Anonymous
Years ago

Boti's Article today

Pull the senior state league comp out of the Australian Basketball Association. It costs about $40,000 a year for the privilege of our league being known as an "ABA Conference". Big deal

WASN'T HE THE ONE THAT PUSHED AND PUSHED FOR US TO BE IN THE ABA?

Topic #5824 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes he was!

Reply #66115 | Report this post

freddy felcher  
Years ago

Yeah he probably was, and rightely so. Its not Boti's fault that BASA cant manage their money....

Also, dont know how many people in SA have been apart of other associations but hopefully addressing the financial mismanagement will eventually bring prices down. To pay to have to watch a social game is RIDICULOUS.... Most other associations dont do it.

Reply #66125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FF, no it's not his fault that BASA are broke, but he did complain about not being in the ABA and said if we were he would give a lot of coverage too it and said $40,000 was a small price to pay for being on the national stage.

Now he has done a complete backflip, but as he is the only basketball guy at the paper, its his view and nobody elses.

I'm getting sick of it.

And for the record, I prefer Isaac's game reviews over Boti's.

Reply #66135 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd give him the concession of the occasional backflip - everyone changes their minds now and then. And you can't tell me that the clubs would make a $40k decision just because of the preference of a journalist?

On game reviews, thanks for the vote of confidence, but Boti's reports are vastly superior. (I think I beat him to getting a book published though!)

Reply #66143 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

When is that book coming out Boti?

Reply #66182 | Report this post

casey  
Years ago

Reply #66217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To not be a part of the ABA will be very sad.... $40k should be managable with restructuring.

It is taking a very big step back for all players in this state.

The problem is - its not the $40k outlay that should be seen as the issue.... it is the professionalism of the league in all areas - such as marketing and overall treating it as a business as the SEABL does instead of thinking it is some amature playground league.

Then the $40k outlay may turn to a rather good profit and a viable business - not to mention a great tool to promote our sport across South Australia metro and regional.

All it takes is a bit of work - rather than pulling the covers over the head and stepping away from things.

Hopefully, we can have the state goverment appointed administrators to be more than willing to ensure all moves are made for the benefit of the sport as well as saving money and making the sport viable again.

Reply #66226 | Report this post

do the numbers  
Years ago

Someone please have a look at the Financial Report from last year and I think you will find it was about $26K to be in the ABA.

This year each club will get 10 basketballs and 28 new Champion playing uniforms plus 28 warm up tops. $26,000 is $2600 per club, a uniform would be $100 to $120 plus $60 for the warm up top and at best $50 per ball. That adds up to around $5000 per club of free stuff from being in the ABA, even if it is $40K we are still better off.

Reply #66363 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

leaving the ABA would be a back would step - why throw the baby out with the bath water.

although i'd love to go back to tues and wed night district games and leave me more time on the weekends to spend with Cherie and visit with Liz & Flip

Reply #66372 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:14 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754