Anonymous
Years ago

Um.. Kobe just dropped 81

You have to be kidding me... 81 points in a game of basketball in this era..

Topic #5888 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

who were they playing

Reply #66951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and how many ASSISTS?

the guy's a hog, no body gets 81 points and passes of at the sametime. C'MON! Who could do that?

Not Kobe, i think he is trying to carry them to every win by himself.

For interest did his 81 points carry the Lakers to a win. It probably should off. It's not every day someone gets in the eighties.

Reply #66952 | Report this post

me  
Years ago

Seriously???, that is incredible

Reply #66953 | Report this post

Joe Morgenstern  
Years ago

Will be watching ESPN sport Centre at 5:30 tonight.

81 points thats just C-R-A-Z-Y

What are the odds that he will break the 100-point barrier before season end? 20-1, 30-1&. 100-1 or does no one give him a legitimate shot at it

Reply #66956 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba;_ylt=AvP0tFWFCiU9oOFttfoa6885nYcB

Reply #66959 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Anon #66952,

Yes, the Lakers won. They were down 63-49 at the half. Kobe 'only' had 26 to that stage, and knocked in 55 in the 2nd half to virtually sink the Raps himself. The Raptors scored 41 in the 2nd half & Kobe's team mates contributed 17 points after half time.

Reply #66960 | Report this post

Roy Bird  
Years ago

81 is huge who cares about his lack of assists. when people read the record books they arent gonna care how many assists he had. huge, i still cant believes it

Reply #66961 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Second best personal tally in NBA history. The previous #2 was Wilt's 78 in 1961, though that took three overtimes to achieve, which is worth noting.

Kobe had 27 points in the third and 28 more in the fourth.

Astounding.

Who needs assists when you're scoring at 61%!?

Reply #66963 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

Minutes
FG 28-46
3Pt 7-3
FT 18-20
Off 2
Reb 6
Ast 2
T/O 3
Steals 3
Blocks 1
Fouls 1
Points 81

Kobe averages 4.3 assists pg, All NBA players: - average is 2.9.

Reply #66964 | Report this post

panther lover  
Years ago

Kobe is one of the best players to play in the NBA evr. I would rate him in the top 20 easily. He is scoring a lot and his team is winning and holding 8th sopt in the west. Simply amazing. I wouldnt car if he took 48 shots and made 60% of them.

Reply #66968 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

What is the highest score in NBA? Who holds this?

Reply #66971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Be straight to the pub after that and phone the wife to prepare for overtime.

Reply #66973 | Report this post

panther lover  
Years ago

Wilt Chamberlain holds the highest score in NBA history. 100 pts. thats your answer. In the Know.

Reply #66974 | Report this post

In the Know  
Years ago

Thought so. Thank you panther lover.

Reply #66975 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know Robinson got 70, anyone got more than that?

Reply #66976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone else i mean. (other than kobe and wilt)

Reply #66977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. Wilt Chamberlain, Phi. March 2, 1962 vs. N.Y. 100
2. Kobe Bryant, L.A.L. Jan. 22, 2006 vs. TOR 81
3. Wilt Chamberlain, Phi. Dec. 8, 1961 (3OT) vs. L.A.L. 78
4. Wilt Chamberlain, Phi. Jan. 13, 1962 vs. Chi. 73
Wilt Chamberlain, S.F. Nov. 16, 1962 vs. N.Y. 73
David Thompson, Den. April 9, 1978 vs. Det. 73
7. Wilt Chamberlain, S.F. Nov. 3, 1962 vs. L.A.L. 72
8. Elgin Baylor, L.A.L. Nov. 15, 1960 vs. N.Y. 71
9. David Robinson, S.A. April 24, 1994 vs. L.A.C. 71
10. Wilt Chamberlain, S.F. March 10, 1963 vs. Syr. 70

Reply #66978 | Report this post

Wilt got 78, that was the previous highest I think. Baylor had 71 (LA laker franchise best)

Reply #66979 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

1. Wilt Chamberlain 100
2. Kobe Bryant 81
3. Wilt Chamberlain 78
4. Wilt Chamberlain 73
Wilt Chamberlain 73
David Thompson 73
7. Wilt Chamberlain 72
8. Elgin Baylor 71
David Robinson 71
10 Wilt Chamberlain 70

I think it's worth noting that David Thompson & David Robinson's big scores were on the last day/game of the season, and were blatant attempts at winning the scoring title above all else.

