Anonymous
Years ago

State Coaches, what are their requirements

I just would like and few question answered about our State Coaches. Who selects them? Being the first question. Do they have to go through a stringent and cruelling Training or Testing or do you just need a Level 2. And our Our State Coaches the best this State can offer? If they are we are in trouble.
How is it that a State Coach last year had the best Team yet still couldn't bring home Gold. Cut the Bull about the players cause don't they have enough trainings to make sure the team is the one that he/she wants. Coaches should be accountable not just get the gig again cause no one else applied.

Then there is the Coach that keeps on getting "T" but is still back in that spot coaching again this year. May be who ever selects the Coaches should go on a talent search and blood new progreessive talented Coaches.
Surely we must have some great Coaches out there why aren't they given the opportunity to coach a State Team.

Topic #5736 | Report this topic

Bosco  
Years ago

why be a hater? who shouldnt be there?

Reply #64830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ask the state director of Basketball, one of the most repected basketball minds in the country. He selects the coaches, and if you don't know who that is, you don't know enough about basketball to be questioning the selections.

Reply #64831 | Report this post

Interested Coach  
Years ago

If someone was interested in being an assistant coach for one of these state teams, who would we speak to???

Reply #64850 | Report this post

supporter  
Years ago

The coach, initially, and then it would have to be approved by the Coaching Director and the Junior Committee.

Reply #64853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

too late for assistants. Most have already been picked

Reply #64855 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Surely this is where up and coming coaches could learn and become excellent coaches???

again, how do you find out who's coaching what year level to ask the coach to be their assistant???

These things don't seem highly publicised until after the coaching staff have been appointed... how do you break in?

Reply #64863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would suggest that you talk mto your clubs coaching director about becoming involved at SASI level.

Then you will be able to not only work with the players that have been earmarked as potential elite players but also those coaches who are willing to put in the extra time to help them.

Finally, make sure that you have some results to backup your complaints/requests.

The coaches that get State coaching postition have a long history of winning at junior and senior level. As well as having had a numbe of players under their guidance having gone on to higher level play.

Reply #64882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the assistants for the under 18 boys this year?

Reply #64895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also an a requirment to swear at kids and also get Techs from umpires through Championships. Especially at an Under 16 level.

Reply #64897 | Report this post

greenback  
Years ago

The main requirements is to bring Neil breakfast in bed

Reply #64901 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And yes Neil, yes Neil.

Reply #64905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe it is to Medal at National Championships and the Classics as well as winning State Championships.

Reply #64916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very good and congrats but what about at State level - or haven't we got the players or the right choice of players

Reply #64924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can anyone please let me know if the State Coaching Director is on a contract or is it an ongoing position?

Who is he employed by? I assume it would be either Basketball SA or SASI.

Reply #64927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

govt - SASI

Reply #64932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So does that make it like most other govt jobs?

Because if it does its probably not good for the government to be getting involved in performance measurement / assesment of sporting coaches.

Once you get a govt job they cant sack you unless you really do something negligent or illegal. I wonder if this is the case with the State Coaching Director? Not saying Neil is doing a bad job because I really wouldnt know, just saying that the process may be flawed.

Reply #64936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AFAIK - his job is still under the AIS boss, ie he can review the job. But i'm also of the understanding our basketball boss is respected as the 2nd top (junior) basketball mind in Aus only behind the AIS big boss.

Reply #64940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3 out of the 4 of the current U/18 and U/16 coaches have all won medals at National Championhips.

That does not meamn that they will win them every year or even this year. Becasue States with much larger players bases and more competitive competitions are also trying to win.

Plus the fact that you are dealing with young players who are bound to have the odd bad game, which can happen at anytime and medals are not guarenteed for anybody.

The State coaching director is probably has the highest credentials in the country. As well as consistantly producing more AIS players per population than any other State as well as overall better results than any other state except Victoria which has 10 times as many players playing.

Reply #64941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I raised the question of employment as it concerns me that someone in that position (not specifically Neil, but anyone in that kind of role) is not more accountable.

It concerns me that that person can hold onto their job essentially until they die regardless of whether it is anyones best interests becuase "that is the way it has always been" which we all know is BA's motto.

I would be very interested to read his Job Description.

Reply #64944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

have you looked for it on the SASI site?

