Oldie
Years ago

How do we get basketball back on its feet?

I want to know how others think we can get basketball back on its feet.

I reckon we need to :

Get basketball back on free to air TV, that will increase the interest level in the sport. Ok so we get one game of womens leage on TV a week, but lets put it on free to air TV instead of some of the other sports like Golf, Tennis (unless an aussie is playing), and other sports that are much more interesting to watch live.

This might just increase basketballs profile, more people start playing, more subs, more money from the associations, and the sport will be high profile again.

Basketball was very high profile back when it was on TV, not all people can afford Pay TV i know i cant.

Also maybe if the county associations had more to do with BASA the sport would be a lot better financially, as most country associations are doing quite well (note I did say most)

Topic #5848 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

No chance of FTA in the near future - it didn't rate when it was on the up, what has changed?

Nothing much wrong with the sport that millions of dollars wouldn't fix

Reply #66310 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

don't think the tv angle has been tried and tried tv stations are not going to air stuff that isn't going to rate for them they aren't stupid.

when the sixers got replayed late at night was when it was at apollo and the place was sold out - more interest people who wanted to go couldn't and would happily watch at 11 or 12 at night to see the game.

these days we can't even fill or half fill the stadium there are not hoardes missing out on the action they ARE CHOSING NOT to go!!

big difference.

there won't be any quick fixes, but why don't we be proactive.

why not have a hoops forum bbq fundraiser - passionate committed basketball public all putting our money where our mouths are and yes we pay we when we spectate - etc but how many of us on here actually don't pay to play or pay to watch etc? how many of us have spent years in the sport and won through hard work etc the right to free entry (life membership)

if we all tossed in $10.00 a head maybe wouldn't be more than a drop in the ocean to the debt but it is a proactive approach other than our constant hand wringing.

Reply #66319 | Report this post

Oldie  
Years ago

Sounds like a good idea. The biggest problem is for people like me who used to go to the games regularly, but had to move for work and can no longer get there. I would love to be able to go to every home game but it is now a 5 hour drive each way. wasnt so bad when it was only one hour. I would just like to see where the thousands of dollars my family and I have spent on subs, court levies, game entry has gone, it seems like someone up the top is eating all the hard earned money away.

Reply #66325 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Particularly as it relates to basketball in this State, I suggest engaging the services of this person - I mean, she got an A for her work and everything. ;)

Reply #66326 | Report this post

Oldie  
Years ago

Some Minor Calculations

District lets say:
Under 12s 10 teams each with 8 players. = 80 kids.

$200 a season for subs (not sure on figures these days but that I was paying $240 in the 1990's)

200 x 80
= $16,000

$16,000 just for 10 teams, lets go through with 10 teams per sex per age group (u12, u14, u16, u18).

that makes 80 teams

80 teams x 8 players
=640 people

$200 x 640
= $128,000 per year

That is just for subs, let alone tickets for entry.

in my local association before i moved i was paying $6.60 a game, but just incase lets say tickets only cost $3.00 a game.

$3.00x640 = $1,920 per week

18 games a season
$1,920x18
=$34,560 per season

Now lets add it together:

34,560 + $128,000
= $162,560 per season

I am sure my calculations are under estimated, so even if of that money $100,000 goes back into the clubs and associations, renting premisis, electricity etc, there is still $62,560 per season surplus. Just from having 20 teams with 8 players in each age group from u12s, u14, u16, u18.

This doesnt take into account the local comps which also brings in money for the stadiums. Or the tickets sold for 6ers and Fellas games + merchandise

Sorry that was a very long winded calculation

Reply #66327 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

A friend of mine recently informed me that there is another way to get sports on FTA TV.

Ever wondered how sports like Sprint Car racing get on Channel 10?

The sport actually pays for airtime, and sells all of its own advertising to fill the time slot, so you see the sport-specific adds on during the broadcast, like Repco Auto etc.

These events are only on say once a month, but it may be an option for the NBL to pay the ABC or SBS to show games.

Anyone know if Foxtel have an exclusive rights deal, which would rule out the above approach?

Reply #66328 | Report this post

Oldie  
Years ago

thanks Bo Hamburger, But I think I think my dog could do a better job being organised enough to get something done. I hope she referenced the sight when she handed in the paper. it seems she will never succeed when she goes to Uni.

Reply #66335 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

thedoctor, I think the Foxtel deal would preclude that sort of arrangement. Otherwise the Sixers could look to put an abbreviated or full game on Ch 31, sell advertising to cover the time, and use that as a starting point.