Reply #66980 | Report this post

versus the Lakers, ironically. heh.

Stop complaining he didnt get assists, people. Lakers won. If you score 81 you really shouldnt be passing.

Reply #66981 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

"I think it's worth noting that David Thompson & David Robinson's big scores were on the last day/game of the season, and were blatant attempts at winning the scoring title above all else."

Also note tho that Thompson missed out as Gervin then shot 63 later that day to pip him by 0.07 in the closest 1-2 finish ever.

Reply #66982 | Report this post

mr. clutch  
Years ago

anonymous who cares if he didnt get assists. when your getting 81 and shooting 60%fg well then its the TEAM thing to do to shoot the ball because basically every shot you take is probably a very high percentage shot. he's making a very strong shot at the season mvp

Reply #66984 | Report this post

mr. clutch  
Years ago

what are the chances of him cracking the 100 mark this season, i mean he got 55 points in the second half. i think hes the first person to actually have a legitimate chance of breaking the the "big dipper's" record

Reply #66986 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Unbelievable!

And they said the 100 would never be cracked in this era?!

Reply #66988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who said that?

Reply #66991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wilt was a man mountain in the era of 'white men can't jump' once the ball went inside he was always going to score more often than not

Reply #66995 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Plenty of people have said the 100 would not be beaten, many of the best of the best have scored the 60, but not too many have got much more than that.

Look at when guys have been trying to score big, they still only managed 70's!

Reply #67000 | Report this post

skip  
Years ago

And the Hundred still wont be cracked in this era.

Reply #67002 | Report this post

BigCountry  
Years ago

81 thats brilliant if Kobe can get the right people around him and win championships consistantly i think you will see another Jordan/pippen era. the guy is obviously on a mission for something.

may be he has reading the latest post on this site about the greatest player of all time and said "bugger this i'll show those damm Aussies".

we might be seeing Kobe maturing as a player put all the past bullshit behind him and god knows what he is really capable of.

81 DDDDAAAAMMMM

Reply #67005 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #67018 | Report this post

He will never get 100. 81 and 100 are a lot different. to get 100 he would need an extra quarter. (or to shoot 65 shots like wilt did)

Reply #67037 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Give him a triple overtime game a la Phoenix and he'd be a chance.

Reply #67038 | Report this post

NJ NETS 15  
Years ago

Kobe is still young... theres still more time 4 him to score 100

Reply #67039 | Report this post

Hopefully. Imagine what it would do for the game.

Reply #67040 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

Even I'll admit that this is something pretty special, and even though he WOULD'VE had to hog the ball, the guy got 81 points! But he won't get 100, that's just ridiculous.

Reply #67051 | Report this post

pickles housemate  
Years ago

a gu yscores 81 points - WTF would you want him to pass it!!!

Reply #67058 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

It's kind of funny watching those highlights: kids here in SA shoot a heap of 1 and 2 dribble jumpshots in practice and to see Kobe do it - time after time after time - exactly the same way the kids here do on the way to 81 is edifying, in a way.

I used to be non-committal towards Kobe but the more he tears it up this season the more fascinating I find him. Seriously, 81 is just flat out awesome.

Isaac - can you work out what his HSA for that game was?

Reply #67064 | Report this post

Hoop Addict  
Years ago

Bo,

90 HSA/TSNP.

I'm a bit the same with Kobe. Have never really fancied him, but he's really elevated himself beyond the selfish gunner level in the past few months. What he's doing is incredible.

