BLAZER
Years ago

Willie or Dusty???

Just curious.

If you had to choose between Willie or Dusty, who would you keep and why?

There has been a number of posts regarding these two stars and if one import is enough.

As much as I like to see Willie playing for Adelaide, I would choose Dusty to stay. This is not because either is better than the other (almost sound like a parent chosing which child...), just that I think the guard positions with current players can be compensated better than the sixers inside game.

Dusty can play eother 3,4 or 5 while Willie is a 2 that can play 1 if needed, but is best at 2.

I don't want to see either leave Adelaide as they are a great duo.

Just interested.

Topic #5658 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

definatley Willie to stay his flare for the game gets people interested that really dont understand the in's and out's of the game the same reason people went to watch trimmingham,Isaac Burton and even Billy fikes just to see what they will do next there athletehism is what some people want to see

Reply #63920 | Report this post

Joe Morgenstern  
Years ago

Agree with post # 63920

Willy is exciting and entertaining and marketable, he is what will potentially bring fans through the door to watch the game of basketball.

At this point, what do the Sixer need to succussed? I would suggest that Willy is the more viable commodity between the two. Oscar Forman, Jacob Holmes, and mark Nash can all play the 4 spot and have experience now to compete in the play offs. Brad Hill is going to be a good player but he virtually is only a rookie still and come play off time is he going to be able to get 15 point and 5 assists a night?

Dusty is a very good player and in now way a sledge against him but Willy would be the one I would keep if it was a contest between the two.

Reply #63924 | Report this post

Izzy  
Years ago

I think anyone who knows the game would keep Dusty.

Reply #63927 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Exactly Izzy!

Reply #63940 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

All good points for each player.

Man, I'd hate to be in the position to have to choose. Either way, you'll be hated.

Reply #63944 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Tough call. Only because of the team makeup (so many forwards) and his showmanship, I'd be inclined to keep Willie of the two. Hill is our only other guard besides Maher and he's still raw. Dusty is up against Jacob and Oscar who are just as young, cheaper and limited to 5 under the points cap. And then add Nash who is pretty useful given his cost.

If I was starting from scratch or handling a major reshuffling of the team, it might be a different story. Sometimes, Willie drops his head or the team doesn't feed him properly, while Dusty is a bit more single-minded about just getting it done.

That said, sometimes I wonder if Dusty doesn't need to get away from basketball completely for a couple of months and go on a holiday. On Christmas Day he did mention that he was looking at splitting his off-season between playing and holidaying, so that would help him IMO.

Reply #63945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Farley is aa maher kind of player. He also gives confidence to others, Dusty does the 1% and often people don't notice him but when they look up on the scorboard and see his name with 20 points.

he does well in rebounds and good for a forward in assists.

The sixers need both imports.

Reply #63946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many people do you think that actually go to game really know basketball that well familys that go mum and dad might not know the first about the game but there kids will want to go and watch Willie dunk on some one or hit a game winner

Reply #63947 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

dusty ofcourse, he cares for win first and last. makes players around him better and at the same time is one of the most difficult forwards in the league to guard. plays both ends and does the dirty stuff. i dont care what farley does for the fans, isnt it about the ball?

farley is expendable dusty isnt.

Reply #63950 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

why dont you like farley undersized pf?

Reply #63952 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

coz hes a selfish slinger who only cares about getting a reacion from the crowd by placing his hand by his ear. while hes doing that dusty is winning us games.

Reply #63955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the crowd is the 'extra player' home game advantage

that is for FARLEY

Reply #63957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something happened... Adl V WSR

Dusty got a tech against him...

not like him is it?

Was it out of fustration on the team not doing well or what. Dusty usually accepts it no matter how bad or good the call is.
Maybe with all the fustration he just burst.

Also the game was unlike the sixers.

People say adelaide is too weak. Against Sydney and Melbourne yes but i think the sixers way is more efficient and when finals come the sixers won't be as tired or hurt.

Screw the people who say the sixers can't win the ring because of being 'too weak'

Reply #63961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

undersizedpf is one of those 'uneducated' supporters. SAD really. He passes many times. Your just blaming the sixers woes on the star player! You can't do that! It's stupid, unknowledgable and it just the easy blame way out. You don't know basketball if you are always going to blame star players.

Farley selfish? USPF,idiot...

Reply #63970 | Report this post

Since farley is locked in with his contract, I'd say maybe try a new import at the end of this season. Dusty's a great player and all, but it's just not working atm.

Reply #63971 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

You would have to go with Willie. While Dusty gets it done, our team needs talls and BLAZER, I don't Dusty is athletic enough to play the 3, and not tall enough to play the 5. He is a undersized 4 man, and seeming we lack height, would we not rather have a big centre in place of Rychart, and have either Forman or Coop at the four instead of replacing one of the most exciting players with just another 2 guard?

Reply #63973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

twenty-four agreed but look, dusty is good

Maybe your all wrong!

Replace coops or rees+nash with maybe a better centre...

we have holmes, hill, maher, farley at his position and forman's a good forward. maybe that's the way to go?

Reply #63978 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

I was under the impression the Tech was for a second delay of game warning (I believe Jacob) earned the first delay of game warning.

