Aunt Manya
Years ago

Newley News - Hoopshype

http://www.hoopshype.com/rumors.htm

Check out this link to one of the most respected basketball sites in the world. It has two articles on it from the Townsville Bulletin about the possibility of Newsley getting drafted next year.

Topic #5732 | Report this topic

Joe Morgenstern  
Years ago

They are the same quotes that were on nbl.com today (10th of January)

Reply #64791 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Here's the article. Source: townsvillebulletin.news.com.au

BRAD Newley's playing days in Australia are numbered, according to two of the National Basketball League's longest serving coaches.

Sydney Kings and Australian Boomers coach Brian Goorjian along with Newley's Townsville coach Ian Stacker are convinced the 20-year-old will be drafted into the National Basketball Association at season's end.

Newley attracted major interest from NBA club the Los Angeles Clippers last season, the franchise sending out a talent scout to watch him play in three matches, while he also gained considerable attention at the Under-22 World Championships playing for Australia in Argentina last year.

Stacker said that since the August tournament, the Crocs had been contacted by numerous NBA franchises, including the Clippers, Houston, San Antonio, Toronto and Milwaukee, requesting vision of the 199cm shooting guard in action.

The nine-season NBL mentor also said he expected one of the clubs to send a player scout to Australia before the end of the 2005/06 season.

"My personal opinion is that he will be drafted," Stacker said. "The interest in him from NBA clubs has been significant in that they have requested DVDs of him playing and many already saw him play in the World Championships in Argentina where he was rated as one of the top two guards there."

Goorjian, who will likely coach Newley at the Commonwealth Games in March, said the South Australian was being watched very closely.

"It would not surprise me if he was a first round draft pick because I think he is a guy that has NBA potential, not just to be on a roster," he said.

"He's got it all, it's just what he does with it and where he takes it."

While Newley is contracted to the Crocodiles until the end of the 2006/07 season, it is believed he is free to break the contract if he enters himself in the draft.

And Stacker and Goorjian are convinced the advances Newley has made on his game and as a person will make him attractive pick up for any NBA club.

After a slow start to the season, which sometimes saw him struggle with the added scrutiny from media and fans, as well as the extra pressure applied by opposition on the playing court, Newley has shone in the past six rounds.

From being known as an almost exclusive scorer, Newley has shown he is a more than capable defender and provider for his team mates.

"He was treated differently by fans, other guards in the league, the media and even me as a coach had greater expectations on him," Stacker said of Newley's start to the season.

"Mentally, he is much stronger, he is always working on his skills as a player and he has grown as a person and as a player ... Newls has taken the right fork in the road every time, which always puts him on track."

Reply #64792 | Report this post

Bosco  
Years ago

If you goto www.nbadraft.net, they have the latest mock draft up and Brads name doesnt appear anywhere. This site is run by NBA scouts and has been very accurate in years gone bye. Interesting!

Reply #64798 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

I tend to agree with Bosco, but on the other hand maybe some team are hoping to do what the Clippers did with Korelev (spelling) in the last draft, or what the Pistons did with H2O all those years ago. Mouth shut, don't spread the hype type of thing.

I guess he really has to nominate before he'll get a serious look in on mock draft boards.

Reply #64810 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Manya, it might be a respected site, but they're regurgitating what the Townsville paper reported so it really comes back to the opinion of Stacker and Goorjian, and how much you rate their ability to pick NBA talent. *shrug*

Reply #64811 | Report this post

Aunt Manya  
Years ago

I think the point your old aunt was making was that the article was listed on a well respected site - a lot of NBA execs read the site because it scans through all the NBA news from that day and highlights the most important stuff. If "Newley News" was on it, than the stories must carry some weight with NBA execs.

Reply #64814 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Aunt, to be honest the only thing that NBA GM's are going to use some regional newspaper from North Queensland is to wipe the ar$e with once the multiple teflon coated, gold shimmer, most hated opposition team emblem $1000 a roll ply crapper paper runs out...(can you imaging in the old Bulls v Knicks rivally, Pat Riley using Chicago Bulls toilet paper to do the business...)

I don't think NBA GM's actually spend much time surfing the web looking at hoopshype, nbadraft, insidehoops etc etc, much better ways to earn their millions. Can you actually see Dumars and Pat Riley rubbing his hands together about what he reads on hoopshype???

Actually the web is where Isiah get his crazy trades and free agent signings from...explains something then.

Reply #64858 | Report this post

Aunt Manya  
Years ago

Two links on HoopsHype in two days...the Newley NBA machine is getting momentum. I think one Sturt Assistant Coach would be getting a little 'movement' over this...hehe

Reply #64887 | Report this post

whatever  
Years ago

If Goorjian and Stacker could pick NBA talent they wouldnt be coaching in the NBL!!!

Reply #64922 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:03 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754