Reply #64948 | Report this post

Indianq  
Years ago

Who would want the job(coaching Director) anyway...your on a hiding to nothing if the above comments are anything to go by.
I find it hard to believe that people dont know the process for getting a state job.
And I can tell you its bloody hard to win a national flag these days.

Reply #64955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is just a big boys club and unless you know someone or suck up the right ass, you will go no where.

Reply #64956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac - i think we need a sour grapes icon, to go along with the basketball icon. Or would it lose its value in the # of posts that would be 'graped?'

Reply #64960 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

What rubbish.
Get out and do the extra two to three commitments per week, learn from the best, and then apply. No coaching director is going to pick the second or third best coach. Neil gliddon only wants results!

Reply #64961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well anon #64960,

What are your credentials? Or better still, put up the credentials of somebody who you think should have gotten the State job ahead of one of the people who did get the job.

Put up or shut up!

Reply #64962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well anon #64960,

What are your credentials? Or better still, put up the credentials of somebody who you think should have gotten the State job ahead of one of the people who did get the job.

Put up or shut up!

Reply #64963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think you got the wrong number pal.

Reply #64965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

64956, state coaching jobs are not the most sort after roles that probably explains why these guys are in there. They do tend to work there arses off and have been around for a long time and been dedicated. Unless you can do better or are prepared to do the work for virtually no rewards then shutup

Reply #64970 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry that was anon # 94956

Reply #64972 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

A good abl coach gets 5k.
State coach 0!!!

Reply #64979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ABL Coaches get at least 7K.. Good ones up to 15K...

Reply #64983 | Report this post

Indiana  
Years ago

And state coaches still zippo!!

Reply #64986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have they been appointed yet? Or is this person just going on what they have heard?

Reply #64992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

State Coaches for 2006

U16 Girls Marc Wallis
U18 Girls Damien Weeks
U20 Women Chris Lucas
U16 Boys Paul Mesecke
U18 Boys Scott Loveday
U20 Men Richard Hill

Reply #64997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How long has it been since a female was the Head Coach of a State Team?

I believe Tracy York was, but who else?

Reply #65012 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

State coaches may get zippo but they get free travel, free food and a bloody great party for a week. Not bad for fairly minimal training sessions I would say!!!

Its a great bid party and booze up for them. I know because Ive been there

Reply #65017 | Report this post

interested Coach  
Years ago

Have the assistant coaches been choosen say for the U16 boys??????

Do we talk to Mesecke direct?????

Reply #65041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

plus there are four country position for those of you who keep thinking state equals metro

Reply #65044 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably best to givce the head coachesd a call and try your luck.

Reply #65049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see Paul Meseke coaching state again he is a real asset. Pity about Paul Arnie. The rules ain't the same with the Girls - no matter what happens, same old, same old coaches. Maybe try the girl Arnie. Good Luck Girls

Reply #65053 | Report this post

SB  
Years ago

anon #65017,

It ain't no party mate. It's enjoyable and challenging but it's incredibly hard work. Basically all the waking hours of coaches, assistants and managers are either playing, preparing to play, travelling, eating, preparing to eat, scouting or watching tape.

Every now and then for a couple of hours, you get to relax, but there's always something that has to be done. We stay up most of the night breaking down tape and preparing future opponents.

It is without a doubt the most stressful thing that I have done. When you return from a Championship you basically crash for a couple of days, and normally you get some kind of illness as well.

As far as the lead-up, your week-ends are basically gone for the 5 months leading up to it as these trainings come on top of all your other basketball commitments. Ask anyone who coaches ABL and State how tough it is, it is murder!

I don't know what State trip you were on, but you certainly weren't on any of mine!

Still it's worth doing!

Reply #65058 | Report this post

crudeboy  
Years ago

I love to know where all this time for extra State training is going to come from.

I dug up my old SASI diary from 10 odd years ago, and here was a typical week - and I assume current state players are still doing a similar sort of thing

Sun AM - Junior\Senior District Training (3-4 hours)
Sun PM - State Training (2 hours)
Mon PM - Junior District Training (2 hours)
Tues AM - SASI Training (2 hours)
Tues PM - Senior Div 2 Game
Wed PM - Senior Div 1 Game
Thurs PM - SASI Training (1 hour)
Fri PM - Junior District Game
Sat AM - High School Game
Sat AM - State Training (2 hours)
Sat PM - Senior District Training (2 hours)

11 Games/Trainings, plus 3-4 hours weight training, all In A 7 Day Period, all whilst doing Year 12 - no wonder so many good players burn out before they reach 20.

