just curious
Years ago

what sport does not require a umpire

need to pick your brains for a sec

other than golf i can think of no mainstream sport that doesn't require an umpire of some sort to play a game.

yes in bball you can play pickup nd call your own fouls but in a proper environment you need the minimum of one ref to start the game.

obviously at nbl you need three, soccer you have to have a ref an linesman, tennis min of central umpire

golf is the only game i can think that you can just pick up the clubs and have a game but what if their is a dispute those golfers out there is it decided by a governing body?

Topic #5901 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about lawn and 10 pin bowling?

Reply #67090 | Report this post

Nutwork  
Years ago

All past times, not sports.

Reply #67091 | Report this post

just curious  
Years ago

doesn't lawn bowls have someone that is in supervisory capacity if the distance is in doubt etc

ten pin bowling you are right (i think) but at competition level is there a tournament committee that oversees disputes?

in competition billards or 8 ball their is a umpire who watches for touched balls

Reply #67092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Definition of sport:

1. An athletic (especially outdoor) activity
2. Any game or pastime, an outdoor pastime such as fishing or hunting

etc.

Sorry nutwork, they are all sports - lawn bowls was/is(?) part of the Commonwealth games while there are professional "athletes" making a living from playing 10 pin bowls.

Reply #67093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just curious, there are similar structures to oversee golf as there is for bowling. Do you mean an umpire who adjudicates on the play as it happens (real time) or an official/referee who is available for dispute resolution or rule clarification

What about darts or poker!!!

Reply #67095 | Report this post

Bo Hamburger  
Years ago

I can't make any meaningful contribution to this thread but am happy to use it to change tack ever so slightly:

Is tennis the only sport where you have to warm up with the person/opposition you're about to play? You just can't imagine two basketball teams coming out and doing layups together, for example - or throwing a couple of quick warm-up jabs on the chin of your rival if you're a boxer.

Watching the tennis the last few days, it just seems weird that before you attempt to start beating up on your opponent, you have to play nice with them first.

Reply #67097 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Poker has an adjudicator (sp?)to make sure bets are correct and that there are no time delays.

Ten Pin Bowling has a pro circuit in the USA ( doesn't everything?) so that would be a sport IMO.

just curios how many disputes could there be in Ten Pin Bowling? It is not like you can argue that the ball was not out or that the pin did fall down.

Reply #67098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and just to continue the pastime definition which is a recreational activity for enjoyment, and I am made to think of this because of Kobe's 81 points and his comparison to Wilt, who in his biography indicated he bedded 20,000 different partners; is sex a sport because from my memory I haven't had an umpire at those events (I think)!!!

Reply #67099 | Report this post

just curious  
Years ago

#67099 maybe your partner is the judge (isn't a judge another type of referee)

yes bo tennis is a bit strange in that aspect badmington, table tennis would be the same and possibly volleyball

Kent - perhaps i was thinking if the you kept your own score and decided to shave a few pins off your score who judges your sheet is correct or does your partner have the right to bash you senseless in frustration at the end of the game.

Reply #67102 | Report this post

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

i say that the tv coverage of Ten Pin Bowling would increase if it meant that any complaints were satisfied with duelling pistols ( possibly in the shape of bowling pins for novelty factor).

The bowlers would be lined up back to back along the lane march the required steps and then bang bang.

wow that Red Bull has really kicked in.....

Reply #67104 | Report this post

just curious  
Years ago

what i'm after i suppose is to see if there is a sport that at high level or comp level not just two friends have a friendly game of tennis calling their own errors etc

that doesn't involve some real time umpiring

once a game is created aka basketball once dr naismith created the games he created rules for it to be played by. by creating rules everyone is playing the same game not variations of it. to ensure rules are played by you have some sort of judge or referee

swimming have judges who watch the starts, the lanes, the changes, the finishes. they have offical timers.

it sort of like what comes first the chicken or the egg if the game is established and rules are part of keeping that game that particular game - you can't continue the growth of the game, any game without some type of officaldom, or IMO you would end up with a game, even if it was tiddlywinks dominated by the crafiest, loudest, toughest etc.

Reply #67105 | Report this post

just curious  
Years ago

in that case then Kent so would syncronised swimming can you see them being held under water by their opponents if there was a dispute?

Reply #67106 | Report this post

dick vitale  
Years ago

If one syncronised swimmer drowned would the others have to do the same?

Reply #67108 | Report this post

dick vitale  
Years ago

Sailing, sailboarding, fishing, surfing are things that may not require an umpire.

Reply #67109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

chess?

Reply #67113 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

fishing comps have a judge and so do the rest of the sports you suggested Dick,

also golf there is a Official who follows every group how tea off making sure they adhere to the rules and to the spirit of play

Reply #67114 | Report this post

just curious  
Years ago

i'm pretty sure chess has some sort of umpire or judge

Reply #67115 | Report this post

dick vitale  
Years ago

Sorry Thomo, I was going along the lines of the question that what sport can be performed without the necessity of an umpire.

Reply #67116 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

rollerball

Reply #67118 | Report this post

pickles  
Years ago

ultimate frisby requires no umpire either

Reply #67119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, ultimate frisby the players are their own umpires. I saw it on Totally Wild one time and they specifically said that :P

Reply #67123 | Report this post

Just Curious  
Years ago

but pickles is ultimate frisby a mainline sport?

can't think of the last time i saw an ultimate frisby comp of any description

Reply #67126 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

ultimate frisby isan insane sport. played it in pe lastYear

Reply #67127 | Report this post

DJ  
Years ago

Marbles

BTW Lawn Bowls is at the commenwealth games

Reply #67145 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All X Games events

They have judges but no Refs.

you can do whatever the hell you like.

but try not to kill yourself doing it.

Reply #67151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

um...

swimming?

Reply #67185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Swimming has 'umpires'. How else can a swimmer get disqualified.

Reply #67187 | Report this post

pickles  
Years ago

just curious.. have you ever looked for it?? i think it's pretty popular overeseas, not so high profile here.

Reply #67204 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

yeah ultimate frisby is pretty popular in the US, especially amoung people at college

Reply #67208 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

hacky sack, it has rules but no umpire.

Reply #67210 | Report this post

VC fan  
Years ago

i dont think you could really call it a sport tho, otherwise you could say crap like skipping and hopscotch, and that would just be getting stupid!

Reply #67212 | Report this post

Bob Knight  
Years ago

Underwater basket weaving.

Reply #67217 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

I play Ultimate for Adelaide Uni. It's a great sport, the no umpire thing gives it a great atmosphere.

Reply #67239 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

The only umpireless sports would be those that involve a measurement of distance. You can't dispute the distance once measured however some sort of overseer has to be there to ensure that it is achieved correctly and within the rules. If its a competition of any sort, someone has to be the judge.

Reply #67243 | Report this post

AMum  
Years ago

Junior tennis - the kids make their own calls! I am amazed at how honest they are...

Reply #67245 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

Practically everything at Winter Olympics as the umpires are smart and aren't going out in the cold!

Reply #67269 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754