Redback
Years ago

Newley vs Farley

2004/05. crocs sign brad newley as a rookie and get a 16 ppg livewire who is named as both rookie of the year and best sixth man, as well as all-star mvp. 2005/06, people whisper about a sophomore slump but newley lifts to 19 ppg and adds 5 rebounds and 4 assists.

2004/05. adelaide see the return of willie farley for 24 ppg and an mvp contender. 2005/06, farley averages 19 ppg, 4 rebounds and 4 assists.

farley hasnt scored more than 20 points since round 11. newley's last 6 games have been 27, 24, 25, 8, 26, 34 - adding big assist counts too.

imagine that instead of laying down significant cash and using an import spot on farley, that the sixers had pursued newley properly, promising him a good future. he'd have been cheaper in the first two years, saving the club more than six figures. he'd be limited to 5 under the points cap. and he'd give adelaide the freedom of an open import spot, for a starting centre or a point guard to back up maher on the cheap.

newley might be an nba prospect, but it's not guaranteed and it might not even happen for a few years if it does at all. whats stopping farley from heading home too?

Topic #5698 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes you think. Even if he made it to NBA or Europe you could just sign Farley or another import then.

Reply #64451 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Would have been a gamble replacing CT in the starting line-up with a rookie from the AIS but boy would it have paid off!

As you note Redback, Newley's stats this season are similar to Farley's plus we would have cash and a further import spot to burn.

However, similar arguments could no doubt be made re Brad Hill.

Give Brad Hill 40 minutes and 20 shots a game and he would get us 19 points a game also and we would have Farley's salary and import spot available.

Farley is clearly one of the best imports in the league but we have Hill and hopefully Ingles next season as emerging talents at the off-guard position.

Difficult call but assuming Farley wasn't signed for next season which of the following three changes would you make if you were GM:

1. Farley for Ingles and Schenscher
2. Farley for Ingles and import big man
3. Farley for Ingles and Newley

Reply #64458 | Report this post

booga  
Years ago

what position do u think would fit Ingles next season

Reply #64468 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

bench

Reply #64472 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

is he signed or is all this talk based on everyone assuming he will come to the 36ers.

Reply #64484 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

indication was given in our interview with CEO that he had a contract in place for next season

Reply #64495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Your CEO is telling porky pies!

Reply #64504 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At a game earlier this season, I seen Joe in a sixers polo standing in the players race. Not much I know, but I would be highly suprised if he wasn't in a sixers uniform next season.

Reply #64516 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

maybe he was telling lies but it was straight from the horses mouth

Reply #64523 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was this our previous CEO or our new one?

Reply #64524 | Report this post

Stephon  
Years ago

Previous CEO didn't say that Ingles was definitely signed for next season.

Only that Ingles had been approached and an offer made.

Will be interesting to see whether the 36ers actually sign Ingles for next season and not let him be an addition to the list of those that got away.

I haven't seen Ingles play since he left for the AIS but I recall Goorjian raving about Ingles on Bell's radio show speaking about how Ingles had a 'Kukoc' like game.

Reply #64565 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

yep stephon prob read more into it then was said but least he was being proactive about it

btw you at the game stephon this wed ?

also isaac say hello i was shouting at ya last game lol

Reply #64579 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:23 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754