There is a lot of junk on TV. Think about the ridiculous shows on late at night, or the 30-60 minute advertisements like Bright Ideas and whatever the newer one is - I'd love to see any sort of sport replace those on air...

For what it's worth, I don't think Rick Burton is very much for the idea of clubs individually brokering their own TV deals due to an outcome of inequality. But many would think that even one or two teams getting a broadcast beats none at all.

Reply #66353 | Report this post

$talks  
Years ago

Oldie

Remember that subs go to the club not BASA. Admittely one of the biggest cost for clubs is hiring courts for training (of which BASA gets some of this) and then there are registration fees etc that BASA collects, but last time I checked clubs were also spending big on ABA players etc.

Reply #66387 | Report this post

tony blair  
Years ago

$talks ABA players shouldn't be attracting big money

the presidents and the clubs realised a few years ago that the comp couldn't afford open chequebook league and introduced a salary cap of $25,000 with no more than $15,000 to the men.

In days past that figure would have been around the $50K for the men alone at some clubs.

Imports are a thing of the past we can't afford it. Lets rebuild the power base then move back.

South Australia has for a long time been the second basketball state behind the Vics. We have produced per head per capita more AIS and Australian players / coaches and referees than any other state.

In Refs alone Geoff Weeks, Carolyn T and Michael Butler have all attended Olympic Games, 1988 Seoul, 2000 Sydney, 1996 Atlanta respectively Mike and Carolyn both attended world championships Oz94 and 1998 respectively. Carolyn has also graced the courts in the WNBA

We have won 4 WNBL and 5 NBL crowns in just under 30 years (4 sixers - 1 Bearcats)

We have to the mix right - our blueprints have worked in the past - a bit of tweaking and reworking and we can do it again.

Realistically - bottom line - IMO most of our problems revolve around the Dome and the high % loan and salary blunders with the sixers over the years.

Our basketball knowledge and how to get there is not really in dispute - If i get time I'll list the south australians that have made it to an olympic games and I'm sure you'll be amazed at how well we actually do on a per head per capita basis!

yes victoria does it better in many ways, but they have so many more people, more buying power, more of a target audience.

Reply #66401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

junior development and lots of it, many clubs are really struggling to get players.......

Reply #66458 | Report this post

charlie  
Years ago

As mentioned previously, you cant build a house by starting with the roof. The foundations need to be set and stable before anything. Focus on the kids in primary schools; grade 4-7 and get a 'sense of community' back into basketball so they feel affiliated with a local club. Logical, practical and workable. The schools would love to have ABL players take clinics, there is an abundance of financial assistance at local council, school and state govt levels and it works.
Build a strong state league and the ABL and NBL will prosper.

Reply #66505 | Report this post

ifeelsore  
Years ago

As someone associated with schools I know that staff love it when clubs come in and do clinics for the kids. It gives kids the opportunity for kids to experience a sport that their teacher may not have any knowledge about but wants to have as part of their curriculum

Reply #66506 | Report this post

Kaz  
Years ago

I fell accross this forum trying to work out how to buy tickets to take my sons to a 36's game (which I still havent been able to find) i heard on the radio to look at ticketek site .. well it aint there

maybe that is the problem . noone can work out how to get tickets unless they are in the know.

try targeting the kids who play basketball for schools etc. there are thousands of them let them know what they have to do to get to see games and become involved and I am sure their parents will follow.

Reply #66507 | Report this post

Joe Morgenstern  
Years ago

KAZ,

Go to the game and you will get a ticket, a Sixers game has not sold out for nearly 3 years now.

99.9% sure that you will get a ticket at the door on any game (*unless it a semi-final or grand final).

On the night they have $20 ticket behind the baskets or $15 in the upper tier section.

Reply #66511 | Report this post

Quiet One  
Years ago

Kaz-

You can also log on to the Venuetix website- they sell the tickets on there.

Reply #66606 | Report this post

Amazed  
Years ago

Kaz is right, when our boy wanted to play basketball we had to search hi and low to find someone that could guide us in the right direction. I reckon it's about time we saw some bumper stickers for both the 36ers and local clubs, maybe some promotional stands at the major shopping centres. I'm sure you can all say go here or go there, but the deal is, it should be dead easy to find out who is your local district club and how to get in touch with them. Maybe these things have been done before, but that doesn't mean we cant do them again, only better.

Reply #66680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

with channel 31, is that in the city?

like Unley, Mitcham, Burnside, Forestville ect.???