So - not sure how it is possible for coaches/players to fit in any more training.

I can't believe people are knocking State coaches, assistants and managers - from my experience they spent long hours researching, training and planning, spending a lot of time away from there Families and jobs, all for next to no payment.

Reply #65079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

clubs are managing players workloads better. Alot of the coaches have been through similar workloads as players and are smarter now than when u went through. Seniors can wait.

Reply #65082 | Report this post

crudeboy  
Years ago

Thats good to hear - cos I reckon I could name 5 potential NBL players from my era that never made it as they dropped out of basketball before they turned 20 as they were burnt out and sick of playing

Reply #65084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yea it was a strong era in SA Ball

Reply #65085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I absolutel agree with crudeboy (but maybe this deserves another thread?)!

Both timewise and healthwise the number of trainings required is over the top, prticularly for Y12s but also for other juniors involved in District, SASI, State.

Timewise: 24hrs per week including transport is a minimum they can get away with at the moment (that doesn't include school/social games).
My guess is that for over 80% of these kids basketball is never going to be part of their carreer. All of them should be allowed to spend around 40hrs a week on their schoolwork (more in Y12), develop longlasting friendships, deal with their hormonal changes, experiment a bit with relationships, spend time pursuing their other interests and have at leat 10hrs sleep per night. Believe me, with training/game schedules like this, that doesn't fit in a week.

Healthwise: I don't think 16 hrs training/games a week is good for the physical development. When muscles, joints and cartilage don't get the time to recover it can actually cause damage.
Also I believe that there are steep diminishing returns when it goes over 3 trainings and a game a week.

Off my soapbox now.

Reply #65088 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Then that is fine. Make sure you and your kids don't do that much work.

But if you ask Phil Smyth how much basketball he did as a kid it would have been more.

The big problem now a days is that there are multiple coaches who want a slice of each kids time as well as families wanting their child to do more other things. This leads to a large amount of time "lost" in travel time.

Basketball and sport in general are great teachers of all those things above.

But if you are interested in being an elite level athlete then sacrifices and compromises need to be made.

Reply #65089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah, or you could make all those sacrifices and end up the 11th player by a decision of a coach who is busy looking after his own Club!

Reply #65090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just because you don't make the team this year doesn't mena that you won't improve enough to make the team in a year or two. If you arne't willing to take that chance, then you will never make it in the future.

Reply #65095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was a sour reply #65089!

I'd like us to talk about the benefits of putting in these hours, both for these juniors *and* for SA basketball.

As crudeboy said, there was a lot of burnout back then, but there is still lot of that happening now.
Shrugging your shoulders and telling us these drop-outs didn't have the attitude required isn't necessarily the best response for the quality of basketball in the state. One could wonder whether the training programs could be better balanced to keep these talents on board, so that they will develop further after Y12.

As you say,
"The big problem now a days is that there are multiple coaches who want a slice of each kids time"

Yes, and it leads to inefficient use of everyones time (players, coaches, parents) because of dimishing returns. Just hoping the coaches are aware of that, and willing to discuss the issue!

Reply #65097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sour grapes. Just the facts of life.

Reply #65100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Training starts in Late February early March why not just have it Sundays, Not Saturday and Sunday even if it is a bit longer on Sunday. Or maybe a Full day camp and Teams can bond etc. with Trails Games, just like Under 20 Boys this year. It is the Total commitment for such a LONG time that is hard. You do ALL this training no life and then cut and the last minutes. Wonder why next year you don't front up.

Reply #65104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again, if you don't see the benefit of the extra training and commitment will have in the long term then don't go out.

But understand that those players that are able to deal wqith the adversity of missing selection and continue to make the commitment often become the best players.

Reply #65112 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Indeed. In fact, Brad Newley was a state reserve 3 times (bottom age 16s in Qld, top age 16s in SA, bottom age 18s in SA) before he ever made a state side. Joe Ingles is another who improved a great deal after missing state as a bottom age U18. Brad Gerlach was a reserve as a top age U18, and his basketball took off soon after that. He averaged 15ppg in ABL the year after, and made the U20 state side two years later.