AS for Dusty or Willie, I'll probably get shot down for this but I think in every game there are 'cheap baskets' now it takes a certain player to be in the right place/situation to get these baskets, and I feel it is generally the Forwards that benefit most from the cheap basket scenario's (ie dusty, redhage, cattalini) now don't get me wrong I'm not saying they are just cheap basket players but I'm saying sometimes forwards can put up big numbers but some of those points could easily be scored by any other decent nbl player in the league, given the oppurtunity.

Someone like Cam Rigby shouldnt get an nbl gig, but does and gets points how? cheap baskets, be in the right place for the rebound and you have a somewhat easy put back.

Someone like ronaldson should never score more than around 10 a game, yet he does.

Dusty is brilliant at doing this and this makes him a great player, however is it worth throwing a import spot to someone whose game revolves around that? Especially when there are so many aussies who can do the same thing, Jacob although undersize, I feel would get similar numbers to Dusty thrown in the same situation.

I'm sure there will be many that disagree, but that's my thoughts my choice keep Willie.

Reply #63980 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

anon (#63970) this thread is about willie or dusty . im saying i want dusty over farley. i think any REAL fan gets annoyed at farleys lack of defense and shot selection. whos blaming anyone, im saying its a team game and as much as you want farley above the team. the team is responsible for everything that happens

Reply #63982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i go to every game and knows everyplayer in the nbl and plays club b-ball

who knows basketball? NOT U!

Let's TIMEOUT this debate

Reply #63984 | Report this post

Undersized Pf  
Years ago

so exactly your a fanboy, not knowledgeable. thats fine, theres room in the bball world for people like u.

DONE

Reply #63987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

GIVE ME A BREAK YOU DUMB IMBOSOLE

(Mod: Dictionary for Christmas 2006...)

Reply #63990 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

settle down kids

Reply #63992 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

From a marketing point of view I would definetly go with Farley. But Dusty gets the job done week in week out without doing the flashy stuff. To be more consistent I would definetly go with Dusty. I tend to agree tho that with Willie still contracted for another season maybe let Dusty and Coops go and look at getting a strong centre player. Oscar is ready to start IMO and could take the 4 spot.

Reply #64004 | Report this post

yogee  
Years ago

If I had to make the decision.....

Ideally I would keep both..but if forced to make a decision, I would be tempted to go for Dusty.

He does the 1% stuff, and just is there for the team, doesnt care about his numbers.

I'm not saying Willie neccesarily is, but he is an import guard, and the nature of that position means you HAVE to be somewhat selfish when it comes to your stats. Its what puts the money on the table.

Also having said that, I think Willie would get picked up sooner than Dusty (once again because guards seem to be more expendable than Forwards)

Reply #64012 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

You wont find a harder working, better team man than Dusty Rychart, let alone an import that will fit in any system and play what ever role you give him. If you only knew the story behind how he has gotten to where he is today and through what he has had to achieve along the way just to gain respect, then you would never question or even comprehend getting rid of him. Even when he is having a sub par night he will still achieve 15 and 5 for the team, and has been one of the more consistent imports in the league over his existance. These sorts of debats dont do anything for anyone, cos the same sorts of arguments im sure could be made for Willie, but all i know is that if i could recruit 10 D-Rych's to my team id be winning the championship most years. Im sure he will kick my ass for saying this, but this debate doesnt do any good!

Reply #64071 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

You wouldn't find many that would dispute that at all - I think he's a bigger part of the team (filling offensive gaps) than he's given credit for. I have looked at it purely from a perspective of roster make-up with this team, not who remembers to buy the toilet paper in your share house! Just kidding.

I do think it's an interesting topic as useless as it is, and would hate to think that either of them would take it personally and think of it as a criticism of their ability. Or anything to do with how my Sportal fantasy team has been doing... (crap).

Reply #64074 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

If Dusty is in negotiations for a multi year deal, then there is a place for him on the team. As Farley is already contracted to play another year, then why are we having this debate at all. The truth of the matter is that they are both required.

Reply #64077 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

Just because he is having negotiations doesnt mean he will be coming back. If the Sixers lowball him, dont just expect him to hang around here on a sub par salary.

A couple of NBL teams are currently interested in him.

Reply #64081 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

I know that having negotiations doesn't mean he will be back but my understanding of this thread is that people give an opinion on who we should let go. The club is not considering letting go of either at the moment so its a fruitless debate. If either of them go it will be Dusty simply because he is out of contract.

Reply #64101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It would have to be Dusty
A hard working, non flashy team player
Heaven forbit we would want one of those.
Thats what appeals to fans who know what the sport is about.

Offer Dusty the world and hope he stays

Reply #64120 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

"Offer Dusty the world and hope he stays"

-- I think at the moment he's been offered Suriname.. with maybe Bahrain thrown in as a signing bonus. ;)

Reply #64121 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

My apologies. I didn't want the initial post to be a reflection which player is better. Just interested in a previous post regarding cutting players etc.

I did say that I would keep Dusty, but both players together are awesome, how many teams have 3 league MVP candidates performing consitently?

Reply #64138 | Report this post

Take Luck  
Years ago

keep dusty, can always get a flashy 1 or 2. hard to find a decent tall player

Reply #64243 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:32 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754