Reply #67067 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

Mmmm...90 HSA. That sure is tasty.

Somewhere there's a PhD waiting to be written about how/why elite athletes can be absolute tools off the floor (see Warne, S.K.) but can leave all that crap behind - or is it because of all the crap - and just crank it up even further when they get back to playing.

Reply #67071 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

I think KB is a genuine chance to score 100 one day.

7 days ago people youi would say elevate his previous high score of 62 to 81? No way

BUT NOW 81 to 100? maybe an OT game.

never say never

Reply #67076 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

It was 55 in the second half right? game on the line I'm sure they Raptors were well aware of how they were losing this game as Kobe started amassing the points.

So if on the right night, Kobe decided to go for the 100 I truly believe that he has the ability, would they win that game, well that would depend on Kobe's FG% :-)

If he decided right from the start I don't think it's too far fetched for him to score 25 points per quarter?

Allen Iverson is another who could probably go close if he didn't pass, if he hit a few baskets early he could practically drive on every possesion and get fouled or a layup as he does so well (both that is).

Other than that can't see anyone else getting close. And no Lebron couldn't do it!

Reply #67188 | Report this post

BigCountry  
Years ago

DJ, absoulutley agree with you but give Lebron the same amount of time in the NBA as KB and AI, this kid is amazing he is capable of acheiving alot more (stats wise & personal game) than Kobe or Allan.(big call) all things going well Lebron will be up there with the greats.

Reply #67195 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

This is huge, just after scoring 62 points in 3 quarters and then deciding to sit the last out, has he changed his mind about his comments after that gaem? or did he turn it on because his team needed him to? I think he is capable of getting 100, but not sure if the opportunity will be there that he needs to be dropping shots that quickly especially early in the game(he only scored 26 in the first half). If he really wanted to get the hundred and was focused on it before the game(OK, a little selfish but who wouldnt if they had his skills) im sure he could get it. Iverson amd maybe even T-mac could get up there but not to the extent of Kobe, BTW he must be averaging close to 40ppg wouldnt he??

Reply #67211 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

He's averaging 36 per.

Reply #67225 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Found and interesting stat about Lisa Leslie:

Lisa Leslie
In Leslie's last home game as an Inglewood (Calif.) HS senior in February 1990, she went 37-for-56 from the floor and sank 27 free throws. Then the first half ended, with her team leading South Torrance, 102-24. She had scored 101 points. The game was over -- literally. South Torrance didn't come out for the second half.

Reply #67257 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

when are the Lakers playing Atlanta next? Kobe could try then

Reply #67259 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Interesting take from Scottie Pippen on Kobe's 81.

Article

Reply #67265 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

so lisa leslie scored 101points in HALF a game of highschool basketball!!?

Reply #67379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

www.mininova.org has the complete game for download via bittorrent

Reply #67387 | Report this post

HoopsFan  
Years ago

Yeah, I read that article from Scottie, and he was totally down playing Kobe's 81 pts. Though he did have some good pts. on how the NBA is gear toward offense and less on defense so it is a lot easier for players of Kobe's caliber to go off like he did. Back then, if you score 81, you would be in the hospital the next day. Defense was rough, like the way the Bad BOys Piston played in the 80s. Nevertheless, 81 is 81, and only 2 players have ever reached that milestone, and one of them is Kobe. Pippen is just jealous, he couldn't do anything without Jordan anyway.

Reply #67453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pippen played against the Lakers in playoffs in 1999,2000,2001 & 2002. Every one of those years he was the primary defender on Kobe, and every year Kobe out played Pippen. It must have been hard for Pippen to except, given his years of experience and the youth of Kobe. Sours grapes? Sure. You don't think he has something against the guy he guarded on the team that ended his season 4 years running? Pippen can go away now.

Reply #67459 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:27 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754