Reply #66831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with amazed. It is not easy to work your way through the system to get to play basketball.

Firstly, many parents have only experienced the main core of sports in Aust so there is an immediate tendency to gravitate to those.

Secondly, without blaming parents etc who get out and try to coach a team at primary schoold, the development at the grass roots is basically non existent unless you are in the know and work through the system. Parents who have no knowledge of the sport will once again try to influence their child towards othe sports.

My eldest son, and I, had no knowledge of basketball. It was purely by chance that he played basketball as a friend's mum asked if he could play social as they were short of numbers. He went out and was having fun but was not really developing. Once again by chance his coach said to us he should be playing district. We had no idea what district basketball was. We were told about BASA, looked it up in the phone book and rang the nearest stadium. Guess what, no-one answers the phone for many days. Almost gave it away but by chance (once again) was speaking to some one at school that said they knew someone who played and finally got a contact number for us. He has now played district basketball for 7 years, generally Div 1 and all this by chance.

I now have a six year old who wants to play but even with my new found knowledge that is difficult due to the dwindling numbers of youngsters finding their way to the club. Following visits to the school last year he has picked up a footy for the first time and I think I may now be spending my Sundays standing in the pouring rain watching him play in the mud instead of have a nice coffee undercover watching him play bball.

I know this is a long post but my point is that for those of us uneductaed in the sport of bball it is not easy to work out what needs to be done to allow your child to develop in bball. It is only by luck rather than good planning that my eldest son ever knew about and then play district bball.

Reply #66868 | Report this post

Oldie  
Years ago

#66868, I will have to agree with you. I have been involved in basketball for over 15 years, and i am currently struggling to find a team to give me a game. This just proves that it is not just a Metro problem, it is also a problem in Regional areas too. I have just moved to the community, but noone seems to want me to play for them. It is a little disheartening, I am thinking about leaving the commuity and transfering back so I can still play the sport I love.

Reply #68089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My 11yr old son has been playing socially for about 4 years and really enjoying it. My husband and I organise the team, we do enjoy it as well. A drawback however is that our son really could benefit from district coaching, he has good skills and it is dissapointing to not see them be developed, that needs to come from a coach because as a parent it is almost impossible. We started district training but my son (and we support his decision) did not want to give up sunday cricket/football which clashes with Sunday ditrict training. The coach said it had to be one sport or the other and at 11yrs old I don't want him restricted in that way.

Over the last couple of years there has been an increase in the "district social" teams nominating in the rec centre competitons, the boys seem to cope better with this than the girls teams (I've been involved in girls social teams too). In the last year I've noticed a dramatic decrease in the purely social girls teams participating.

I'm not offering any solution here, just sharing what I've experienced.

It seems to be that there is a need for an inbetween (district & social) set up for kids who want to play bball but for many reasons (family, school, work, other commitments etc) can not meet the 2-3 training sessions that go with current district setup.

One more thing......for the last 6 months we have also been playing in a mixed teenage competition at St Bernards Campbelltown Leisure Centre, very informal sort of street ball kind of thing. You can come down with your own team or try and pickup on a team that may be short. You get 6 x 15 minute games at the moment it is $6. No uniform, coach or scorer needed. More info at
http://www.geocities.com/urbanstreetball/index.html

Sorry! .... this was a very long post
Mum in the N E area

Reply #68137 | Report this post

Daniel  
Years ago

Basketball is one of the most popular sports that people of all ages like to play in Australia. The only reason people dont support basketball as much as they play it is because NBL basketball is not advertised enough and only a small minority of people have pay tv to watch it.

We have one womens game a week on free to air television and it is on channel two!If NBL was on a popular channel then it would be greatly followed and even increase the popularity of playing the sport which would get Australia and basketball back on its feet.

Reply #99871 | Report this post

Ralph  
Years ago

Maybe we could get a few million from the USA? After all, we have Americans in at least 20% of our team makeup, 50% in live game commentary, Boomer's coach, NBL top executive, main sponsors, coaching staff..etc. I once visited schools and found the kids knew all about the NBA and wore their gear, but very little about the NBL and the Sixers in particular. (The money must not be very good for NBL referees as I don't know of any American referees.) With citizenship offered after 5(?) years, it makes room for more imports. They don't even have to give up their USA citizenship. Maybe the older generation here might just be more interested in the Aussie content, and perhaps feel that is the main reason why Aussie Rules will stay our main game. Kids might think that with NBL teams filling up with USA content, they should consider their sport choices and opt for (ugh) soccer! Dunno..

Reply #99909 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754