When a player goes through such a time & effort consuming precedure, only to just miss out, it really outlines their true character. Some people fall by the wayside, others work hard to ensure it doesn't happen again.

Reply #65115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Other people like Scott Ninnis, Matt Illman, Paul Rogers and Nathan Hawkes did not make State until U/20's.

Probably only just missed out, but seems like it confirmed their resolve to keep working hard on their game and too improve.

Reply #65117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Possibly they were replacements for players that were lost through burnout? (Having not suffered burn out themselves between 15 and 18, because they didn't need to meet the exorbitant requirements at that age.)

I still wonder whether we're actually selecting the best players this way...

Reply #65121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Were still doing the same amount of work as then other as they were often reserve players in State teams!

Generally players don't go on to the next level because senior teams don't give young guys a chance. They sit on the end of the bench and don't improve.

Reply #65123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And we are all talking about blokes. Who are the girls that have missed out and then come out shining on the other side?

I bet you the answer is none!

Mind you that seems to be the way of it, no one gives a crap about the girls.

Reply #65130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

perhaps its because there haven't been as many girls willing to continue playing ball past the 18's level without excelling.

Reply #65142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And add on top of this the country kids who travel to town play metro for a club. (many at a young age) Then need to stay in touch over christmas holidays with an individual program to go to Albury in late Januaury and play a major tournament. They have no break at all. I sit there and watch kids burn out before my eyes.

Smyth makes the NBL players have 4 weeks off at the end of season, and they are not allowed in a stadium let alone touch a ball. What about our kids????????

Is there any common sense out there?

Reply #65148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

OK everyone, no trials and no training, no form, 1st 10 to rock up at a certain place and time makes the team!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get over yourselves.
Anyone who has been there will tell you all the hard work is warranted if the team is to succeed at this level. If a team doesnt its not through lack of effort, more the lack of talent for that particular year.
Individuals do gripe at the amount of work load but most will do it because they know, not to, will give their rival(team mate, opposition, etc)an edge over them, thus making them look under done or worst, selected in state team ahead of them.

Reply #65152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ur obviously coach. u would be the last to find out about all the over training.

Reply #65153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course elite athletes need to train, and train hard. However no-one benefits from them overtraining.

Many of the junior elite players do not make it to senior level. It is a pattern and happens in many sports. The reason: burnout through overtraining.

Overtraining of juniors is a reality, and training requirement for adolecents have increased dramatically over the last 15 years.

IMO current training schedules for juniors involved in district+SASI+State basketball lead to overtraining and burnout.

The second best, non-burnt out players will become the senior top athletes

Reply #65163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

25 years ago at Sturt if you played state you didnt have to train on Sunday or mid week, during the lead up to a championship. Can you see that happening now???? And yes back in those days SA metro won a lot of Gold medals.

Reply #65164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Actually Sturt have done this and similar for their players. Senior commitments and junior trainings are managed for their State players.

Point in case that two of their U/18 girls last year played div 1 over summer, reserves through winter and had mid-week trainnigs off.

Also a couple of years ago when Dodman was in U/16's. Their was 6 state players. After the classics they did not train on Sundays until after the Nationals.

Reply #65176 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I think you might most Clubs look after their kids regarding training management through this demanding time in their basketball careers.

Reply #65178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably more likely is that there are not enough spots for players to move into higher levels.

With the better players having 10 year careers. There are not a lot of spots for up and coming players. Only the best get through.

Reply #65191 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Dont agree, A lot of great playe make state granted, but a lot who kiss ass do as well.

Reply #65199 | Report this post

crudeboy  
Years ago

I will never forget my SASI tour of the US - we spanked all of the teams that were our age group. Why? the US system does not focus on 14-16 year olds - they start working on them when they are slightly older, when they have matured up, they have career paths in mind, know the stakes, are other puberty and generally smarter.

From that trip with two mens teams (20 odd players from memeory), only two guys every made it properly into the NBL - Pero and Jason Williams --- now is that a stat that Neil Gliddon would be proud of? Scary thing - he probably is proud of that - Never mind what happened to the rest, and never mind the same number made it without him.

Hey - I might be 10 years out of date and been out the junior basketball circles for about the same time and things have probably changed - but look at the AFL, look at US Sports - they do not push and pressure 14-15 year olds like we pressure our junior basketballers.

