Oldie
Years ago

BEST COURTS

I would have to say the best courts I have ever played on would have to be the Dome, but I can remember when I was younger, I loved to go to Athol Park. Playing for the Bullets in the old days, you would have at least one other team that you could watch and would wait around and cheer you on. Wonderful atmosphere

Next would have to be Forestville, maybe cos I played for them for a while as well as being the home stadium for both the Bullets and the Spurs, many many fond memories.

Worst from the old days would have to be Elizabeth, TOO MANY LINES! as a youngster learning, it was a pain in the butt, horrible seating and no atmosphere.

Living outside of Adelaide, I have not yet tried any of the new courts.

Topic #5846 | Report this topic

Nutwork  
Years ago

If you played for the Bullets you would have to rank Murray Bridge court 1 up there, nice wood, nice spring, i am talking about the original court, not the joke court out the back.

Reply #66287 | Report this post

oldie  
Years ago

Court one in M/B is ok, but the back board at the carpark end is dead. the court is good especially when polished.

Court 3 (the one out the back) was the biggest financial mistake the association ever made. (reminds me of something else). Last time I was there, they were playing roller hockey on the court. What a waste!

Reply #66291 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

i dont know, i guess beause it doesnt get enough spectators, but if it was cleaned up, hook up the sound system and get a full crowd in there it would be awesome! didnt they have an NBL trial game down there once? Maybge it could be used occaisonally for say a southern vs eastern game or something cause if it was packed there would be some awesome atmosphere.

Reply #66295 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

as for best stadiums, forrestville probably best courts to play on, starplex for best facilities (and getting better) and the use of four air-conditioned courts.

Reply #66298 | Report this post

oldie  
Years ago

Back when Bullets had a CBA team, the court was great. When you have no spectators, and no decent games, it is an absolute waste of money

Reply #66302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Easily the best court was the old Forestville stadium court 3. The rings were so low. The best part was trying to dunk in warm ups when you were U14-U18. Love to know the official height of those rings.

Reply #66330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How can you rank the old forestville stadium court 3 higher than the old forestville stadium court 2 anonymous :P Those tram lines were one of the most brilliant ideas around. The complete line being out of court and the dashed line being the line to pass in from as the seating and wall was too close to the court. Haha. And the rings were about the same height as court 3. Ahhhh there was so much character to the old forestville stadium.

Reply #66341 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

sorry i wasnt around then but what were the tram lines all about?? would the court 3 rings have been lower than the barossa court 2 ring down the far end?

Reply #66348 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont know how low the barossa court 2 rings are so I couldnt comment.

Tram lines: The surroundings of the court were too close to each sideline. On the scorers side the spectators feet would be basically on the line. On the other side was a wall from the court 1 stands which was about 10cms away from the sideline. Therefore to allow a player room to pass it in if it went out they painted a dashed line about 1 metre in on both sidelines running the full length of the court. This was the new line that you could pass in from when in bounding a sideline ball. It was an absoloute classic.

Reply #66358 | Report this post

lockstock  
Years ago

One of my old favourites would have to be Morphett Vale Court 2.. not so now the backboards are white, but back in the day when the old clear backboards were there it was always nice to play on. As for worst, my vote goes to St Ives Court 1. Take a charge on that court and you can expect internal bruising for the next 2 weeks, and don't even think about diving on loose balls!

Reply #66386 | Report this post

janx  
Years ago

VC, at F/Ville you inbounded the ball from on the court. There were 2 sets of lines (like tram lines) one being out of court and the other being the imbound line. Right next to the out of court line was a wall.

DOnt know about barossa court 3, the world ends at starplex, I thought, but those forestville Ct3 rings were very low.

PS: I loved the slogans and club banners on the wall at F/Ville. Go Forward with Norwood Rams. Or the inspirational sayings - does anyone remember them???

Reply #66397 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

Janx

The one I remember best was:

Don't let your head get bigger than the ball.

Reply #66400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah court 2 was gold, love smashing into a wall while trying to save a ball from going out of court. You could check someone into the wall, like in ice hockey. But court 3 was always my favourite, remember checking the schedule in U16's hoping for a game there. Loved the nets too, made a wicked sound when you swished a shot. Ahh memories

Reply #66406 | Report this post

janx  
Years ago

I reckon there was one:

More sweat in training, less blood in battle.

Reply #66422 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Isaac, any truth to the rumour the rings were so low at court 3 at forestville that Nino could dunk on them?

Reply #66427 | Report this post

Tce44  
Years ago

F'ville sayings:

Defence is not a rest period.

A rebound in the hand is worth two in the basket.

Reply #66429 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

DC, I don't believe so. Nino is a Forestville chap but I've not even seen him dunk on an 8' ring (last attempt I watched on an 8' school ring ended in perhaps 2-3 injuries).

You might like this selection of photographs I took of Nino "dunking" on centre court at the Dome! It's part of a little poster made for a friend of his and Oscar's.

Take particular note of his inability even with Oscar helping in one of the lower photos.

Reply #66436 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Couldn't you cruel bastards just give him a ladder?

Reply #66441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The courts at St Peters are very good.

Reply #66447 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bowden and The Forum.

Reply #66468 | Report this post

ifeelsore  
Years ago

I remember Forestville too, both as player and spectator. It was such an intimate stadium, spectators close to the action on court 1 - and also the trains going past!

Reply #66474 | Report this post

Its me  
Years ago

Best to play - Appollo Stadium - gave you at least another 10cm (4 inches back then) on your jump - except on Sunday trainings after concerts.

Reply #66577 | Report this post

Its me  
Years ago

Best to play - Appollo Stadium - gave you at least another 10cm (4 inches back then) on your jump - except on Sunday trainings after concerts.

Reply #66578 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

The old sturt court 1 was fantastic,. great floor boards. One of the worst would have to be South court 2.

Reply #66593 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

thanks for the info, sounds like stadiums had a lot more character back in the day. I still think that ring at barossa is one of the lowest going around, i can dunk it and can only just reach other rings! Usually gets a bit lower after the Senior carnival too....

Reply #66777 | Report this post

MR X  
Years ago

Man the best courts are starplex by far for facilities rings courts aricon all four courts are at teh same standard as court 1 minus the big seating up agains teh wall come on ppl a cafe, bistro pool gym there sa theatre hidden by the wall on court four awesume club functions the only thin that can be a drag for some teams is the distance but id rather travel there to play if i lived south of town then from up north here to morphettvale.
The dome is well id say culd go for a new floor the side courts rings are crap for shooting centre court good the only bad thing is if u play centre court tuesday night sitting on the baseline, yes im a lions member and i no doubht will say the elizabeth stadium was a hole wack a burnt out car in there u'd think it was a warzone with all teh craters in the court. just heres a funny thought i had 3 south players say to me and a mate i play with that starplex is a shit hole mmm now anyone who has played at marion raise your hand and you tell me if that place is any better aba games suck to go watch out there and the last one i did we had more centrals supporters then south and thers bugga all seats.

Reply #80274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

personally i like playing and hillcrest, marion and morphett vale, the low roofs, sideline a bit to close for comfort and the shadows you get from the lights but they have character and atmosphere!!

Reply #82565 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:39 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754