ifeelsore
Years ago

NYE concept

After attending my first NYE game I was glad the Sixers came away with the win and therefore had a good night (not their best game, lack lustre but good to get the win). Being a little older now and not wanting to rush off to some raging party we thought we would hang around for the interviews, however we found ourselves watching kids have autographs by some of the players and after an hour not one interview. I thought a few quick interviews when the players first came out would have kept more [older] people there and interested as the kids looked like they were having a great time. By the time they got around to interview anyone there wouldn't have been any players there!! We left leaving a little disappointed that the promise of interviews "in a short time" didn't happen. Did they ever happen???

Topic #5629 | Report this topic

Thomo  
Years ago

On another note this must have been one of the most well attended NYE games that i can remember

who knows what the attendance was i reckon it was one of the better attended games at the dome this season

Cheers

Reply #63587 | Report this post

Joe Morgenstern  
Years ago

Between 4800 and 5300

Reply #63590 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

looked more then that i would have thought 5500 plus

Reply #63591 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

I guess the sixers are trying to save money but go back 5 or more years and NYE was huge at the 'Powerhouse'.

Live music, players up on stage joinng in, the 'Lightning' girls doing a number or two.

Reply #63595 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

The game was great..a solid win with some reasonable "D"
(at last)
The After Game celebrations were very disapointing, having atended 3 and 4 years ago..last night was a non event..no..there were not any interviews...the DJ did NOTHING to entice people to the floor, the lighting left on high put an end to any kind of atmosphere.

The statement was made "this is lame"

We wont be back for next years "event"

Reply #63597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hello!!!!!
This is not the States with the traditional Christmas Day Or Thanksgiving Days games that have been an institution for years.
This is Australia where we want to spend these holidays with our families and mates.
Yes, I know the New Years games were sellouts (emphasis on the WERE sellouts!) but enough is enough!!

Reply #63598 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

if they get it right it would be the biggest indoor NYE party in town.

Reply #63599 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

They wonder people won't come to the games. People are starting to learn that basketball in SA don't deliver enough. Also lets not get to carried away with the win because it was the bottom side.

Reply #63616 | Report this post

dora  
Years ago

I DONT REALLY LIKE HAVING A GAME ON NEW YEARS EVE EVERY YEAR BUT IF WE HAVE TO HAVE ONE LETS HAVE AN EARLIER START AND FORGET THE AUTOGRAPH SESSION AND GET STRAIGHT DOWN TO MUSIC AND PARTYING TO BRING IN THE NEW YEAR.
AT THE MOMENT THE GAME FINISHES ABOUT 10.30 WE WAIT AROUND FOR ABOUT AN HOUR FOR THE AUTOGRAPHS SO DOESNT LEAVE MUCH TIME TO REALLY ENJOY THE MUSIC AND MAYBE A BIT OF DANCING.IF THEY GOT STRAIGHT TO THE PARTY AFTER THE GAME WE COULD ENJOY IT FROM SAY 10.30 TILL MAYBE 1AM OR 1.30AM.

Reply #63639 | Report this post

what the  
Years ago

i remember going to the first NYE game - v perth and ricky grace led us a merry dance - it was a sell out 7,500 - 8,000 with an after party

it is an ok idea

Reply #63716 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

I've been at every NYE game, and it all started well enough, the entertainment in the first couple of years be the old 5aa All Stars, then slowly the level of entertainment has slid down to lower levels (no offence meant to Bonz and his band - but not really setting the world on fire with people wanting to attend!). I took the preferred option of coming home to play PS2 on my own than attend what promised to be yet another lame event.

Need a good big name band, forget the interviews, just get into a good party, let the guys mingle for the party

Reply #63721 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

I have now been to 4 hope we are not scheduled with another one 2006/07. I love my b/b but spoils a good night as has already been mentioned have to wait too long for anything to happed and the atmosphere is lost.(if there was any) Heard lots of complaints about lining up for tickets then lining up again to get in. Need more competent ticket sellers(an adult can purchase his child a ticket) and the turnstyles to work.

Reply #63848 | Report this post

crudeboy  
Years ago

As the was my first NYE game I have attended, I was unsure what to expect.

I have heard lots of good things about previous years, so I was really looking forward to it - and was really disappointed.

It looked like no effort went into it apart from rolling out carpet and hiring a DJ- but to not have the player interviews - and to play the music so loud so early - it really alienated a lot of people.

C'mon sixers - this should be the biggest night of the year and from a marketing point of view it was disgusting.

You should organise something for the kids to do - settup mini Basketball rings, hook up a X-Box to the big screen, have the reverse bungee thing they had a couple of weeks ago

For the adults, make sure the player interviews are done (preferably not by the guy who did the interviews at the Beach Party - snore fest!) Make the drinks, nibbles and food cheap and easy to access - don't play the music too loud (not until later anyway).

This is a unique feature that the sixers have and they need to capitalise on it as the have the perfect facilities - they have the perfect venue, undercover, crowds already there and safe - where else can you New Years and feel safe with your kids running around wild?

The only positive thing was that most players made a real effort to sign lots of Autographs

Reply #63852 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:30 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754