diverite
Years ago

Basketball participation: some interesting stats

A thread was on here not long ago asking about Stat's on Participation rate for Basketball. As I have a Masters Degree in Stat's, I have access to ABS stat's. Dr Dunkenstein asked the question (I think) so I hope this give you an answer. All Stat's are from 2004 as the 2005 are not ready yet and all figures are rounded to the nearest 100.

Number of people who participate in Basketball: 508,000.

By Gender - Male: 335,500. Female: 172,500.

By Age: 15-24 yr, 325,900 (11.7% of total age population); 25-34 yr, 92,600 (3.1%); 35-44 yr, 51,100 (1.8%); 45-54 yr, 32,500 (1.2%); 55-64 yr, 4,400 (0.2); 65 yr+, 500 (0.0)

Now here is the interesting Stat that shows how many people are playing ball in this country but not playing in an organised competition. Playing Organised ball - 301,700 (59.4%); Playing Non-Organised ball - 203,300 (40.6%).

In South Australia the total number of people playing basketball - 51,500; Males - 30,500; Females - 21,000.

Somne of these figures might be hard to believe, but the ABS figures are very reliable.

Topic #5697 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

Ok, if you are close to the source can you answer a question for me?

The ABS rates swimming as a much bigger participant sport than basketball and always has. Does the research differentiate between organised (club) swimming and non organised (turn up to the pool for a dip swimming)?

My problem with the "stats" is that it often appears that if you put your toe in the pool you are a swimmer and therefore a participant, if you shoot a single hoop for the past year that does not make you a basketball though.

How do ABS get around these sort of anomalies?

Reply #64440 | Report this post

Hangin Round  
Years ago

Yo Ho, good point. If I do a bomb off Henley jetty and swim to the ladder, am I classified as a swimmer? What about all of those school kids at lunch time shooting hoops. Do they count? Not many schools have kids swimming during lunch.

Reply #64448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if you bomb off henley jetty you a committing a crime and you cant swim inside yattala

Reply #64490 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

diverite - thanks. That's the answer i was after!

Reply #64642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ABS stat's are accurate to 95% which is high in anycase.

Yes the ABS research differentiate between organised and non organised sports and the ABS have stat's on both. As we are not swimmers, we will talk basketball. Organised ball be a person who plays in a competition (Club, Social, etc) and would pay some sort of fee to participate. Non organised might be someone who shoots hoops for fun, plays down the local court etc. If some is classed as Organised they can not be classed as non organsied.

If you do a bomb off Henley Jetty and swim back you will not be classed as a swimmer, you will be classed as an idiot :)

Reply #64841 | Report this post

jessica adnams  
Years ago

i am currently doing an assignment for year twelve physical education on the particpation rates of both males and females participating in basketball in australia. is there any chance that some satistics can be put out for me to be able to use in my assignment. any other basketball information that you may think is relevant would also be appreciated.
thankyou

Reply #188488 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

I wonder where we are placed , then. 508,000 is that more than aussie rules or soccer and rugby?

Reply #188491 | Report this post

bbgun  
Years ago

jessica adnams,
Try the Australian or State Government Sport Departments and the Bureau of Stats, I'm sure they keep these types of figures somewhere.

Reply #188578 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:04 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754