Panther
Years ago

All Basketball fans

For all you old school fans out there currently on the nba.com website they are doing some tributes to All-Star memories and the video footage on there at the moment is the 1988 dunk off between Nique and Jordan, it still gives me shivers when watching it!

Topic #5728 | Report this topic

Bizzy  
Years ago

It will never cease to amaze me that they only gave Nique at 45 for that Huge 2 hand windmill. That dunk was insane.

Not many ppl know that Jordan actually missed his 1st attempt at the free throw line dunk that year.

Reply #64735 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I agree, that 2 hander from Nique was bigger than the 4 dunks preceeding it and only got 45, but to be fair neither of those guys dunks were a patch on the onces Vince threw down to win in 2000.

Of the three dunks Jordan made I would describe 2 of them (excluding the foul line) as game dunks, the type of things Le Bron or Wade do whenever they're on the break, and that first dunk frmo Nique was massive but the level of difficulty wasn't that high by today's standards, he basically threw it off the back board, jumped ridiculously high, caught it 2 hands and dunked it with 1. That's it, no spin, no through the legs, no double pump.

Vince's 360 windmill and throught the legs from the T-Mac bounce are streets ahead of those '88 dunks.

Reply #64738 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

That 1st dunk from Nique was insane, what do you mean it wasn't difficult? Did you see where he caught it? He bent at the hips and threw it down.

Reply #64740 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Billo, it's probably blasphemy for those that grew up in that era, but I do agree re Carter. Jordan finishing with a 50 after Wilkins only got 45 for the windmill is pretty ridiculous.

A couple of the best and most memorable have been Vince's 360 windmill and Harold Miner with that massive pump reverse IMO.

Reply #64743 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Billo,

I'm not disputing the fact that what Carter (and Harold Miner) did was unbelievable but I just think that Nique's dunk was a little more difficult than you thought. I was suprised MJ got a 2nd 50 considering he had done the same foul line dunk in the 2nd round, I have a feeling it was due to the fact he cocked the ball back and kicked his legs around.

Reply #64744 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Isaac what was that reversal called by Miner ? was it rock the cradle?

My favourite named dunk was the "east bay funk dunk" , i think that was the made famous by JR Rider one where you put it between your legs in the air and crammed it .

Reply #64745 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

The "East Bay Funk Dunk" as Isiah Rider (JR Rider) called it was a dunk that has been copied many a time now but he was one of the first to go between his legs in the air and slam it home. VC has used it (100 times better), Kobe, Desmond Mason used it and called it "show it right, slam it left" and J Rich has also used it. Props to Rider for being original.

Reply #64747 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think the rock the cradle was that little semi-windmill Jordan used to do when he'd pull it down to his waist, go left, then right and around to dunk.

If we're talking dunk names, someone's gotta start listing those from the former Professor of Interplanetary Funkmanship, and partner to Juicy Lucy, hailing from the Planet Lovetron, Darryl "Chocolate Thunder" Dawkins:

Chocolate Thunder Flying, Robinzine Crying, Teeth Shaking, Glass Breaking, Rump Roasting, Bun Toasting, Wham Bam, Glass Breaker I Am Jam
In-Your-Face Disgrace
Go-Rilla Dunk
Earthquaker Shaker
Candy Slam
Dunk You Very Much
Look Out Below
Yo Mamma
Sexophonic
Turbo Delight
Rim Wrecker
Greyhound Bus (went coast-to-coast)
Cover Your Head
Spine Chiller Supreme

Reply #64748 | Report this post

Matt Ryan  
Years ago

The "Chocolate-Thunder-Flying, Robinzine-Crying, Teeth-Shaking, Glass-Breaking, Rump-Roasting, Bun-Toasting, Wham-Bam, Glass-Breaker-I-Am-Jam" is the one where he actually shattered the backboard in Kansas City!

Awesome dunk!

Reply #64755 | Report this post

All of Dawkins's dunks are exactly the same though...

And billo, Carter's dunks may of been better... 12 years later. Josh Smith dunks were a lot better than Carters as well, every year the bar gets raised. They were huge for their time.

And you can't tell me than Jordan couldn't of easily done all of Vince's dunks if he had the ideas.

Reply #64756 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

what ever happened to plain old "slam dunk" or "jammin' time".

Ha-Ha.

Reply #64757 | Report this post

BLAZER  
Years ago

those were the days...

Reply #64758 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I always had a bit of a soft spot for Spud Webb's effort whenever that was. The one that particularly sticks in my mind is where he's standing at the foul line, facing away from the basket, and then bounces it between his legs, off the board and then goes up and gets it. It was creative and impressive for a little dude.

Funny thing is, and it's the same for guys like Kenny "Sky" Walker: I have no recollection about their actual game. What did their jumpshots look like? Could they guard anyone? Did they even get on the court?

Reply #64760 | Report this post

Bigcountry  
Years ago

not many of the modern day dunkers actually jump off one foot any more they get all their power and height from jumping off two feet Nique's dunk was unbeleivable for its time i would like to see someone try and replicate it same as the foul line dunk

Reply #64765 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

ELG, I agree with you. Jordan could have done any one of Vince, Miner or Smith's dunks in his prime. The reason why these guys did such crazy dunks is because Jordan and Nique pushed what was seen as creative to a new level.

At the time when Jordan and Nique were in dunk comps, what they were doing was way beyond anything anyone else had done.

Reply #64785 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

While Jordan was clearly a better player than Carter I stand by my guns that Vince is a better dunker and IMO the best dunker the NBA's seen.

Bizzy, I also stand by my earlier comment about Nique's first dunk after rewatching it just now, it was relatively simple dunk executed exceptionally well.

ELG, I'm not sure I agree that Josh Smith's dunks were a lot better than Carters, but I do agree that like any sport the bar has been raised and what Nique and Jordan did was amazing at the time.

Reply #64794 | Report this post

Smith's 360 windmill was far better than Carter's. Carter wins for style points, but Smith wins for pure almost jumping too far and missing the ring. And that windmill was insane.

But whatever.

Reply #64795 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

"Oh between his legs, how bout it"

"That might have been the best dunk I've ever seen, that was aweseome!"

Reply #64815 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

Josh Smith back to back dunk comp winner this year? i think so!

Reply #64836 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Smith's dunks can be seen at http://www.nba.com/allstar2005/rising_stars/top_dunks.html

while Carter's 2000 win along with all other comps in history can be seen at http://www.nba.com/history/allstar/slam_dunk_video.html

I prefer Carter's 360 windmill over Smith but that's just me, the way he throws it straight down in unreal.

Reply #64844 | Report this post

D-Lin  
Years ago

Bo Hamburger,

I don't recollect Spud ever doing the through the legs off the board dunk, the first time I saw it was Kenny Smith when he was playing for Sacramento. I know Spud did a "one hand bounce off the board one hand dunk" that was pretty impressive.

Reply #64868 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Carters Dunks from the 2000 dunk comp are up on the memorable All Star moments on nba.com

Reply #65068 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I remember this dude from Portland (Kersey??) who did a nice little statue of Liberty slam while spinning 360. Looked very nice if anyone knows the year I could find the photo

Reply #65232 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:07 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754