Rookie
Years ago

Clubs, atmosphere and attitude

After reading many articles and comments about clubs and dissatisfaction that people are experiencing, there are many things that clubs should consider or invest some research in to become effective, friendly and successful.
Meetings at most clubs (as have been told and experienced) are intimidating if you are not a prominent figure in the club itself. Agenda's are not handed previously to all members of the club in order to for people to discuss any issues or concerns. How about invitations to regular meeting's for concerned parents and players, even if it is just to find out what is happening within the club. There are too many secrets that seem to be witheld and if there are, then there is a huge problem. Informing people is the key.
Do any other clubs hand out survey's regarding what people think and would like to see happen within the club, or concerning issues regarding uniform etc?
The face of many clubs are dull, full of attitude and very unwelcoming. I know many people are afraid to approach higher members within their club, and after some occasions, refuse to deal with the club after doing so. Clubs need to be welcoming and friendly, we want to increase participation levels, not decrease them. Even people working at the door can be intimidating for new, even old faces.
Employing JDO's full time, who are qualified is just option to helping the juniors. If someone can dedicate themselves to individuals, training and continual development on a regular basis, it would be most beneficial.
There is more to be said on this issue, but alas, some (most) clubs need to work this out for themself. Time will tell if your club is successful or not.

Topic #582 | Report this topic

unknown  
Years ago

i totally agree with every thing you said then rookie

Reply #5454 | Report this post

Rookie  
Years ago

Reply #5501 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

re: Clubs, atmosphere and attitude (#5501)

Rookie, 01/09/04

<--- that really sums it up well :-)

Reply #5502 | Report this post

Rookie  
Years ago

Sorry people i was meant to write in that second message. COuld people please write a response to my post as i would like to know out of curiosity and interest what other people think. It also may help clubs know that not only I have this perception.
Thankyou Hoop Addict (would love to know who u r... u know who I am) and also unknown.

Reply #5528 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Well, for what it's worth (not being a player, coach or parent), I would say that an open and friendly attitude (or at least the perception of one) would be a huge advantage to a club.

It's funny that you should mention "people at the door" because I have thought in the past that most of those selling tickets at ABL games are rarely all that friendly, but they may be volunteers so it's hard to be critical unless you have another option. Also it's pretty hard to stay interested when you're doing customer service all the time.

I've seen/heard enough to know that there are those within basketball in SA that aren't particularly welcoming, but I've also dealt with people who are fantastic representatives for their clubs (Paul Arnott, everyone I've talked/worked with from Sturt, Bill from Southern, Sue from Eastern, etc).

Surveys are a good idea and with the net/email can reach most people within a club for virtually no outlay. I'd hope that all clubs are using something similar for anonymous (read: unhindered) or personal feedback.

Reply #5538 | Report this post

Yoesemite Sam  
Years ago

Rookie,

from a Southern point of view I know that the image you portray (in your post) may be the Club not listening to the views of their members.

Transparency and the ability to know what is going on outside the committee room are the key to a Clubs success - off the Court

Unfortunately it would seem that the most popular post to date on this forum would be what is happening or not happening at South Adelaide.

Committees must be held accountable for their actions and at times their inaction.

I am all for people who contribute to getting it right both on and off the court.

It isnt a closed shop, it is a group of people committed to one cause, unfortunately some people allow their egos and (perceived) influence get in the way of a generally thankless task.

Information days, communication and allowing/inviting any member to attend a meeting, assist in the otherwise closed process, invite your members and you may find another band of committed people, waiting to have their say but more importantly being able to assist with the process.

End sermon.

Y Sam

Reply #5539 | Report this post

Rookie  
Years ago

I know this sounds pathetic, but why arent people answering my post??
There seems to be many reads, but no comments. Are people too afraid to comment??
Too contentious???
Too controversial??
Don't want to upset anyone??
Don't like change???
I'm not being bitchy, just honest

Reply #5627 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Probably because this type of topic is covered in about 90% of all other threads and posts

Reply #5630 | Report this post

Rookie  
Years ago

Actually i dont think so MW.
Not once have i seen suggestions like this, but instead backstabbing and kicking people when they r down (eg South Adelaide).
Too many people in the basketball are scared to suggest, but not afraid to bag.
Basketball here in SA needs to move upwards and forwards and stop dwelling on the past.

Reply #5639 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

And how will answering any of your posts help SA basketball 'move upwards and forwards'?!

Begging people to reply to your posts will probably not help your cause.

Obviously people are reading the thread, and if they feel it's worthy of a reply, I'm sure they'd do just that.

Begging just makes you look desperate for attention, which could be the case.

Maybe you should just go back to studying.

Reply #5642 | Report this post

Rookie  
Years ago

Gee thanks Hoop Addict.
I wasnt begging people to reply for attention, its just alot of people who have been around basketball, even if they r not involved, don't like the atmosphere or attitudes that many people have, and talk about it to me quite regularly. They have also witnessed this through the site and what goes on.
I meant moving upwards and forwards as beacuse it is obvious that many people who are high up in clubs read the forum and should maybe take alot of what people say on here, into account. They answer things when their club is being put down, yet they dont ask club members about what they think.
I dont need attention, i wasnt asking for it, i just was curious.
And yes i agree, if people think its worthy, then they will answer it.
Anways Hoop Addict, u should be mature than that.
U know so much about me, maybe say it to my face.

Reply #5672 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Fine - I will 'show my maturity' and not comment further apart from to say that if people wanted to comment, they would do it themselves, rather than you 'prompting' (is that better than 'begging'?!) them to do so.

Obviously it's just not a topic people are interested it.

Reply #5686 | Report this post

Mary  
Years ago

Keep up the good work rookie, my guess is that people have not replied out of respect for the hard working people who volunteer their time and effort week after week into maintaining their clubs.

Changing peoples behaviour/attitudes in a club ie stopping 'gatekeeping' requires leadership to drive it and a belief that it is necessary.

In my opinion visibility of our clubs' strategic directions are more often than not what's missing and not communicated to players and supporters. We all should share in the growth of a club.

my five cents.

Reply #5690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think that clubs should involve players other than the div one players. some clubs have huge inconsistancys throught the respect for players. get everyone involved and make it a place where you dont have to be one of the best players to be accepted!

Reply #13641 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:33 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754