Liam Flynn
Years ago

Sturt U/20 Mens Team 2004/2005

The Sturt Basketball Club is looking for male players to fill positions in their U/20 Division 1 team for the Summer/Winter Seasons in 2004/2005. We are looking for players OUTSIDE of the District basketball domain who must be born in 1986 & 1987.

The club has an excellent senior basketball program, offering a smooth transition for U/20 players to move into the older age teams at a level that is most suitable to them. Our U/20 men program is geared to prepare junior players for the rigors of senior basketball, and so will not only include individual skill development and game play, but also training habits for high performance, self evaluation and mental preparation.

The Head Coach of the Sturt U/20s is Duncan Kinnaird, who is a past State League player with North Adelaide, and most recently an assistant coach with the Sturt Div 1 U/18 Boys. The team currently trains on Wednesday nights from 7pm  8pm at Concordia College, with games being held on Friday nights. The other mid week session involves a training or game with the senior men's team (either div 1, 2 or 3 depending on the ability of the individual player), which gives all U/20 players an excellent opportunity to push for selection in senior teams. Our Senior Men's Team was the ABA Champions in 2001 & 2002 and is coached by two of the finest coaches in South Australia, former Adelaide 36ers Assistant Coach Scott Ninnis and former Hunter Pirates Assistant coach Rick Castle.

If you are interested in playing District basketball for the Sturt U/20 men, call Duncan Kinnaird on 0407 720 235.

Topic #597 | Report this topic

Three Seconds  
Years ago

Liam

I find this one of the strangest post since this forum started especially after all you and Scott Butler have written recently of just how wonderful things are at Sturt then all of a sudden you are seeking players to fill your teams in the Under 20 men group.
Perhaps you can explain how this has happened I for one are very interested.

Reply #5620 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Three Seconds,

Not sure why you would find this post wierd. We are looking for players outside of the district basketball domain to fill our U/20 Div 1 team. We have had players leave this age group to pursue other interests or for study reasons (as most clubs do at this age level) so we are looking to 'beef up' the numbers by promoting the squad on this forum and through the BASA website. I think its pretty self explanitory but drop me an email if you have any further questions.

Regards

Liam

Reply #5621 | Report this post

incognito  
Years ago

It looks to me like Sturt has got them in a position where they have some great assets to market themselves. This is great, agressive recruiting.

It seems obvious that the players that are most likely to be interested in this kind of information at U20 level would be the ones already playing district basketball.

If you were critical of West Adelaide's attempts at recruiting in the recent "is this allowed?" discussion, and been critical of that, you would think that those same people would be critical of this sturt advert.

Reply #5622 | Report this post

sabre  
Years ago

In the first sentence:

We are looking for players OUTSIDE of the District basketball domain who must be born in 1986 & 1987.

I think there is no comparison.

Reply #5623 | Report this post

Three Seconds  
Years ago

Yes it is hard to imangine someone who has not played basketball before or has not played with a district basketball club in their junior years just turning up and being able to play in the U20 competition although we do no that if anyone can do it Sturt can

Reply #5624 | Report this post

Scott Butler  
Years ago

I think you would find that there are many players playing school, church or social ball but who may not have been able to commit the time. They finish high school and may now be able to.

Everyone focusses on the drop off at Under 20's, why not turn the tables and recruit!

Granted, the standard of player will be lower, but there might be a couple "out of the box"!

Reply #5625 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Incognito,

Just to make things Chrystal clear we are targeting players who are not playing district basketball because they are usually the players that are more likely to be receptive to a program that has more 'game play' with older players and is more empowering and reflective of senior basketball.

I think these players have probably decided at some time that most junior programs (including our junior program) are maybe too 'drill' oriented, and this is a great opportunity for them to come along and PLAY in a basketball program that still has the organisation and the professionalism of district ball but is better catered to their needs.
This forum has a lot of school players who are not district basketballers reading it so I decided to put some info up. There is certainly nothing 'sinister' going on here.

Cheers

Reply #5626 | Report this post

Pioneer  
Years ago

There might be players in that age group playing school or social ball that would be quite capable of filling the postion and had never thought of playing District ball. They could be students or workers. I have examples of this happening in previous years on many occassions all the way back to the original USA tours.

Reply #5628 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

What is wrong with someone posting a recruitment notice on this forum? Get of his back I say, good initiative.

Reply #5629 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Great Pioneer..send them our way!

Reply #5631 | Report this post

saw  
Years ago

I agree with Incognito. My first thought when I read this was that this is similar to the West Adelaide issue. The only difference is that Sturt are targeting non District players.

However, based on the sales pitch talk which looks quite appealing, I am sure there might be some current district players think this is good and approach Sturt anyway.

Will Sturt refuse these approaches? If so, no problems; if not then one must question their credibility. We'll just have to wait and see.

Reply #5632 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Either way I still do not see the problem of trying to recruit players this way.

Reply #5633 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

I think Nick Hambour only played school ball for Pembroke (?) and the only juniors he played was U20's, so he is proof that the players are out there (If incorrect please have a go).

Reply #5634 | Report this post

Three Seconds  
Years ago

I just knew there would be no show without Punch. Thanks for the explanation Scott

Reply #5635 | Report this post

I have just what you need - i will send you an email Liam - couple of good u20s

Reply #5648 | Report this post

Lommax  
Years ago

Northerner once again you are incorrect. Nick Hambour played all his juniors at Norwood until u/18 when he stopped and just played school ball. Then got spotted by the rockets and the rest is history.

By the way Jason Kidd is a hack!!

Liam will Ninny still be coaching Sturt now that he has the academy commitments??

Reply #5719 | Report this post

Northerner  
Years ago

Thanks for that Lommax...

If Kidd is such a hack why did Dallas want him?? They must know Nowitski can't create his own shot and needs someone to pass him the ball??

Reply #5720 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Lommax,

Ninnis is interested in doing the Sturt job again, but if the Academy is going ahead he possably may step down in which case, Rick will coach the men.

Reply #5730 | Report this post

Billy  
Years ago

Wow...Sturt U/20's will be great! Good junior development down there....And Rick...what a move

Reply #5732 | Report this post

Mr. Assist  
Years ago

Perhaps if Sturt had retained their u/18 2's this season they wouldn't need to be looking for players.
I hear they didn't field a team in that grade this year.

Reply #5856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Northerner once again you are incorrect. Nick Hambour played all his juniors at Norwood until u/18 when he stopped and just played school ball. Then got spotted by the rockets and the rest is history."

Nick only played for Norwood for 2 years in under 14.

Reply #17735 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:19 am, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754