Bizzy
Years ago

NBA Comparisons

Just thought I'd drum up a bit of a debate about past and present NBA players. Would the NBA's best around the 88-92 era beat todays best? Or would the oldies perform a whitewash on the new-comers?

For arguments sake below would be my two 10 man teams. Feel free to add any changes.

88-92
PG - Magic Johnson - Arguably one of the best PG ever. Pure Class
SG - MJ - God. Enough said.
SF - Larry Bird - One of the highest bball IQs ever.
PF - Charles Barkley - Just one tough customer.
C - Hakeem The Dream - easily one of the best centres in league history.

Bench
PG - John Stockton - Cheap shot king but still a damn good player
SG - Clyde Drexler - One of the most explosive players
SF - Scottie Pippen - Hall of Famer
PF - Karl Malone - Very dominant
C - David Robinson - The Admiral insane player.

Tough to miss out - Mullin, Brad Daugherty

Today
PG - Steve Nash - Well rounded PG
SG - Kobe Bryant - Although he doesn't pass much still easily the best scorer
SF - T-Mac - Even with the back injuries still awesome to watch
PF - Tim Duncan - One of the more dominant big men of this era
C - Shaq - Purely because he is still able to dominate

Bench
PG - Jason Kidd - Trible double threat every night
SG - AI - Similar to Kobe but passing a lot more nowadays
SF - Lebron - Could argue he should be starting but still very dominant
PF - KG - So athletic for his height
C - Big Ben - currently with the limited amount of C's and Ben playing some good ball he gets the spot.

Tough to miss out - D-Wade, VC

Your thoughts.....

Topic #5741 | Report this topic

Panther  
Years ago

I think it would be a fairly close match with the Oldies just getting up. The only concern for the oldies is that the current players probably have a better bench than what the oldies do.

Reply #64920 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

You really think better bench for the new guys?

IMO Stock v Kidd would be very close but I think Stock had a slightly higher bball IQ.

I think Clyde would probably get beaten by AI but you just never know The Glide in his prime was pretty outstanding.

Pippen v Lebron now that's a great match up. I personally think that Pip could shut down Bron which would cause Lebron to force up shots while Pip would just let the game come to him.

I think KG would be the Mailman purely because of the height and athlethic ability.

As much as I am a Wallace fan I think the Admiral would beat him.

Reply #64923 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Use the original dream team vs todays usa team as a guide.

Oldies win easy, all they would have to do is get the ball to MJ and nobody would stop him.

If they did cut his pathe to the bucket hit gets it to Larry for the 3.

Reply #64929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wheres Ewing? i would have had him in front of robinson at that time.

Reply #64931 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Robinson won an MVP, scoring title and defensive player of the year in the mid 90's, but around 92 Ewing may have been just ahead of The Admiral. Hard for me to say that. Robinson made me a Spurs fan.

Reply #64938 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Kent, how can you use that as a comparison? Today's dream team consists of third team ranked players! The best players either couldn't be f@$*ed or were having off season surgery (or in court on rape charges!!!).
Bizzy, I have to disagree with you on the bench comparison. I would take Kidd over Stockton any day. Even you said in your original post that Kidd averages almost a triple double every night!
AI is definitely a better scorer than Drexler but Drexler is bigger.
I am Pips number one fan but I don't see him shutting down Lebron the way he shut down Magic. Lebron winning that battle.
I think the last two positions were it comes down to it. KG and Malone, now there's a match up Malone's got more muscle but KG's taller and more athletic. Who wins...who knows!
I think the centre position would be one by Robinson but only just. Wallace isn't much of a scorer but he could definitely do a job on Robinson defensively, but saying that David would still out score Big bad Ben.

Reply #64939 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Just for something a little different im going to DISAGREE with you Panther !

I think Pippen in his prime would have shut down LeBron easily. LeBron can be forced into low percentage shots (turn around fadeaways mostly) and Pippen had the right kind of size,speed and most importantly SMARTS to do it .

I have watched a lot of LeBron this year and he gets a lot of open shots because he pushes the ball up the floor so quickly. I think Pippen would stay with him and make it too tough.

Reply #64945 | Report this post

52-Cans  
Years ago

This is an interesting topic, basically you're putting up the Dream Team, a team that won every game by 40+, a team that was all chemistry, the best team ever....

Then you have a bunch of stars with mass egos just thrown in to make a team... Look at the 2004 Olympics, the team you made Bizzy would play something like that unless Nash was on for the whole game. Honestly, the Old team would just walk all over the new team by around 25 points. No contest!

Reply #64947 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Cans, the team I chose was the best players in the league in that era same with the current stars.

Do people think that the players of the era above (88-92ish) are better/worse than the current players?

I'd say better, they were more about the love of the game and the team as oppose to the razzle dazzle arrogance of todays players. (of course some from both eras don't fit into that stereotype)

Reply #64951 | Report this post

Skyhook  
Years ago

Defense wins games too , the old schoolers would keep the new guys to under 100pts!

Also the old guys were better shooters i think . Fundamentals were important back then to those guys.

Reply #64985 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I think the current guys would win in a pretty close match, but to be fair most of the 88-92 vintage are into their 40's by now!!

Reply #64994 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

The old guys for me - plus they were so much more fun to watch! I remember watching the bball on a sunday morning - Lakers V Celtics with Magic, Worthy and co against Larry, Mchale, Parish etc etc. Back then they all played for the team - doing whatever was needed to win. These days some players just seem to concerned about personal stats and looking good for when its contract time

Reply #64995 | Report this post

m dizzle  
Years ago

T-Mac starts over Lebron?

The way he's travelling id go as far as saying Olajuwan has a stronger back!

Reply #65000 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

Old timers for me. bball smarts can win a game over pumped up players anyday. totaly difernt game styles back then. more team oriented and pass first now its all a big show(but i love the show)

Only concern is whos gonna guard iverson?? Magic @ Stockton would get left behind.

MJ would score 40 and all the others would teach the new kids a lesson.

Shaq v hakeem would be nice to see also. pure power v more finess.

ONE THINGS GUARENTEED THE NEW KIDS WOULD SEE THE HOOK SHOT COME BACK INTO PLAY. hakkeem and magic money in the bank all night.

Reply #65001 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

M dizzle is right, there is no way lebron is not starting in the current best 5. Id also probably have garnett ahead of duncan in the starting 5. Old timers would pump them i reckon. I cant see a matchup that will be won by the new age players.

Reply #65004 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Duncan and KG as massively athletic talls would cause a lot of headaches for the shorter Barkley/Malone. If there is any disparity in the teams, that is probably it.

But given the match ups, can't go past the old guys, just thoughts of the Magic - Bird - Jordan combo sends shivers down the spine... As long as those guys don't miss too many shots, won't need to cough up too many boards to the young guys!

Reply #65223 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Old School would win, simply because they relied more on skill, basketball IQ and heart more than todays NBA players exception TD, Nash, KG, Kidd

Reply #65239 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:18 am, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754