being prepared during the week, and then the coaches being able to follow through in a game situation. Is food for thought - consider the AIS competing as a side already in their own right and it's not out of left field.

Reply #5154 | Report this post

FarViewer  
Years ago

Good news Scott and thank you for providing the update.

1) Any confirmed names of assistant coaches yet? and/or maybe are the 36rs going to guest appear and coach as well??

2) Is the Academy being run as a part of BASA or on behalf of BASA? and are players covered by any Insurances in case of injury etc?

Best Wishes to all involved to make this a success!!

Reply #5159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

best thing for SA Bball in years...

Reply #5221 | Report this post

unknown  
Years ago

jst wondering who pick these players. not that there bad or anything.

Reply #5234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When will the 16 players be named and will they be named on this forum?

Reply #5313 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The update suggests that they will be announced before Friday, and I think we can expect an update on this forum.

Reply #5316 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

Quote "Earlier last week, I emailed all players to find out their interest and their work / study commitments so we can start formulating times for team trainings, individual sessions, strength and conditioning and additional off court sessions" Unquote

I was wondering when are they going to have time to train with the Club. If a player plays in an age group and ABL that is at least 3 trainings and 2 games per week when are they going to fit this in???

Reply #5490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Team trainings will predominantly be held early mornings and individuals scheduled around commitments.
As most of activity will be in NBL season then ABA commitments shouldnt figure too strongly as ABA season isnt on.

Reply #5491 | Report this post

Kingman  
Years ago

Anon.
So the Academy is only going to run during the NBL Season just 6 months of the year???

Reply #5495 | Report this post

POPALOPOFVICH  
Years ago

This might be old news but have they finalised the list yet

Reply #6069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When are they going to name the squad!!!!??

I heard it was going to be early this week!...

Well its now MID week! What's going on!?

Reply #6308 | Report this post

FarViewer  
Years ago

I reiterate my previous sincere compliments and enthusiasm for this brilliant venture, but I am yet to see precisley who and what the Academy is viz:

Everything written about the Academy gives the implied perception and impression that IT IS BASA's and/or run under the auspices of BASA's LEGAL umbrella, control or authority. BUT is not the Academy a privately run, free- enterprise venture/company owned by Scott N, Paul B and/or others?? What is BASA giving away, donating or funding as the 36ers are deemed the beneficiaries?

I eluded to this in an earlier post, trying to understand exactly WHY sponsors were needed, what funds were required for, and if BASA or the clubs needed to spend or donate money and/or court time hire etc. The issues of players training, and possible injury and insurances were also sought so people understand these issues.

Hope someone would clarify into black and white and remove the grey.

Reply #6888 | Report this post

FarViewer  
Years ago

For such a great venture to lift the sport in SA and player's performances for the 36rs, WHERE is all the info for the public and clubs?

Been a meeting last week of the selected "entrants"?? Updates on sponsors? Club's websites also devoid of info? What is going on?

Want public support and dollars, keep people informed and publicicse the hell out of it!! Also, elaborate on points raised in above posts please.

I am sure everyone in the SA basketball community wants it to achieve, but at present seems to be mummified and gagged.

Reply #7605 | Report this post

jack  
Years ago

In all the writings and correspondence there is one stark omission. Who's 'brain child' was it, who initiated it, who is the backbone (esp. wrt coaching .. ask the players), and who's name never seems to be mentioned ........
RICK CASTLE of course. ( who said there was no politics in SA Basketball)

Reply #31029 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:01 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754