As been pointed in several posts here - a lot of NBL players did not make State until U18's or u20's - so that means they were better players than them that either dropped out or skills never expanded in there late teenage years.

Looking back, State was one of the best experiences of my teenage life, and it was well worth not having a social life and almost failing high school. C'mon, these kids (and coaches) sacrifice a lot to be part of state - stop trying to take this away from them by shit canning results, coaches, player selection and amount of training - let them enjoy it - cos trust me, everyone involved is 100% comitted and have worked hard to get there

Reply #65209 | Report this post

opposition leader  
Years ago

state coaching is easy according to many people on here maybe we should all do it then take turns in bagging each other. I dont think anyone can pretend to know what it takes or the pressures associated until weve been there. So for christ sake shut up and get off peoples cases. Like they said put up or shut up.

Reply #65213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again crudeboy,

The simple facts are that there are not that many spots in the NBL each year for all of our elite juniors to move into.

If a club can produce 1 every 5 years they are doing better than most.

Reply #65227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What I don't understand:
What is the reasoning behind pushing our 14-18 year olds to the limit (and over it)? Everyone involved in junior State teams should know by now that we are losing valuable players that way!

As has been said earlier on this forum, that kind of pressure is not applied in AFL or in US basketball. Why do it?

Reply #65235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys,
I think you will find that football at state junior level is just as competative. Ask someone who has been involved and they will soon tell you that it is.

Reply #65249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Getting back to the coaches qualifications...

If you look at these guys formal qualifications, years of playing and/or experience, success, elite level experience etc. What do you think there hourly rate should be if there was an equivalent corporate type position. I would think a state coach should get paid $200 - $250 per hour. Now I know its just a hobby but what is travesty is that BASA / SASI / Government cannot find a way to adequately compensate State Junior Coaches.

Reply #65262 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

200 - 250 per hour? I don't think so.

Reply #65289 | Report this post

Aunt Manya  
Years ago

$200 - $250 an hour

At that rate I could be the second weathlist person in Adelaide behind Isaac by the end of the Junior Basketball Season.

He and I can drag our matching red Ferraris down King William St on weekends, waving to our millionaire friends sipping their lattes at Kibbi's Cafe.

Reply #65307 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

I think who ever put that rate on here thinks very highly of themselves.

Reply #65314 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

Thats for sure. n They get a free week of accomodation travel, and food and they love it!!!! Its party party party

Reply #65327 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

I'd love just one State Coach to come on here (with some way proving its really them) and tell us their truth about what state involves.

If they confirm its party party party, then i'll ride a barrel off Waterfall Gully!

I admit i could never cut the mustard with State, so why can't others who have trialled and not come up the goods.

The HATERS out there in basketball land are just as bad as the LOVERS!

Has anyone noticed that the HATERS who have posted are mainly anonymous...?

I hide behind an alias, but at least people can look me up on my comments and identify me in some way.

If i bag someone, then people know it's me, not "anonymous". Don't bag someone without a continous alias - it just proves you aren't willing to semi-publically face up to your comments.

If anyone refers to the start of this thread, they'll see i'm curious as to what are the requirements of State Coaches, so i don't think i can be accused of being one-sided either.

Other posters need to make up their own minds.

Reply #65345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pickles Housemate,

I think you'll find "SB" of post #65058 is an ex-state coach. Lucky for you, you won't be riding a barrel off Waterfall Gully.

Reply #65360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pickls House,

You should know that some, not ALL Coaches and Powers to be, hold grudges and don't take criticism at all well. So why would you screw up your chances and put your name to what you know is true. It is just airing your point of view with no drawbacks.

Reply #65361 | Report this post

Doddobird  
Years ago

Every talks about Neil Gliddon here. Who are better people in SA or Australia you can replace him with? John Gillies has a good job but is someone who comes to mind and then for me the list ends. Go ask Neil about a player from a TI(div 1 & 2) camp and I bet you he can remembers him.

Reply #65394 | Report this post

ell45  
Years ago

pickles housemate the country players/coaches left sat morning but if you wait a week or so you will get the whole troth on what it takes to be a state coach. I think after a week of coaching an living with the players they will be ready to spill the beans on anything

Reply #65463 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:43 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754